the home of the turntable

Help on Technics 1210 tonearm repair

turning japanese

Help on Technics 1210 tonearm repair

Postby headshell » 09 Mar 2003 21:11

I am helping a friend with his Technics 1210 turntable and want to do a litte research before making adjustments or replacements. His tonarm pulls to away from the record  towards the locking position. I have leveled his turnatable and it is not an issue with balancing the headshell/cartridge. The pressure is so great it is impossible to balance the headshell......i have never seen this problem before. There is something wrong with the tonearm assembly. it doesn't appear that tightening the tonearm screw or the screw at the vertical pivot point  will correct the problem. Has anyone seen this before? ANY help would be greatly appeciated.......all the other boards i post are coming up with nothing. feel free to ask for clarification on the problem......i will be checking back VERY frequently. Thanks
headshell

Re: Help on Technics 1210 tonearm repair

Postby ethana » 22 Apr 2003 06:18

With the anti-skating set to zero, the tonearm should not pull towards the arm rest. If it still does it's likely one of the tonearm pivots is mashed. Try loosening the top pivot and see if the problem gets better.
ethana

Postby Clark2000 » 29 May 2003 19:51

I'm having this problem as well.  I have adjusted the screw on top of the tonearm, but that didn't get me very far.  The only way that it made any difference was if I made it so tight that the movement of the tonearm was restricted by it.  This is obviously not a viable solution.  I also tried to mess around with the screws on each side of the tonearm suspension system.  I'm not exactly sure what to do with those adjustments, but I think that might be a possible place to fix the problem.  The other possible solution that I have in mind is calibrating the anti skate adjustment.  It is controlled by a spring (from what I have been told) and it can come out of calibration after a while.  Does anybody know how to recalibrate the anti skate mechanism?  Any other suggestions to fix this problem?
Clark2000

Postby evorp » 30 May 2003 10:58

http://www.djforums.com/tutorials/turnt ... enance.php i have fixed the problem now in a club where i spin  the 1210s work like champs greetz :)
evorp

Hi

Postby djiki » 20 May 2008 14:36

I have had the exact same problem. I have fixed it by turning the screw at the top of the gimbal but my fix is not perfet. Can you please enlighten me by how you fixed it. The link you have posted doesn't work.

iki
djiki

Postby Arlequen » 25 May 2008 20:44

Arlequen

Hey

Postby djiki » 26 May 2008 10:21

Thank you very much for updating that link. I really appreciate it.
By the way I've just had a look and it's awesome.

iki
djiki

Postby Arlequen » 28 May 2008 20:43

You're welcome Iki
Arlequen

Postby gevola » 09 Jun 2008 13:31

Ciao Arlequen

I bought a couple of Technics 1210 M5G, but unfortunately one of this, if I set Antiskating to zero, the tone arm will move to the center of turntable.
Do you have executed the operation described into the http://www.djforums.com/content/2007/04 ... roduction/ web page ?
I'm afraid to damage the turntable.
gevola

Postby gevola » 09 Jun 2008 14:25

At 0 or just behind, the arm slowly goes towards the centre.

So if at zero the tomearm goes towards, for you is correct ?
But why this happens. It is a wrong calibration of factory ?
An waht do you think about send to a repair center ?
gevola

Postby dotfret » 10 Jun 2008 02:40

When I bought my SP1200 the arm was a wreck, but for £6 I was pleased to have the deck. The arm would not move towards the centre of the record, however the antiskate dial was set. The topscrew had been over-tightened so much that I had to use a hammer and punch to free it off! Why, I do not know - but I do know that sometimes you cannot rely on things being as you would expect.
dotfret

Postby royphil345 » 14 Jun 2008 05:24

The top screw everyone is taking about, is the main arm bearing, if you tighten it of course the arm won't move, and you will ruin all your records. Leave it completely alone!!! Don't follow DJ advice to the contrary.

Regards

Dave

Absolutely right!!!

If the arm moves very slightly in either direction with the anti-skate set at "0" it's perfectly normal. If there seems to be quite a bit of force with a setting of "0", you have a problem with the anti-skate mechanism, NOT the tonearm bearings which should be adjusted for the lowest possible friction without play... and probably shouldn't be messed with at all by someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

As far as setting the anti-skate using a blank piece of vinyl... It can't be done. Anti-skate compensates for the force caused be the grooves always pulling the stylus towards the center of the record. You cannot set the anti-skate to compensate for this force if there are no grooves and it's not being applied. The angle of the headshell causes the stylus to skid one way or the other on blank vinyl, but this has nothing to do with skating force (caused by the grooves always pulling the stylus towards the center of the record) and cannot be used to set the anti-skate correctly.
royphil345
contributor

Postby scoop » 12 Sep 2008 13:08

I have just fitted an arm from a 1210 (bought on ebay for £50) to a Goldring GL75. It has the same same problem - i.e. the arm returning to the rest when balnanced with no bias compensation applied (I don't like the term 'anti-skating). The "absolute anti-skate" solution suggested on 'djforums.com' is complete nonsense. All it does is create excess friction - which (as has already been said) you certainly don't want! Ideally there should be a tiny (barely percepible) amount of free play in the bearing - present across the full sweep of the arm - with the gimbal correctly adjusted.

This seems to be a lateral balance issue and unfortunately no adjustment is provided. There are no other forces acting on the arm. The spring operated bias comp. device on this arm is very poor and does not operate evenly. My solution so far has been to retard the mechanism by 1 gram. For the time being this has been satisfactory - tracking an Ortofon VMS30 in an ADC headshell. As yet I've not tried other carts.

If anyone else wishes to carry out the modification I'll be happy to explain further.
scoop

Postby scoop » 12 Sep 2008 13:41

Please excuse my typos in the above post.

It's interesting to note the various methods arm manufacturers have used to set lateral balance. SME's 'wayrod' is perhaps the neatest. The Lenco L75 method is to clamp the main counterweight slightly tilted to one side: crude, but effective!
scoop

Technics Repair - Turntable Repair - DIY Videos...

Postby djproaudio » 13 Dec 2008 03:10

We are working on a series of DIY videos for Technics Repair, as well as general Turntable Repair and servicing. So far, only a few videos are up, and we are working on finishing up the others. We expect to have about 20 videos just on the Technics Turntable Repair, Modification, and Calibration alone.

These videos are done by our professional service team in our service department.

Feel free to check them out by going to: http://djprolab.com

If you have any specific questions on tonearm calibration or replacement please post here, and I'll help you out.

In regards to the DJForums.com instructions on cleaning and calibrating the tonearm by removing the pivoting screw, we do not recommend this. We've seen toooo many times that people just don't know how to put it back together, and they have a tonearm that skips on them. We don't even like messing with the pivoting screw, because over time, it will become loose again, and of course always at the worst possible moment. It is our policy here at the service shop to ONLY replace tonearms and not try and fix any damaged ones. We can fix them, but cannot apply any sort of warranty to the work. For new tonearms, we have no problem applying our 6 month warranty.

But most of all, please use common sense when working on your turntables, or any gear for that matter. If you feel you might be getting in over your head, please contact professional help.

Peace.

- OPTiC.
Master Tech
djproaudio

Next

Return to Technics