the home of the turntable

Ortofon 2M black - wasted on me?

the thin end of the wedge

Ortofon 2M black - wasted on me?

Postby Runter vom Sofa » 20 Oct 2011 19:21

Hi all,

I post at this forum with my hat in my hands - my equipment is low-end and so is my ability to discern the finer and even finer nuances of record players and their components. However, I'd much appreciate advise on what cartridge to adorn my otherwise grey and worn system.

Let's start with the sad truth:
Denon PMA-520
Dali concept 1 (hopefully temporarily)
Denon DP-300F.

From the humble cartridge that came with the turntable I advanced to an Ortofon 2M red, which in my ears improved things significantly. My hifi dealer also made me try the Blue, and after some initial confusion (the sound of the Blue came through to me as disastrous; later I learned that cartridges need some hours on their back before they reveal their true selves) even my system could deliver the Blue's advantages over the Red.

With this experience in mind, I thought there was no reason to stop there. To keep my simple mind and ears focused I've decided to certainly stick with the Ortofon 2M series, since the Blue was such a winner - any improvement from that is a bonus. But who knows - that bonus might be huge.

I now play a brand new Bronze, patiently waiting for it to wake up. For now it sounds like there are a couple of tomatos in its mouth that it has to get rid of - but even now I mean to hear a higher level of detail than I got from the Blue, even smoother readings of the inner grooves and even less sibilance.

If the Bronze keeps the promise that it is about to give, my question will be: with Blue so much better than the Red and the Bronze better than the Blue - should I give the Black a try?

My question is if it would be to waste a fine cartridge on a dull system and on a less-than-savvy turntable owner. I don't intend to make this a very big part of my life - I do however enjoy playing my records now that I've found a decent low-low-low-end player.

Perhaps I get fooled to believe that the increasing price levels per model also increases the quality of the output? Not impossible - however I'd like to add that I am a full time professional musician and spend most of my day listening to and ceaselessly adjusting to the sounding environment around me (the ensemble I play in). Of course, this doesn't necessarily translate into vinyl listening expertise!

Phew.

Ortofon 2M black. A waste on me?

Thanks in advance.
Runter vom Sofa

Re: Ortofon 2M black - wasted on me?

Postby Keso77 » 20 Oct 2011 23:14

I have a feeling that you might get better sound out of a black, but...

Your turntable will not do it justice. You will not get the full potential out of the black.
In my personal oppinion you would benefit from putting that 2m black upgrade money on another turntable and keep the bronze. You would propably get more out of the bronze with another tt than the black on your Denon.

And pardon me for saying so, but I think you passed the "not making this a very big part of your life"-part when you started to burn oodlez of cash on cartridge upgrades. :wink:
Keso77

Sweden

Postby R-E-M » 21 Oct 2011 07:54

Agree with most of the above except to say you may be better blowing that cash on some nice new vinyl, for the cost of a Black you could get some fine new records which might persuade you your system isn't that dull after all.

Regards R.
R-E-M

Great Britain

Postby Keso77 » 21 Oct 2011 08:54

R-E-M wrote:Agree with most of the above except to say you may be better blowing that cash on some nice new vinyl, for the cost of a Black you could get some fine new records which might persuade you your system isn't that dull after all.

Regards R.

100% right, wish I had thought of that!
Keso77

Sweden

Postby Runter vom Sofa » 21 Oct 2011 09:22

Thanks for this, guys, this is the insight I was hoping for.

Keso77 wrote:I think you passed the "not making this a very big part of your life"-part when you started to burn oodlez of cash on cartridge upgrades.

Heh heh, good point!

R-E-M wrote:Agree with most of the above except to say you may be better blowing that cash on some nice new vinyl, for the cost of a Black you could get some fine new records which might persuade you your system isn't that dull after all.

Sounds sensible. For now I concentrate on a particular area of music, making my vinyl collection eye-rollingly narrow-minded (compared to the vastly more diverse CD library). Most of my vinyl is pressed in the last ten years or so. (It's a particular band that has, since they got going in 1981 and up to this day, pushed albums and 12-inches in vinyl format. … And Kraftwerk's remasters.)

I guess I'll stick with the Bronze and my Denon for now, and who knows, maybe I'll enjoy this so much that further upgrades in both tt and cartridge areas will follow suit. I'll just have to sell my fridge and stop using hot water to afford it.

Sure would be interesting to listen to the Black, though, to investigate whether the listening experience is noticeably upgraded - and whether the cost leap feels worth it. If it does, it might make sense to first get the Black, and then eat crispbread and goutweed until I've saved money for the next level turntable.

Speaking of which - any suggestions what turntable I should invest in if I want to upgrade? I like the childishly easy operation of the DP-300F, mind you …

Thanks so far, guys.
Runter vom Sofa

Postby jostber » 23 Oct 2011 14:54

I use the Bronze cartridge and think that sounds mighty fine. A new turntable is a good suggestion. A good tube amplifier and and a phono stage will also make the sound much better.

Some TT recommendations here:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_19157351
jostber

Return to Cartridges and Preamps