the home of the turntable

Garrard Synchro Lab 95 help

snap, crackle and pop

Garrard Synchro Lab 95 help

Postby Bran Kulez » 21 Nov 2011 04:43

I recently picked up a Garrard SL 95 in very good cosmetic shape.

Everything seems to function properly, although a little stiff. It was also very noisy, I could almost hear it spinning from across the room. I took care of most of the noise by removing the idler wheel and cleaning it with hot water, dish soap and a green scotch pad. I then cleaned the inner rim of the platter with rubbing alcohol and then cleaned the idler again but this time with a tape deck capstan/pinch roller cleaner. I now have to put my ear within inches of the turntable to hear it running. Big improvement!

When listening to music with headphones, during quiet passages of music or between tracks, I can still hear the turntable running.

Any suggestions to improve the turntable sonically would be appreciated.
Bran Kulez

Re: Garrard Synchro Lab 95 help

Postby aardvarkash10 » 24 Nov 2011 02:24

lubrication.

Plenty of assistance already given in threads in the Garrard section - take a look...
aardvarkash10
long player
long player

New Zealand

Postby Bran Kulez » 27 Nov 2011 18:29

Thanks. Nothing there specific to my turntable. I was hoping to get some advise from someone who has restored the 95.
Bran Kulez

Postby aardvarkash10 » 29 Nov 2011 09:48

go have another look - I have a thread on the subject and your SL95 is not significantly different from the majority of the SL series all the way to the Zero 100.

Accept that there IS going to be some idler rumble. Call it character enhancing. It should be well down toward he noise floor though - not a pervasive annoying in your face sort of thing
aardvarkash10
long player
long player

New Zealand

Postby Oracle_309 » 01 Dec 2011 00:49

A couple of things to consider:
  • regrease the main bearing or replace them. They are (if similar to the Lab60) 5 X's 1mm captive balls in a plastic retainer
  • consider disconnecting the tension spring and using a weight to provide the tension

The last point apparently works very well. I haven't tried the weight mod, but someone I know and trust did and stated that it made a huge improvement (on a NEAT idler turntable).You could also soak the idler wheel in GM weatherstrip "emulsion" (can't remember the part number). Let the idler sit in it for a few days, then wipe the edge off with 99% rubbing alcohol.
Oracle_309
contributor

Postby glrickaby » 02 Dec 2011 04:57

I have a Lab 95; while not rebuilt, took considerably cleaning and lubing etc.,
for all functions to work. It had a rumble which went away when I took off the
idler, chucked it in a drill and ran the drill while holding sand paper against
the wheel which pretty much rounded things out. Actually, the drill was a Dremel
tool which had some attachments, including a shaft with a screw on end to chuck
the idler. Unit is now very quiet or at least not heard anymore.
glrickaby

Postby Bran Kulez » 05 Dec 2011 01:54

Those are great suggestions. I'll start by photographing the mechanicals and then proceed with the cleaning process.

I never gave the tension spring much thought until now. The counterweight is a little annoying because there is no fine tune adjustment so I think removing the spring and adding a counterweight that threads on rather than just slides on would be a huge improvement.

Cleaning up the idler wheel seems straight forward.

The last thing would be to lube the moving parts. Any suggestions regarding the type of grease? A local electronics shop suggested white lithium.

Bran Kulez

Postby smee4 » 19 Jan 2012 00:40

bran kulez wrote:The last thing would be to lube the moving parts. Any suggestions regarding the type of grease? A local electronics shop suggested white lithium.

Just wanted to mention that there is one moving part you do not want to lubricate. It looks like that table is at least semi-automatic, so it probably has the little velocity trip mechanism to start the automatics at the end of the record when the arm moves to the centre in the lead-out grooves. This little trip lever needs to move VERY freely or else it'll cause the arm to mistrack towards the end of the record. Putting oil on it seems intuitive, BUT the oil will get sticky and collect dust and soon you'll have problems. Clean it, and the surface it slides on, very thoroughly and leave it at that.
smee4

Return to Turntables and Tonearms