the home of the turntable

Reel to reel tape to record your lp's

the mix tape forum

Reel to reel tape to record your lp's

Postby rbwinterlink » 02 Feb 2012 02:07

Is anyone using a reel to reel tape recorder to move music from records to tape? Thanks for your comments.

bob
rbwinterlink

Re: Reel to reel tape to record your lp's

Postby hjfischer » 02 Feb 2012 04:57

Not currently but have done so extensively in the past, using a Sony Rto R tape deck. I require a preamp to record the LP's. My last project was to record the New Year's concert from Vienna (on PBS)from the Dish Network onto tape and then into my computer via Audacity. If you've got any specific recording questions please ask.
hjfischer

Postby josephazannieri » 02 Feb 2012 06:08

Yo rbwinterlink:

The big disadvantage in recording records to tape is that there is an increase in noise caused by the tape recording. Typically your signal to noise ratio declines by 3dB. There are some ways around this issue, such as using a Dolby processor for the reel to rell tape, or using 15 IPS to make the recording.

From 1967 to 2001 I did show recordings for dancers, going from LP's and CD's, using a 15 IPS tape recorder. I got good results, and I was able to edit the music to suit the needs of the producers and choreographers. 15 IPS made cutting relatively easy, and I never had a splice fail in operation. In 2002 I converted to digital. The learning curve was ferocious, since everything was new to me, and much different from analog, But now I am converted. Digital recording is more flexible, I can make multiple copies of the material, and digital editing is way more flexible and creative becasue I have many more functions available to me. Also, there is no increase in noise in digital recording.

I still have my tape machines and my tape archives, but reel to reel has been pretty much supplanted by the computer. There are some issues with digital, and digital is not as good sounding as analog in many ways, but for recording and storage of most musical material, digital is very effective, and takes up WAY less space, which is important if you live in a one bedroom apartment, and you maintain archives of your previous work.

An good luck from that cramped and heretical old guy,

Joe Z.
josephazannieri
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby rbwinterlink » 03 Feb 2012 00:07

Good evening Mr. Joe Z.

Thank you for this response. I have a good selection of records, both jazz and classical. In my humble opinion digital does not compare with analog, but that's just my take on it. I have a rather good audio system that also includes a belt drive CD transport and tube DAC that approaches analog. My rell to reel is a Tascam with 15ips speed and I love it. Actually, I just wondered if there are others who try to preserve their golden LP's by putting the music on tape. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment sir.

bob
rbwinterlink

Postby fscl » 10 Feb 2012 18:55

My rell to reel is a Tascam with 15ips speed and I love it. Actually, I just wondered if there are others who try to preserve their golden LP's by putting the music on tape.

:shock: :shock: WOW that's a lot of tape$. At 15ips, is that 1LP / 10" R2R tape.... :shock: :?:

Picked up a couple of R2R at garage / moving sales which I've got to refirb and eventually convince my friend w/ some bootleg 1/4" tapes to borrow / play / listen and eventually archive.

In the meantime, just have one 7" blank reel of Sony tape to fool with and a brittle, shedding pre-recorded "Dave Brubeck Tonight Only With Carmen McRae" to listen to.

RB, Just out of curiosity were are you sourcing R2R tapes..... :-k

TIA

Fred and am involved with too many formats..... :shock: :shock: :shock: #-o
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....WFUV Fan.
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby josephazannieri » 11 Feb 2012 03:48

Yo rbwinterlink and Fred:

It's the storage space that's issue for those 15IPS tapes. I used 3600 foot reels, which are 10 1/2 inches. My 15 IPS is a TEAC 3300. I have maybe 50 of those reels, and maybe 120 7 inch 7.5 IPS reels. A 3600 foot reel of 1 mil tape is good for about 45-50 minutes at 15 IPS, so you can typically get 2 sides of an LP on a 10 1/2 inch reel. A boxed 10 1/2 inch reel takes the space of about 3 LP's.

For me, back in the day, the big advantage to the 15 IPS speed was that it gave great flexibility in editing. You could cut the pops and the clicks right out of the records with a razor blade. You could also edit program material, either musical material, or sound effects, or spoken word. I produced a tape of a speech, a closing argument from a trial, long time ago for a company that sold them. I was required to edit the material to smooth out the subject's delivery and get rid of the stray sounds and coughs. It's quite easy at 15 IPS. At 15 IPS, a typical pop is about 1/4 inch long. There is an issue if you have a big bunch of pops or clicks. It's that the record actually gets a little shorter once you cut them all out. That was one of the issues with transferring 78's to tape and thence to LP.

For me, the editing flexibility on 1/4 inch tape is overcome by the ability to use click remover software, and the additional flexibility of the editing software that is available for digital editing. Also, the storage space involved is much less for digital files, even if you are using WAV files. As an apartment dweller, the storage space is important to me.

There is nothing cooler than watching those 10 1/2 inch reels going around. It realy is impressive, and when you rewind, make sure the reel locks are tight...

And good luck from that cramped old guy, who wishes he had the space for a couple of hundred 10 1/2 inch reels,

Joe Z.
josephazannieri
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby rbwinterlink » 11 Feb 2012 13:20

Good morning all,

It snowed here in Baltimore last night but I still have to go out and take care of business. I am very thankful it snowed very little. I have a number of classical and fair number of jazz reel to reel tapes I purchased off of Ebay. Most cost me between $12 and #15 dollars each. All are original commercially produced tapes. I refuse to purchase bootleg or any non-original tapes. So far I've only had a few that was in such bad shape I decided to toss them in the trash. Most of my tapes sound better than records of the same music. I have some Miles Davis, Pink Floyd that have only been played once. I want to put that music on tape then clean and stash the records. That's my aim now. Thanks for all comments.

bob
rbwinterlink

Postby 78 archivist » 11 Feb 2012 13:50

I sympathize with the space issue. I just got done cleaning a batch of 78rpm albums, which have anywhere from three to five discs per set. Because the original binders they come in average around 70 years old, the mold feel and smell is intolerable without a 'quarantine' process. So I put a 12" polyethylene sleeve around the original binder which can be an inch thick and tape up the extra fold on the back. I then put the cleaned discs into a brand new binder, from Bags Unlimited (which as far as I know is the only producer of new ones) which are about 3/4" thick. So one album takes up close to 2" of shelf space.

I've been considering getting a R2R to transfer my 78s on, and ironically the reels would take up less space than my 78s. I probably wouldn't be considering parting with my vinyl collection if space weren't an issue. I think distilling a collection down to its essence is the most important part, once that's done then I believe space for all analog is possible. Let's face it, digital can sound pretty and 'cute', but it'll never have cojones. Having un-neutered reproduction is a true blessing to behold when most everything has been neutered.
78 archivist

United States of America

Postby rbwinterlink » 11 Feb 2012 16:57

Good morning Archivist,

You appear to have a potentially larger storage problem than do I. At 70 plus years old I am very familiar with the massive amount of 78's that was involved in a Mozart or Bach requium. Many of the old 78's were mono and so you would be hard pressed, though some are available, to find a mono cartridge. As you say, the mold and other problems with those older recordings are something to have to deal with. My heart goes out to you sir.

bob
rbwinterlink

Postby 78 archivist » 11 Feb 2012 18:09

Hi Bob,

I use a stereo cart to play 78s, temporarily a Grado 78E, and a Stanton 500 once my new (old) turntable is restored. As a child I grew up listening to classical as that's what my father listened to but I primarily collect race records. I find the mold significantly greater with shellac than unkept vinyl. Luckily the VPI 17 works well, although the labels and even the rim of the record, which can be much thicker than vinyl, need cleaned separately. I created a filing system for the rarer 78s that involve a total of two polyethylene sleeves, two cardboard sleeves, and one filler pad for every individual record. Each cushioned disc takes almost 1/2" of shelf space. For the less rare 78s I decided to put two in each, but still a space hog. I must say finding a record becomes much easier though, and breakage is no longer a concern. There is nothing worse than seeing a rare 85 year old record cracked from other people's poor storage methods.

I have less than 3,000 records but this is too many imo. I used to have 8,000 so I've made progress but my goal is 1,500. It would be nice, if one day, I could access my entire collection on 1/4" 15ips tape. This should be doable with two 5X5 expedit-size (I use real wood shelving) shelves which I can make space for and live with. Quality over quantity. Age really helps with this.

78 Arch
78 archivist

United States of America

Return to Vinyl Ripping