the home of the turntable

jvc ql7 parts

snap, crackle and pop

jvc ql7 parts

Postby rhoxer » 17 Jan 2012 03:13

Hey, I would like to restore my JVC QL7 turntable. The headshell is missing, and so are a couple of the feet, so I need to probably replace all four (the rubber is failing around the springs) Can anyone tell me which headshell will fit and what cartridge/stylus I need?

Thanks
Rick
rhoxer

United States of America

Re: jvc ql7 parts

Postby satanfriendly » 17 Jan 2012 04:34

Hi there and welcome to this place.

I have a very similar JVC turntable in the QL-70. Not that different to your own, presuming it is the same as in the library here. If so the headshells are pretty common having an SME bayonet type fitting. As an example:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Gemini-HD-1 ... tegory=432

A bit on the expensive side of the story, but you can find similar a lot cheaper on the likes of E-Bay. In the UK as cheap as $10. Pay a bit more though and get better quality. Depends how much you want to budget and how much do you want out of this deck. I have often seen genuine JVC headshells on the Bay.

Cartridge, again budget matters, but at the cheaper end of the scale I’ve always thought the Audio Technica AT 95 to be great value and a good all rounder. Again gets you started without breaking the bank. I am sure other good alternatives may get mentioned here:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Techn ... tegory=402

As for the feet, that's a different kettle of fish. I have the same issue with one of mine. I haven't looked at repairing it yet (don't think it will be too difficult), but a replacement will be rare if you want a match or expensive if you are to look at alternatives. I think you may find they are a 6mm thread.

Alternatively you could do away with them altogether and look at mounting the deck on the likes of these Bright Star Isonodes. I think are the same as the UK offers, but simply sit the deck on them. Very effective.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Bright-Star ... ategory=88

I guess the total picture depends on how much you want to spend and how original do you want it to remain?

A starter for ten here and see what others might offer with their knowledge. Plenty of that on here.
................................................................................2972.58734590245 = 28
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby dlaloum » 17 Jan 2012 08:23

The feet on the JVC's use the standard 6mm thread - same as some of the Technics feet.

on my QL-Y5F I found performance improved when I replaced the standard feet with ISO9H dampers - 4 of them - 3 in a triangle (2 across front, one centre back) - and the last one in the centre - damping the baseboard.

With regards to headshells...

The standard JVC item is a relatively heavy 11g - which makes sense as the JVC cartridge of the time (Z1, X1) were mid compliance cartridge which would have best mated with a mid mass arm.

Depending on what cartridge you are planning to use, you can opt to lighten the arm by using a lighter headshell, or increase its mass using a heaveir headshell!

The standard Technics SL1200mkII headshell is readily available and weighs around 7.5g (my examples are 7.3g - but the Technics doco says 7.5g)

You can go lighter with high quality headshells - I have an Audio Technica MG6 which weighs 6.5g, an ugly silver garrard thing that weighs 5.7g and sound great, some ADC magnesium headshells weighing in at 6g.

At the other end of the spectrum the Audio Technica AT-LH18 weighs 18g (!!).

All of which is to say that choosing your headshell is another aspect of tuning your turntable for best results with your chosen cartridge!.

After months of searching I did find the correct OEM headshell for my JVC turntable, but have never used it (so far) as it is too heavy for my chosen high compliance cartridges. (but now my setup is complete...)

bye for now

David
dlaloum
long player
long player
contributor

Postby kcc123 » 17 Jan 2012 23:16

Hi David,

I like to point out to you that the compliance of both the JVC Z1 and X1 are on the high side as I have two Z1 and one X1 cartridges. The compliance of the Z1 is 27cu and the X1 is 22cu.

It happens that I also have the JVC QL-7 and QL A-7 turntables. The effective mass of the JVC QL-7’s UA5045 tonearm is about 14grams and the stock headshell weighs 10.5 grams.
kcc123

Postby kcc123 » 17 Jan 2012 23:26

Regarding the feet, I have changed of one of my JVC turntables with 4 Isonoe Feet, they are quite expensive though.

kcc123

Postby dlaloum » 18 Jan 2012 00:12

kcc123 wrote:Hi David,

I like to point out to you that the compliance of both the JVC Z1 and X1 are on the high side as I have two Z1 and one X1 cartridges. The compliance of the Z1 is 27cu and the X1 is 22cu.

It happens that I also have the JVC QL-7 and QL A-7 turntables. The effective mass of the JVC QL-7’s UA5045 tonearm is about 14grams and the stock headshell weighs 10.5 grams.

Thanks for the correction - I just got a JVC MD1016/4MD-10x - which is much lower compliance, and somewhere along the line I crossed my wires!
dlaloum
long player
long player
contributor

Postby satanfriendly » 18 Jan 2012 00:20

I have changed of one of my JVC turntables with 4 Isonoe Feet

Do they work and are they any good?

