the home of the turntable

10 Most Significant Tables Of All Time

snap, crackle and pop

10 Most Significant Tables Of All Time

Postby duficity » 10 Sep 2011 08:42

The Absolute Sound's latest issue, October 2011 has a piece on the most significant turntables of all time. Many will be glad to see their favorites mentioned, such as Technics sp10, garrard 301, Thorens TD-124/160 and AR XA. Also the usual Oracle Delphi, Linn Sondek, Sota Star Sapphire, Goldmund Studio, Well Tempered and Walker Black Diamond MkIII.

The criteria was to name the turntables that had the greatest impact on high end audio. Each of the writers chose 10 and the votes were tallied to get the final ten. Each writers list is also printed, and it is interesting to see certain tables are on every list. The only tables to make every list are the Linn and the AR-XA.

Any that you think should be added to the list. Except for the SL1200 of course. :roll:
duficity
long player
long player

United States of America

Re: 10 Most Significant Tables Of All Time

Postby cafe latte » 10 Sep 2011 09:03

duficity wrote:The Absolute Sound's latest issue, October 2011 has a piece on the most significant turntables of all time. Many will be glad to see their favorites mentioned, such as Technics sp10, garrard 301, Thorens TD-124/160 and AR XA. Also the usual Oracle Delphi, Linn Sondek, Sota Star Sapphire, Goldmund Studio, Well Tempered and Walker Black Diamond MkIII.

The criteria was to name the turntables that had the greatest impact on high end audio. Each of the writers chose 10 and the votes were tallied to get the final ten. Each writers list is also printed, and it is interesting to see certain tables are on every list. The only tables to make every list are the Linn and the AR-XA.

Any that you think should be added to the list. Except for the SL1200 of course. :roll:

Which is clearly too good to be on the list it would not be fair on the others :D
CL
Edit.. If we are talking the most significant TT of all time it IS the Technics sl1200 anyway for many reasons
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby Zebbo » 10 Sep 2011 09:13

The SL1200 should definitely be up there, not in pure hi-fi terms maybe but just it's massive impact on the whole TT market, (which is the only reason I can see for the Linn being there).
So all Pink Triangle's innovations stand for jack then? :roll:
Zebbo

Great Britain

Postby Dinohyus Hollandi » 10 Sep 2011 09:14

Rega Planar 3. Because the simple design and rock solid performance at its price point puts many others to shame and because many others somehow derived from or incorporated parts of this venerable piece.

The SL1200 also is a very influential beast, but is it "high end" enough for this list?
Dinohyus Hollandi

Postby Zebbo » 10 Sep 2011 09:20

I didn't read "significant" as meaning hi-end performance per-se, I took it as being innovative engineering. A bit like the humble Mini providing the engineering solutions still used on 1000's of cars today. :)
Zebbo

Great Britain

Postby cafe latte » 10 Sep 2011 09:29

Dinohyus Hollandi wrote:Rega Planar 3. Because the simple design and rock solid performance at its price point puts many others to shame and because many others somehow derived from or incorporated parts of this venerable piece.

The SL1200 also is a very influential beast, but is it "high end" enough for this list?

Have you owned one?
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby Dinohyus Hollandi » 10 Sep 2011 09:50

Zebbo wrote:I didn't read "significant" as meaning hi-end performance per-se, I took it as being innovative engineering.

In that case: SL1200 included. :roll:

cafe latte wrote:Have you owned one?

An SL200? No. A Planar 3? Since 1995. :wink:
Dinohyus Hollandi

Postby nopiano » 10 Sep 2011 10:40

Yes, I think a Rega should be in there somewhere, along with the Technics SL1200.

I'll admit too that the Walker was unfamiliar, though having just re-subscribed to TAS after a break of about 15 years it doubtless will soon loom large in my consciousness. Presumably it is deemed the 'best', if indeed such a thing can be stated with any certainty.
nopiano

Postby cafe latte » 10 Sep 2011 11:40

Dinohyus Hollandi wrote:
Zebbo wrote:I didn't read "significant" as meaning hi-end performance per-se, I took it as being innovative engineering.

In that case: SL1200 included. :roll:

cafe latte wrote:Have you owned one?

An SL200? No. A Planar 3? Since 1995. :wink:

The sl1200 sounds better than you think :)
All the same it is hards to make a list of the best. The rega planar 3 is a deck that introduced high quality at a sensible price. :D
CL
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby avole » 10 Sep 2011 12:24

Since the keyword is 'significant', let's hear it for the BSR and Garrard autochangers that generations cut their eyeteeth on. Easily the most significant decks ever produced.

Forget the audiophile, snobby decks, it was the proletarian changers that brought music to the masses.
avole

Postby Steerpike_jhb » 10 Sep 2011 14:20

Zebbo wrote:I took it as being innovative engineering.

Then the B&O linear tracker should be in there too. The early ones for their LT arms, the later ones for their platter drive.
Steerpike_jhb
long player
long player
contributor

Postby keiko5 » 10 Sep 2011 16:13

A direct drive Technics deck needed to be included, but I think they got the wrong one in calling out the SP10. And although I love the SL1200 (it was, after all my first good deck), I think it was the automatic SL1300 that first introduced the Japanese DD turntable to the masses, and opened the door for Pioneer, Sony, Marantz and others.

And why no mention of the Dual 1229?

Kevin
keiko5
contributor

United States of America

Postby nat » 10 Sep 2011 16:48

I can't speak to many of those tables, but it seems to me someone might have mentioned Emile Berliner's turntable, which started the whole turntable genre.
I would definitely put the AR on the list, and probably the Linn (for, in the case of the AR essentially inventing the whole suspended subchasis belt drive integrated turntable/arm/base thing, and the Linn for showing that super precision machining mattered, and that subjective impressions matter more than specs (at least the ones used for tables)).
I think the SP 10 is much more deserving than the SL 1200 (unless you are putting the 1200 on for scratching, which isn't exactly an audiophile activity, so no wonder they didn't include it for that). The SP 10 was one of the tables that proved that DD worked well -- the 1200 only was one of many examples that followed, though admittedly it sold like hotcakes and over a very long period.
If a Dual was to be on the list, it would have to be the 1019, which showed a changer could handle the most delicate cartridges, and sound as good as many single play manuals. The later Duals are just variations on the theme.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby jsmiddleton4 » 10 Sep 2011 17:23

I agree about the SL1200. Its "significance" is due to its impact and popularity. Is it a Mazeratti? Nope. It is a Toyota Camry. Yet it still, as the Camry did the car market, impacted the TT market a great deal.

I also agree about Duals. Not only because of the multiple disk playing capability yet maintaining high quality sound but because of the low mass design, mass marketing WITH high quality. Unlike BIC's, etc. So at least one of the Duals needs to be on the list.
jsmiddleton4
contributor

Postby pivot » 10 Sep 2011 18:32

If one likes the Regas or not, the low mass/ high rigidity concepts at the core of the design ran counter to the high mass and/or suspended subchasis approach that most "high end" tables were taking at the time.

This radical approach works for sales too of course, eaiser packing, shipping and almost no setup.

A great numbers customer's frist 'high end" table was/is a Rega.
Kevin R-M

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1
pivot
long player
long player

United States of America

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms