the home of the turntable

How to fix BIC turntable tonearm misdrop

snap, crackle and pop

How to fix BIC turntable tonearm misdrop

Postby Hberg32 » 03 Jan 2012 02:09

Hi - are comments on Library entries disabled? I came here looking for info on my father's BIC 940 and have a solution to a problem that more than one person posted about but I don't see a reply or add comment button to post it. At any rate, I'll put it here in case it helps.

If a BIC 940/960/980 is setting the tonearm down at the wrong place there are two ways to adjust it. If it's off by a little bit, look for a hole in the deck just below the tonearm attachment and use a long flathead screwdriver to tweak the adjustment there. If it's dropping in the wrong ballpark entirely then the size selector cams are sticky and need a shot of wd-40. There is a pickup lever underneath the deck that moves with the tonearm and the size selector cams are two levers that are mounted perpendicular to the pickup lever (I took a picture but look like I can't post it here, sorry). The size selector cams both have springs attached to the deck and pivot on a single pole. When you hit the 'cycle' button the appropriate cam (33 or 45) should swing out to stop the tonearm at the right place but if the luge is sticky only the 45 will move. Wiggle the cams to free up the lube or hit them with a little WD-40 and you are back in business. I've done this on both a 940 and a 960 with perfect success (for now anyway, we'll see if they gum up again later).

Hope this helps,
Henry
Hberg32

Re: How to fix BIC turntable tonearm misdrop

Postby Doug G. » 03 Jan 2012 21:53

Hi Henry,

Good sloothing =D> but you will probably have to go in and clean the parts thoroughly and relube later for a permanent fix.

As you suspect, the WD-40 will probably eventually evaporate and the original lube resolidify and stick the followers to the shaft and to each other again.

But hey, it won't hurt a thing to just let it work as long as it will and worry about re-repair later.

BTW, the one cam follower determines where the tonearm sets down for 12" or 7" records and the other one holds the tonearm at the rest after the last record is played and the table shuts off.

And welcome to VE!

Doug
Doug G.

United States of America

Postby gabrielmartin » 10 Jan 2013 21:07

Hi

New to this board. Does anyone have a picture of these size selector cams? I am having the tone arm drop position problem where it drops on the third song of a 12" record. The bottom of my BIC 940 has a clear cover so I can watch the parts move, but after watching dozens of times I can't for the life of me figure out which part is supposed to stop the tone arm sooner. I'd like to at least know which part I am attacking before I can decide whether or not to open this thing up myself :)
gabrielmartin

United States of America

Postby Doug G. » 10 Jan 2013 22:48

Hi Gabriel, welcome

I don't have a picture but look at where the piece is below that follows the groove in the big red cam. There is a pin on it that follows the groove and the other end raises and lowers the arm and moves it in and out. It's a see saw type of affair.

Now, look at the post on which this piece is mounted. There is a fair-sized c-clip on the end of the post, a white nylon wedge shaped piece and a spring. Farther down on the same post are mounted the two cam followers. They are plain metal-colored long, thin pieces which pivot with the rotation of the big red cam. There are pins molded into the cam and those move the followers.

There is a spring attached to the very end of each of those followers and the other ends of the springs are attached to the base plate (chassis, plinth).

Ask more questions, if you need to, after you identify the followers (levers).

Doug
Doug G.

United States of America

Postby gabrielmartin » 11 Jan 2013 03:44

Thank you, Doug. Using this info I've made a 4 part tutorial on cleaning this part of the turntable up. Thank you for your assistance!

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5QMk4BjgK0

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkz06iWHEs

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMHdKNhTExs

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIRyg7g18RE
gabrielmartin

United States of America

Postby hotcorner » 13 Jan 2014 19:08