the home of the turntable

Cartridge for Dual 1209

twice the fun

Cartridge for Dual 1209

Postby Sheilajeanne » 17 Oct 2011 05:30

I picked up a 1209 turntable at the estate sale of a friend. I got the turntable, a 2-tape tape deck with AM/FM radio, and a 5 disc CD player and 2 speakers for $30. Not too shabby a deal. I've been told by the sellers that they checked everything out before the sale, and it all works. Unfortunately, someone got there before me, and the [censored!] ripped off the cartridge of the turntable! :-x

I am a total noob when it comes to cartridges and needles, and haven't a clue what to buy! I have downloaded the owner's manual from this site, but though it tells you how to replace the cartridge, it doesn't give any hints as to what type of needle the turntable originally had, though it does say it takes a 1/2" cartridge.

I know there's a range of quality and prices when it comes to needles, and being somewhat strapped for money right now, I can't afford to go too high-end.

Any advice/suggestions would be welcome!
Sheilajeanne

Canada

Re: Cartridge for Dual 1209

Postby Alec124c41 » 17 Oct 2011 05:41

This would be a start:
http://www.edsaunders.com/reded.htm

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby muradeli » 17 Oct 2011 13:39

Sheilajeanne wrote:Unfortunately, someone got there before me, and the [censored!] ripped off the cartridge of the turntable! :-x

Probably someone ripped off the cartridge along with a cartridge holder. If so, you will need both. Often they are sold on ebay together. Cartridges like Shure M91E or Audio Technica AT110E would be fine I think.
muradeli

Postby Sheilajeanne » 17 Oct 2011 14:07

muradeli wrote:Probably someone ripped off the cartridge along with a cartridge holder. If so, you will need both. Often they are sold on ebay together. Cartridges like Shure M91E or Audio Technica AT110E would be fine I think.

And here I thought the cartridge was what would just slide into the head of the tone arm, and everything would be just fine! Silly me! :roll:

I'm glad there are experts here to help this total noob out!

Alec, :shock: WOW! Yeah, a darn good place to start! I had no idea I could get a decent stylus and cartridge for anything under $50! Thank you! :D

My late friend was a pretty serious music lover. The house was full of CDs and LP albums. He also had this really neat little record cleaning device that fits into the tonearm. It's a little brush for cleaning the record grooves, plus a fuzzy roller for picking up lint. Never seen anything like it before!
Sheilajeanne

Canada

Postby Sheilajeanne » 17 Oct 2011 17:07

Yup, you were right. They took the cartridge holder, too! And the one website I've contacted so far doesn't have what I need in stock. I'm in Ontario, Canada. Can members suggest dealers that might have what I need in stock?

Right now, I could cheerfully do some pretty horrible things to whoever did this. This was an ESTATE sale, for heaven's sake! My friend's widow was totally overwhelmed by the number of people who showed up, and hundreds of dollars of stuff just walked out the door without being paid for! They even lost a complete home theatre speaker system, still in the original boxes! :-x
Sheilajeanne

Canada

Postby DSJR » 19 Oct 2011 20:37

Look on eBay for the headshell. They come up regularly and some have cartridges of various types fitted. The seller "William Thakker" definitely has them for $30 or so I think.

As for cartridges, if the "steurpimpel" is still moving the arm around on auto and the arm bearings aren't rattling badly, these arms can take most "MM" types of cartridge and surprisingly good ones as well. The deck is 40 years old now so will need some TLC to restore it to perfect order. "DualSpares" on eBay should be able to help and they also have a hybrid cartridge for around $20, which appears to be an M75-6S mounting-clip Shure body, with an after-market pattern M91ED stylus. I have one of these and it's very good, tracking quite well at 1.3g, which is perfect for the Dual I think.

Good luck..
DSJR

Great Britain

Postby Sheilajeanne » 20 Oct 2011 04:04

I have ordered the cartridge holder from William, and taken Alec's suggestion about the cartridge and stylus. The total cost is going to be about $50 Canadian.I've also plugged the machine in, and tested the controls. They seem to work okay, but need lubrication.

My biggest problem now is I've found I'm missing the most important part of the whole system: the stereo receiver! I don't know whether it got ripped off, or whether Wayne's wife didn't realize it had already been sold when she let me buy the system.

I am really ticked off!

Well, at least the speakers fit my current stereo, and sound much better than what I have. And I've tested the CD player and tape deck as best I can without the receiver, and everything seems to be in working order.

Sometimes the stereo receiver has the tape deck as part of it, so I guess that's why I didn't realize it was missing. :(
Sheilajeanne

Canada

Postby mrow2 » 25 Oct 2011 07:01

There are lots and lots of receiver choices on the open market. You can look for something pretty and vintage-like, or get a somewhat newer one (usually black) but if you do, just be sure it has a phono input which is ID'd by having a phono setting on the selector switch on front, or a button that says PHONO. Without that, it won't play the signal from the new cartridge. You can take your time looking, be sure to hear it work, and be aware that it may eventually require a little work to keep it going. If you don't need the radio, you can just get a compact integrated amplifier. You can find slightly less popular receiver brands that are silver-faced for $75 or so sometimes, at least in this market which tends to be a bit high. I just had a real nice Kenwood that went to a new owner for $90.
mrow2
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Sheilajeanne » 25 Oct 2011 13:55

Thanks for the input, mrow. I currently have a ProJect turntable hooked up to a Sony all-in-one stereo, but it needed a pre-amp in order for the signal to have enough volume. Unfortunately, the Dual TT is too wide to fit the shelves the Sony is on. But I was able to get the 5 disc CD player that came with the TT hooked up to my current receiver, as well as the Realistic speakers, which made me very happy, as the Sony CD player quit on me after my last move. :(

I am hearing lyrics and sounds on my CDs that I haven't been able to hear since I first started wearing hearing aids at age 13! WOW! What a difference! That alone is worth the $30 I paid for this package, incomplete as it is!

I got a notice in the mail yesterday saying something is waiting for me at the post office. I am guessing it's the new cartrdige for the Dual. Now, I just have to get the cartrdige holder (which is coming from Germany) and I can get things up and running. I am hoping that all the TT needs is a little lubrication, and I already saw a thread about that! (The mechanism does seem to work, but it's stiff, and if you look underneath, you can see old dried grease on some of the moving parts.)

The ProJect TT is absolutely 'bare bones'. There is no auto shutoff, and if you want to go to a 45 from a 33 1/3, you have to remove the TT and switch the drive belt to a different roller! I was pretty shocked when I got it home, and found out how basic it was. In my childhood, even the cheapest 'record player' would shut off automatically, and play 78s as well as 45s and LPs, with the flip of a knob!
Sheilajeanne

Canada

Postby thumpin » 26 Oct 2011 03:06

Even though the AT95E is cheap, it sounds fantastic on my 1209 and has a well regarded performance history...
thumpin

Postby Sheilajeanne » 19 Nov 2011 18:41

Well, I now have my stereo receiver, purchased on e-prey!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320794097764&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:CA:1123

I'm pretty happy about it. Kenwood is a well-known name here in Canada, and the seller lives about half an hour away from me, so I can avoid shipping charges! [Edited to add...the deciding factor on this particular receiver was the location of the seller, not the brand name. I had forgotten mrow2 mentioned that particualr brand until I reread his post just now! Cool beans!]

He tells me the original selling price of the receiver would have been around $600.00, with the complete system (turntable, receiver and cassette deck) going for $1,500. That's certainly way more than anything I or anyone else in my family would have been able to afford back in 1983, which is the receiver's date of manufacture! :)

He says it's in A1 condition, and as you can see from the photos, it does look pretty minty! :lol:

BTW, the seller is an electronics engineer who does this for a hobby (buys electronics cheap at yard sales, etc., then cleans them up and restores them). He is moving soon, and his wife has said most of his collection has to go. He does collect turntables as well as receivers, soooo, if you're in the market for something, you might want to give him a shout!

Now to put it all together! \:D/ I still need the proper lubricants for the turntable, but he's directed me to a source that's not too far away! :D
Sheilajeanne

Canada

Postby dualref » 27 Nov 2011 08:55

Well, at least the guy who ripped off the cartridge knew something about Dual turntables, he knew how to drop the cartridge holder. He could have just ripped the entire headshell off the tonearm leaving wires hanging out. I'm willing to bet it was someone who knew the deceased snd was into audio as well.
I like the cartridge you chose. You won't be dissatisfied with it. But it is important to mount it correctly into the cartridge carrier. Dual used to include these little plastic guides that you used to mount cartridges. Align the needle with the V and you are set. But I think most people have lost those over the years. You may want to get a cartridge protractor to install your cartridge so you get the settings just right for best performance. There is some cartridge geometry to worry about.
dualref
contributor

Return to Dual Forum

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising