the home of the turntable

So I bent my cantilever... thoughts?

the thin end of the wedge

So I bent my cantilever... thoughts?

Postby kindkid419 » 31 May 2012 19:24

So being careless, I bent my cantilever on my MC cart :oops: :evil: . I use the onzow zerodust geltab on my styli after every use. Well, I gave the cantilever a good knock while taking it out from under the cart #-o . I know I should have moved the tonearm first, but between the onzow, the milti zerostat, and carbon-fiber brushes, it takes forever to flip an LP! I know now to take my time, always. The hurry is not worth damaging a very expensive cart. I played a few LPs with the cantilever in its new position :? , and I didn't notice any changes in sound :D . Also, when playing a LP, the cantilever straightened out in the groove. After a day or two, I realized this was probably putting unwanted stress on the cantilever, so I re-alligned the cantilever with my protractor. I didn't notice any difference in sound, it still sounds great!, but the cart body is now on a major angle. [-X

My question is... is it more important for the cantilever or the cart body to be square with my protractor ? I use the supplied ortofon alignment tool as well mofi geo disk. Also, with the geo disk, every cart I have ever mounted, I am a hair short of the proper over-hang, while being as far forward in the headshell as I can.

Has the accuracy of my table been seriously compromised?

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated...
kindkid419

United States of America

Re: So I bent my cantilever... thoughts?

Postby keiko5 » 31 May 2012 20:19

"My question is... is it more important for the cantilever or the cart body to be square with my protractor ?"

Good question, and I'm curious of the answers you will recieve. my first reaction is that the stylus should sit square in the groove to minimize wear and distortion, but then I thought that it is important for the signal generator (body) to be square in order to optimize separation and imaging. I guess if it were me, I'd try and find the best compromise position where both the stylus and body are a bit off.

I have successfully straightened several cantilevers. If the cantilever is not kinked, gentle pressure can be applied to coax it back into alignment. Of course you risk snapping it off, so you need to weigh the risk and benefit.

Kevin
keiko5
contributor

United States of America

Postby steve195527 » 31 May 2012 20:33

when supex 900's were popular it was unusual to actually buy a new one with the cantilever totally lined up with the sides of the body,the advice was to line the cantilever square(or as square as possible:-bit difficult actually lining the cantilever 100%!)in the headshell/arm,how big an angle have you deflected it?
steve195527
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby kindkid419 » 31 May 2012 20:40

Thanks Kevin

The cantilever is not kinked. I was able to straighten it out some gently using the onzow pad to pull/push it back closer to where it was. I didn't feel comfortable applying any more force in fear of it breaking it. I am tempted to take another stab at straightening it, but I do not know if it is worth risking it.

"how big an angle have you deflected it?"

Very little, I would guess 5-10 degrees tops
kindkid419

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps