the home of the turntable

Rega RP6 Review

on level ground

Re: Rega RP6 Review

Postby colver » 14 May 2012 14:50

Just this morning i spent £350 on loads of upgrades/tweaks for my P25 as a birthday present to myself. I purchased the tt last year for my birthday for £300, add that to the £350 for upgrades comes to £650. Im hoping the finished tt will be much better than a p5 and very close to a p7. Considering that a second hand p5 will cost more than £650 i think i may have done ok. Some of the items in the upgrade list consists of a 20mm acrylic platter and the srm-tech silent base which decouples the motor from the tt, both of these are from srm-tech's 'ultimate Rega' upgrade package. Also a machined aluminium sub-plater from Isokinetik is amongst the list of goodies, hopefully this and the rest of the kit will arrive in the middle of the week so should be up and running for the weekend. I will post my review then. Colin.
colver

Great Britain

Postby gabriel1998 » 16 May 2012 04:17

colver wrote:Just this morning i spent £350 on loads of upgrades/tweaks for my P25 as a birthday present to myself. I purchased the tt last year for my birthday for £300, add that to the £350 for upgrades comes to £650. Im hoping the finished tt will be much better than a p5 and very close to a p7. Considering that a second hand p5 will cost more than £650 i think i may have done ok. Some of the items in the upgrade list consists of a 20mm acrylic platter and the srm-tech silent base which decouples the motor from the tt, both of these are from srm-tech's 'ultimate Rega' upgrade package. Also a machined aluminium sub-plater from Isokinetik is amongst the list of goodies, hopefully this and the rest of the kit will arrive in the middle of the week so should be up and running for the weekend. I will post my review then. Colin.

What cartridge are you running?
Lenco L75|AM Tonearm|Denon 103D WB| Bob's Cinemag|Hagerman Cornet 2|Aikido Octal Linestage|Denon POA 1500|Tubelab SSE| Axiom M60ti
gabriel1998

Postby kabayiri » 16 May 2012 08:47

@Colver

Which subplatter did you choose? I went for the GTS2 from Isokinetik, and I was very impressed with it. It's well made and everything you need is in the box.

Congrats on your purchases. I can only think of one problem, and I guess it is a nice problem. :)

I would be tempted to install all 3 in one go, but then, you don't know which upgrade makes the biggest improvement. It's why I have been trying to buy just one item at a time, even though postage can work out more.
kabayiri

Great Britain

Postby colver » 16 May 2012 13:12

Thats the whole lot fitted. The full SRM-TECH package, Isokinetiks cheaper sub-platter (as it has more mass) and white belt. All i can say is that with the massive B&W 683's and huge Marantz Pm 7200 amp, the sound is completely addictive and very intoxicating. Extremely smooth, you can turn the volume up without the so called 'splasyness' getting in the way. The bass has become slightly more controlled, more of a hard kick on a solid wall than a kick on a big soft bum if you know what i mean. Bass depth gets a little lower at the right moments, thank god i dont live in flat or i would be evicted!
Many tracks, for example The Police album - Ghost In The Machine - track 1.- Spirits In The Material World portray that 'Live performance' kind of sound that seems to surround you with brutal power and realism that you would normaly experience if you were at a performance in smaller Theatres.
My recent purchase of a Musical Fidelity X-LPSv3 has made a massive difference alone, and at £90 2nd hand pritine boxed was litte bargain. The Cartridge im using is Ortofon 2m Bronze however i think i might need to replace stylus in a few months as the needle is starting to sit a bit low. In all honesty i recon a P7 would be struggling to improve much on this sound and that you would have to go to the P9 at £2700 to get much improvement, Ive spent £670 on tt and upgrades, The cart was £107 2nd hand boxed as new-bargain! Plus the £90 for the Phono amp it all comes to £867 so i recon its all worked out really well. I will probably put in a post on the subject with a few photos later on.
colver

Great Britain

Postby gabriel1998 » 16 May 2012 14:23

colver wrote:The Cartridge im using is Ortofon 2m Bronze however i think i might need to replace stylus in a few months as the needle is starting to sit a bit low

Too bad you don't live in the states. I don't know if you have a retipping service over there. I have a denon 103D in a golden audio wood body with a Ruby Cantilever and a Nude Contact Line Diamond. This cartridge is incredible. You see people spend thousands of dollars on cartridges only have some sort of special or nude Elliptical Diamond. The Contact Line Diamond has 3 times the contact area in the vertical direction of the groove wall compared to an elliptical shaped diamond. Which means? a ridiculous amount of music being extracted. and less groove damage. Total price?