These are one of the options I am presently looking at for mine own, but you are right, they are expensive.
................................................................................2972.58734590245 = 28
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby kcc123 » 18 Jan 2012 01:02

I think they do work and I am very satisfied with the results, especially the improvement in clarity, focus and bass extension. They are so good that I have also replaced the feet on my Technics SL150 turntable with Isonoe Feet as well.

I also have the QL-70 as you do, but I have taken out the TT-71 motor unit and placed it on a custom base where three tonearms are installed.
kcc123

Postby satanfriendly » 18 Jan 2012 01:40

And what a beautiful piece of art. It is actually your deck here which gave me some impotus to buy my own QL-70 and one of the resaons I am presently chasing a couple of arms. I have my plan, but a different approach.

Good to hear positive words for the isonoe feet and something I may give a bit more serious thought to.
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby kcc123 » 18 Jan 2012 02:06

Thank you veru much for your nice comments!
kcc123

Postby Van_Isle » 22 Jan 2012 09:32

I have a QL-A7 and feet seem to be still in good order, so I can't help you directly in that regard. I suppose, with the rubber in your feet shot, that your tonearm counterweight is drooping significantly?

The stock JVC headshell looks very much like some of the Kenwood and Marantz headshells of the same era (square, silver). So if you wish to keep things looking fairly 'stock' you have options there as well - if you have an audio store available locally or electronics repair - ask them - I've picked up a couple headshells (one Technics and one close enough to the Harman Kardon T-series to be of use) ... free, by doing so. Otherwise, you could expand your search on eBay (shipping of those would be cheap) or post a wanted add online (craigslist, etc.).
Van_Isle
contributor

Canada

Postby rhoxer » 22 Jan 2012 15:57

Thank you for the replies. It's been fun getting this project going.

I bought a replacement generic headshell on Ebay for around $5, and a replacement Shure stylus and got out some old vinyl and it was wonderful-until I noticed that the speed was not locking. Apparently this is a common problem, and after taking it apart it indeed looks like some of the caps are leaking. I think that will be my next project, replacing those caps and/or cleaning the pot? Any advice here would sure be appreciated. I've read replacing C818-c820 is a good place to start.

Thanks for the replies and help!
Rick
rhoxer

United States of America

Postby Van_Isle » 22 Jan 2012 19:42

I haven't had mine all that long and the speed is fine on it so sorry I can't help you there (yet!).
Van_Isle
contributor

Canada

Postby rhoxer » 22 Jan 2012 20:38

satanfriendly wrote:Hi there and welcome to this place.

I have a very similar JVC turntable in the QL-70. Not that different to your own, presuming it is the same as in the library here. If so the headshells are pretty common having an SME bayonet type fitting. As an example:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Gemini-HD-1 ... tegory=432

A bit on the expensive side of the story, but you can find similar a lot cheaper on the likes of E-Bay. In the UK as cheap as $10. Pay a bit more though and get better quality. Depends how much you want to budget and how much do you want out of this deck. I have often seen genuine JVC headshells on the Bay.

Cartridge, again budget matters, but at the cheaper end of the scale I’ve always thought the Audio Technica AT 95 to be great value and a good all rounder. Again gets you started without breaking the bank. I am sure other good alternatives may get mentioned here:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Techn ... tegory=402

As for the feet, that's a different kettle of fish. I have the same issue with one of mine. I haven't looked at repairing it yet (don't think it will be too difficult), but a replacement will be rare if you want a match or expensive if you are to look at alternatives. I think you may find they are a 6mm thread.

Alternatively you could do away with them altogether and look at mounting the deck on the likes of these Bright Star Isonodes. I think are the same as the UK offers, but simply sit the deck on them. Very effective.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Bright-Star ... ategory=88

I guess the total picture depends on how much you want to spend and how original do you want it to remain?

A starter for ten here and see what others might offer with their knowledge. Plenty of that on here.

Thank you for the welcoming reply and the links, they were very helpful. I'm still learning how to navigate this site, and I posted a request for help re-capping my turntable. I don't know if you have done this, but from what I'm seeing these old units need a bit of updating. I'm listening to some of my old vinyl, and while it's like seeing an old friend after a long break, everything sounds warped.

It's a work in progress, and I have made some.

Best regards,
Rick
rhoxer

United States of America

Postby kcc123 » 22 Jan 2012 21:10

Drooping counterweight is a very common problem with the stock JVC UA5045 tonearm; it does not really affect its overall performance.

QL-A7 with Technics 205C mk3 cartridge on it

QL-A7 with Isonoe Feet

I had a speed issue with my JVC QL-7 over a year ago, so I have renewed all the caps on the circuit board and it’s been running OK since. My other JVC turntables are more or less of the same age, so I also got the caps replaced as a precaution, just in case.

The circuit board of the QL-A7(same as the QL-7) with the original caps
kcc123

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms