the home of the turntable

Anders Nicholson 2655

snap, crackle and pop

Anders Nicholson 2655

Postby mikeymike18 » 04 Dec 2011 00:18

Hi---I am brand new to this forum and hoping for some helpful advice. My current receiver has an input for PHONO on it with the grounding wire and the turntable I've had for several years (which still works fine) has the grounding wire and has been hooked up to that receiver and working well for years.

But I saw this Anders Nicholson turntable online and thought it would be great to be able to record my vinyl and cassettes to CD. It came in the mail today however it does not come with the grounding wire. So when I tried to attach it to PHONO with no grounding wire---it was unplayable---just loud static. The instructions say to hook it up to AUX on your receiver but my receiver does not have an AUX on it at all.

The only place I had anything open was for TV so I gave it a try. It works. I can play records but I feel like the sound is a bit off. First, if I turn it up too far, it gets a loud hum. I have different settings I can use on my receiver so I tried changing it from Stereo to Surround Sound. When I did that, it eliminated the hum, but I think the actual sound quality was better on Stereo.

I'm wondering if I should think about getting a new receiver that has AUX on it. Do you think that would help the sound and hum issues ? Maybe it's just not meant to play a turntable on a TV setting. Or, is there anything I can do to hook it into PHONO and make it playable ? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance !
mikeymike18

Re: Anders Nicholson 2655

Postby Alec124c41 » 04 Dec 2011 07:50

The AN is a cheapie turntable. I don't know if it uses a moving magnet + pre-amp, or a ceramic cartridge, although I suspect the latter. This would not be suitable for a MM phono input.
Your old player, not specified, might be far superior.
Your receiver is not specified, either.
If your receiver has Tape Out connectors, all you need to digitize is a 2-RCA to 1/8 stereo cable.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby mikeymike18 » 04 Dec 2011 08:08

Thanks ! The receiver is a Technics and the original turntable is a Kenwood. The only problem with it is that it needs to really warm up or sometimes the speed gets all warbly.

So if the AR is a cheapie, does that mean that if I were to get a new receiver with AUX on it, it might not improve the sound or the hum at higher volumes ? I thought maybe that had to do with me having it hooked up to the TV input on the back of the receiver.
mikeymike18

Postby Alec124c41 » 04 Dec 2011 08:21

Take the Kenwood to a table. Assuming that it is a belt drive, remove the platter, and the spindle too, if you can. Clean the well and the spindle with a Q-Tip and some alcohol, and put a few drops of fresh oil in. 3-in-1 electric motor oil is OK, easily available. Also slide a drop or 2 into the bearing of the motor, where the shaft enters, under the pulley.
You may need a new belt. Clean the belt, and the belt path, with alcohol.
If there are any speed adjustments on it, a bit of contact cleaner to their innards will help, too.
I'd take the other one back, if possible.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby nat » 05 Dec 2011 19:37

If your current reciever doesn't have an aux input, you can use any other input than the phono. All the other inputs are all the same, but with names for convenience. And you can use the tape in, also if you only have a tape monitor.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby Coffee Phil » 05 Dec 2011 21:50

Hi Mike,

I think that Alec and Nat have given you good replies but I want to propose a test which will enable you to see if the new cheapie turntable will ever give you results which you will accept.

I notice that the new turntable will burn CDs stand alone. First get the Kenwood working properly. Then burn a CD on the new player from one of your good vinyl records. Then AB the CD with the vinyl record using your Kenwood player (either repaired or warmed up to where it works proberly). Don't expect better results than what you get with the CD which you burn.

Phil
Coffee Phil
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby mikeymike18 » 11 Dec 2011 01:54

Thanks very much to you all for all the great info ! Much appreciated ! I will have to try that out.
mikeymike18

Return to Turntables and Tonearms

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising