the home of the turntable

Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

music box

Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby man_traic » 26 Jan 2012 23:32

I have rescued a TD-180 that was not working

(I say rescued, a bit of basic faultfinding and it was the internal fuse and AC adaptor that had blown - wahey!! Off to rebuy both tomorrow

Question:

the rear of the deck states:
umin = 16 vac imax = 150 ma 50/60hz

the rear of the power supply states:
type: netzteil ng 3.6 output: 5v = 300ma (and is needless to say 240v /50hz input)

is this a mismatched psu? should i get a different one when i re-buy?

thanks james (im in england btw)
man_traic
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jan 2012 23:24

Great Britain

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby JaS » 27 Jan 2012 12:47

Hi,
Yes, it should have a 16V AC power supply.

Regards,
JaS
User avatar
JaS
engine room
engine room
 
Posts: 9981
Images: 190
Joined: 12 Feb 2002 17:32
Location: Dark Peak

Great Britain

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby man_traic » 27 Jan 2012 13:27

cool, thats what i thought

looks like the bad psu was what blew the fuse, hey?
man_traic
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jan 2012 23:24

Great Britain

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby man_traic » 27 Jan 2012 13:39

Exactly what power supply should I get?

I presume an 230VAC 50/60hz in ---> 16VAC 150ma 50/60hz out
The only thing is this appears to be AC voltage

Can you get AC/AC power supplies?
man_traic
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jan 2012 23:24

Great Britain

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby JaS » 27 Jan 2012 13:46

Can you get AC/AC power supplies?

Yes, you need a 16V AC power supply with a minimum 150mA output. A Pro-ject power supply should do it, otherwise Maplin may have something suitable?

Regards,
JaS
User avatar
JaS
engine room
engine room
 
Posts: 9981
Images: 190
Joined: 12 Feb 2002 17:32
Location: Dark Peak

Great Britain

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby Blue Angel » 27 Jan 2012 17:28

JaS wrote:
Can you get AC/AC power supplies?

Yes, you need a 16V AC power supply with a minimum 150mA output. A Pro-ject power supply should do it, otherwise Maplin may have something suitable?

Regards,
JaS


Hi

I've had to attend to two of these turntables recently. The first had its p/s awol and I found something suitable among the stuff I had in stock. For the 2nd deck, I bought a p/s from the local equivalent for Maplins - Yebo Electronics. It comes with a multi plugin connector and I think the polarity was just right for the job.

ba
"If you don't like my principles, I have others" - Groucho Marx
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor
 
Posts: 5834
Images: 241
Joined: 15 Aug 2005 20:15
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby kelvinMunson » 27 Jan 2012 18:04

Since it's an AC power supply thats's required there is no polarity to worry about :-)
Thorens TD521, SME3012, Dynavector DV-20X,Thorens TD150, SME3009, Shure V15III
Pro-Ject Phonobox SE, Creek OBH 18,
Cambridge Audio A5, Cambridge Audio P500,
Castle Chester,
Creek OBH 21SE, AKG K701...
User avatar
kelvinMunson
long player
long player
 
Posts: 2626
Images: 168
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 12:26
Location: Buckinghamshire

Great Britain

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby man_traic » 27 Jan 2012 19:59

OK

I can get a 15V AC 150ma+ AC/AC transformer quite easily, will that be a problem?
man_traic
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jan 2012 23:24

Great Britain

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby lini » 31 Jan 2012 00:55

Most probably not, I'd guess. But if you'd like to make sure, you'd need to open the bottom of the Thorens and have a look inside at the power regulator chip (most probably an 7812, I'd assume) for its type designation and then check the data sheet for the minimum required input voltage (which will be a tad higher - iirc, it should be ~ 14.5 V for a regular 7812...), as that would be the voltage the wall-wart would have to deliver under actual load to allow for the regulator to properly work (shall mean: If you just measure the output of the wall-wart directly with a digital multimeter, you'd rather measure the higher idle voltage, as the input resistance of the dmm alone will be pretty high and hence too "small" a load to draw sufficient current...). To find the regulator chip, look for a three-legged, transistor-like part, which will typically be fixed to a heatsink (or possibly to some metal part of the drive that can serve as a heatsink just as well - afair Thorens actually did it that way on the TD180...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
long player
long player
 
Posts: 4515
Joined: 22 Sep 2007 05:17
Location: Munich/Bavaria

Germany

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby man_traic » 05 Feb 2012 02:18

ah ok - so a 15v one definitely would not do? easier to get you see :)
man_traic
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jan 2012 23:24

Great Britain

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby Alec124c41 » 05 Feb 2012 03:09

Would a 15 VAC 500 mA supply be good?

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
User avatar
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
 
Posts: 15644
Images: 56
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 04:24
Location: Toronto, Canada

Canada

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby lini » 06 Feb 2012 03:47

man_traic wrote:ah ok - so a 15v one definitely would not do? easier to get you see :)


I think you misunderstood me - your question was: "I can get a 15V AC 150ma+ AC/AC transformer quite easily, will that be a problem?" My direct reply to that was "Most probably not, I'd guess.", with the rest being a technical explanation to give you some more backgound knowledge. But basically it was supposed to mean: Unless the model you go for is "mal-specified" and drops below 15 V under actual load, a 15 V unit should still be ok to let the table-internal voltage regulation work properly.

Alec: I'd give that around a 99.99 % chance, 'cause a 500 mA unit definitely shouldn't drop below the required voltage, as a TD180 needs quite a bit less current. The remaining 0.01 % may be interpreted as "but one never knows"-disclaimer. ;)

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
long player
long player
 
Posts: 4515
Joined: 22 Sep 2007 05:17
Location: Munich/Bavaria

Germany

Re: Power Supply question - Thorens TD-180

Postby bogle111 » 11 Feb 2012 13:24

Hi,

Did you get a PSU for your TD-180? Can't be 100% certain as this one is from I believe a TD520, though to memory, they were all similar.

(Labelled) THORENS
AC/AC Adaptor Type A7-2131-4601
Input: 240volts a.c./50Hz T40/E
Output: 16volts a.c./160mA 2.6VA
Made in Germany BARTEC
(Number stamped into housing base) 0589

Believed the 180 & 280 plus others shared the same adaptors. When the new owners took over Thorens, I believe they changed the part numbers.

Regards
User avatar
bogle111
senior member
senior member
contributor
 
Posts: 412
Images: 1
Joined: 19 Jun 2010 15:10
Location: Dolgellau, W. Wales

Return to Thorens