Used Denon 103d = $125
GA Wood Body = $130
SS Retip = $270
Total = $525
Lenco L75|AM Tonearm|Denon 103D WB| Bob's Cinemag|Hagerman Cornet 2|Aikido Octal Linestage|Denon POA 1500|Tubelab SSE| Axiom M60ti
gabriel1998

Postby colver » 16 May 2012 15:24

Thats about the price of my 2m bronze cartrige when new! I have a pickering xsv-4000 cart that i think needs a new stylus but you cant get them here, ive been told you can fit a Stanton 881 to it but im not too sure. I checked it under my microscope but its got a very unusual diamond with a strange irregular shape so its hard to tell if its worn. Can anyone remember the type and name of this diamond? To be honest its that long since ive heard the Pickering that im not sure if it was any good. It was however quite expensive. Ive also got a AKG P8-E which i think is one of the best mm carts ever made but one side is blown - a common problem with these carts. Over here we have the 'Cartridge Man' and even he said he couldnt fix it. I recon an entry level Benz or Dynavector will be my next cart.
colver

Great Britain

Postby colver » 17 May 2012 20:58

Remembered, its a Stereohedron diamond, odd looking so not easy to inspect for wear under my microscope.
colver

Great Britain

Postby Billnot » 20 May 2012 10:55

I've had my RP6 (in black) with Exact cartridge about 3 weeks now. I'm delighted with it. I bought it purely on the basis of a demo. My existing 25 year old Linn vs. The P6 vs. a new Linn (with enhancements taking it to GBP4000). No surprise that it beat my old Linn, but I also preferred it to the 4000 quid Linn! It's so hard to put these things into words, but the ones that spring to mind are "enjoyable" and "involving". The dealer offered to demo other cartridges, but I find it very hard to compare what you're hearing now with what you heard half an hour ago, so I went with the package as offered.

I have to bear in mind that I can'r chang the last link in the system - my ears - which although in good condition for their 73 years, have undoubtedly lost a bit of the top end they had 50 years ago.

My advice - if you can, audition the RP6; it's a gem.

BTW, I love being called a "junior" member - it's a long time since I was called Junior :lol:
Billnot

Great Britain

Postby henlee » 07 Jan 2013 01:19

Proud owner of a black RP6 Ortofon 2m black cart.,,Graham Slee reflex M Phono amp must say , after 6 month's she is really starting to open up could not be happier =D> =D> =D>
henlee

Postby HBA » 09 Jan 2013 17:08

nabil wrote:Gabriel, I too had a P25 and, like you, I loved it. It was, and is, a very fine table. I bought a P7 to replace it several months ago, and I must tell you that the P7 is a much better table by large margin; it's not even close. That being said, I'm sure that the new P6 betters the P5 it replaces and that the P8 will better the P7. The question is by how much. Once you get into P7 and P9 area it becomes a matter of nuance and subtitle levels of refinement. Going from a P25 to a P9 is a huge leap up and easily noticeable, going from P7 to a P9 less so. The improvements are there, but less obvious.

Raven, the Brit mags tend to like Rega, that being said I think the P6 is a very fine table that would give you loads of enjoyment. Listen to it yourself and let your ears be the final judge.

Sorry...I am very late with my comment here .
Anyway, I use to have the Rega P7 and when I had te opportunity of comparing it side by side with the Rega P9 in my home and I immediately thought I should replace the P7.
The P7 is an wonderful turntable...wonderful, however, the P9 is in a completely different league..it is a huge sound improvement.
Remarks : I had the opportunity of making a "funny" play, changing the ceramic platters between them...and I can point out that the P9 sounds better with its own platter as well as the P7 sounds better with P9's platter...funny. :D

Regards

Hernani
HBA

Postby gmw65 » 12 Jan 2013 16:41

Henlee, I have the same setup as you and I'm very happy too. I'm wondering if you are using vta spacers and if so do you hear any difference. I'm not using them myself yet.
gmw65

Canada

Postby HBA » 21 Jan 2013 19:45

I am using the VTAF from Peter Riggle...a pain in the a....to install , however, at the end I got a very good result. Better focus, image and details.

I recommend it with some restrictions due to the difficult I thought to install it properly .

Here some pictures :

Rega P9's owners...I suggest to invest in a better power cord for the P9's TTPSU. The own Rega's power cord is a good match .

Best Regards
HBA

Previous

Return to Rega