the home of the turntable

B&O Beogram RX2

snap, crackle and pop

B&O Beogram RX2

Postby cobbler » 06 Mar 2012 13:42

Hi all,
I just inherited a B&O Beogram RX2, it is in full working order, and has a MMC3 stylus. I was wondering, seeing as it dates back to 1986, how would I know if the belt needs replacing? It had been barely used, and then stored in an attic for years, and to be fair I was suprised it worked at all, but after a bit of use it exhibits no signs of trouble at all. There seems to be no issue with playback at either speed. Can I assume all is well or is there anything I can check?
cobbler

Great Britain

Re: B&O Beogram RX2

Postby Coffee Phil » 06 Mar 2012 19:29

Hi Cobbler,

Welcome to the forum.

If you have no slipping or a flat spot which makes noise as it goes around I'd say your belt is fine.

I have a Beogram 3000 which predates your machine by about a decade and it's original belt is fine. B&O seemed to have the material science of turntable belts down pretty well.

Phil

cobbler wrote:Hi all,
I just inherited a B&O Beogram RX2, it is in full working order, and has a MMC3 stylus. I was wondering, seeing as it dates back to 1986, how would I know if the belt needs replacing? It had been barely used, and then stored in an attic for years, and to be fair I was suprised it worked at all, but after a bit of use it exhibits no signs of trouble at all. There seems to be no issue with playback at either speed. Can I assume all is well or is there anything I can check?
Coffee Phil
long player
long player

United States of America

Re: B&O Beogram RX2

Postby cobbler » 06 Mar 2012 19:41

Ok thanks, i was concerned that because it was sat unused for so long and subjected to the inevitable temperature variances during that time, the belt would be past its best, even though it's not broken. Well that's put my mind at rest anyway. Much appreciated.
cobbler

Great Britain

Return to Turntables and Tonearms