the home of the turntable

Gates CB-77 vs Rok B12H?

snap, crackle and pop

Gates CB-77 vs Rok B12H?

Postby evilw » 23 Feb 2012 09:03

Hello friends,

I am new to the forum and I know that some of these questions have probably been addressed ad-nauseam, but I really need some advice from you experts.

I own two ROK B12Hs and one GATES CB-77. I have had them in storage for years with the plan of restoring them one day to play my 78s, 45s and older 33s. That day has now come and It is a bit impractical for me to keep them all, so I was wondering which of the two is considered "better"?

I really like them both and need some impartial advice.

Thanks in advance,
-EW
evilw
contributor

United States of America

Re: GATES CB-77 vs ROK B12H?

Postby charliewhite » 25 Feb 2012 06:12

Good question

I also own a ROK B12H & I have a Gates CB77 on the way to me. Both are considered up at the top of the line for their respected companies.

The Gates has a strong following and so does the ROK. I have had numerous people tell me that the CB77(12") & CB500(16") when properly restored & plinthed are without a doubt untouchable in the Broadcast area.

If you have 2 ROK B12h's, why not just sell one of them? Keep the other & keep the CB77. Thats what I would do anyway. You will be one happy camper by owning both of them.

Use the money from the one you sell to upgrade the others. Without a tonearm you could definitely get at least $300 & probably more for it. With a tonearm, the price will only go up. Of course that is dependent on what model the tonearm is.

What kind of tonearms do you have on them?

Could you posts some pics of them?

Just my 2 cents,
Charlie 8)
charliewhite
contributor

United States of America

Re: GATES CB-77 vs ROK B12H?

Postby evilw » 26 Feb 2012 02:10

Thanks for the reply Charlie,
I was starting to get a complex ... lol
Your advice is much appreciated and I agree with your idea. It is hard for me to split up the B12Hs as they are consecutive serial numbers and were together in one Radio Station, but I love the looks of the CB77..

The ROK B12Hs came with these "like new" Sparta Tonearms with Stanton 600s.

The Gates has a Micro-Trak 303.

Thanks again!
-EW
evilw
contributor

United States of America

Re: Gates CB-77 vs Rok B12H?

Postby mardan » 20 Mar 2012 19:22

I can testify for the CB-77. It's fairly easy to restore, built like a tank, easy to use and with the right plinth and set up, killer sound. I believe it to be a very under rated idler drive table. One of it's unique features is the inboard drive hub on the platter. This allows the idler wheel to turn much slower than most other tables. The massive Ashland motor turns at just 600 rpm. I'm using the Micro-Trak 303 arm but I've disabled the plug at the head shell and ran new Cardas wiring direct from my Zu-103 cartridge to the pre amp. I'm also using a Rubato copper mat. Good luck, you have some fun choices.
mardan

Postby evilw » 21 Mar 2012 05:39

mardan wrote:I can testify for the CB-77. It's fairly easy to restore, built like a tank, easy to use and with the right plinth and set up, killer sound. I believe it to be a very under rated idler drive table. One of it's unique features is the inboard drive hub on the platter. This allows the idler wheel to turn much slower than most other tables. The massive Ashland motor turns at just 600 rpm. I'm using the Micro-Trak 303 arm but I've disabled the plug at the head shell and ran new Cardas wiring direct from my Zu-103 cartridge to the pre amp. I'm also using a Rubato copper mat. Good luck, you have some fun choices.

Oooh! I have admired the pictures of your set up online. Really pleasing to the eye and I am sure to the ear as well. The wiring looks OK on my 303. Do you think that I should consider rewiring it?
I do love the looks of the CB-77. It has been hard for me to separate the B12Hs, so I may be forced to sell them instead! lol

Thanks again!
-EW
evilw
contributor

United States of America

Postby mardan » 21 Mar 2012 18:19

Thanks for the compliment. After about 9 months of use I've concluded that the 303 arm is the weak link in this rig (maybe it's just the audiophile upgrade bug bitting again). I've ordered a Schick 12" arm to experiment with. My opinion, if the wiring looks good start with that. It's easy to change or modify later. I'm so impressed with this deck that I can justify throwing some more money at it. I also sold off my TT collection which consisted of 2 301 Garrards, 2 TD124 Thorens, 1 TD111 Thorens and bought 3 more CB-77's to play with. Good luck with your CB-77 I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
mardan

Postby evilw » 22 Mar 2012 01:38

mardan wrote: I also sold off my TT collection which consisted of 2 301 Garrards, 2 TD124 Thorens, 1 TD111 Thorens and bought 3 more CB-77's to play with. Good luck with your CB-77 I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Wow!
Do any of your CB-77s have pre-amps? My TT has the hole and a silhouette from where the plate was, but that is it.. I would like to mount that portion just for looks, but was thinking that the Pre-amp may be redundant with my old McIntosh preamp.
-EW

I found this photo of a knob/Plate on ebay
evilw
contributor

United States of America

Postby mardan » 22 Mar 2012 16:45

Yes, 1 of my tables has a Micro-Trak 6401 stereo pre amp mounted on the front right corner. The plate is larger than what you have pictured and it has a round knob. These pre-amps were not factory issue and in my opinion not so great. I'll be removing this one and filling the hole prior to powder coating.
mardan

Postby evilw » 23 Mar 2012 15:23

mardan wrote:These pre-amps were not factory issue and in my opinion not so great. I'll be removing this one and filling the hole prior to powder coating.

Ahh. Good to know. I thought it was a Gates option, so it would be much easier for me to fill the hole too.
Thanks,
-EW
evilw
contributor

United States of America

Postby decca4 » 17 May 2012 23:25

Hi,

I am actually on the outlook for a CB-77 and was offered a Gates CB-1200. This one has a standard rim drive and not the interesting centre drive of the CB-77. Does any of you have any info as how good the CB-1200 is compared to the CB-77? Does any of you know where to find a CB-77?

I am great full for any info.

Stefan
decca4

Postby Boukman » 18 May 2012 08:00

Judging from the gorgeous arms, the rok's must be in great shape. Really difficult choice! Probably sell the rok's as a bundle and keep the gates.....
Boukman

Great Britain

Postby KentT » 18 May 2012 19:52

The CB 1200 itself is a later model turntable and excellent in it's own right.
KentT
long player
long player

Postby decca4 » 30 May 2012 23:21

KentT wrote:The CB 1200 itself is a later model turntable and excellent in it's own right.

Thanks KentT! I have just received my 1200 and it is a restoration project but as such in good shape. The platter bearing is impressive and very quit. The idler wheel less so. The bushing is somewhat worn. I am considering using either teflon or delrine instead of the original which is brass I believe. Any views on this? The motor is one from Motronic and rather quit until you put a sideways load on it. Previously they used an Ashland motor. Does anyone know which is the better of those? The idler wheel is restorable but not great. Anyone know where to find a new one?

With the TT came a Gray wooden tone arm, 303 probably. The bearings seem to be very good. Any suggestions for fitting cartridges? My impression is that it is rather heavy and that a low compliance cartridge would be fitting.
decca4

Postby evilw » 07 Jun 2012 13:39

evilw
contributor

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms