the home of the turntable

Thorens Td 318

snap, crackle and pop

Thorens Td 318

Postby grendel » 05 Sep 2011 18:48

I am hoping you guys can help me and give your thoughts on the Thorens TD 318 turntable. I own a Thorens TD 160 MKII and was wondering if this would be an upgrade. I also have my eye on a Lenco L-75. But I am not sure if these would be an upgrade.

Thanx in advance for the help.
grendel

Postby vincitsemper » 05 Sep 2011 19:31

Hey Grendel,

Seems you are building quite a collection mate!

Some people may disagree but the GL75 can be a surprisingly good deck,in a good plinth and coupled with a decent tonearm the heavy platter Lencos can punch well above their weight.

I loved belt drives,especially the LP12 but as soon as I started looking at Lenco idlers I was converted. You can pick them up still fairly cheaply in your part of the world so give them a go!

Danger with collecting too many turntables is that you spend more time fiddling with them and comparing than listening to music,at least this is what happens with me.

Regards,

Victor.
vincitsemper

Postby grendel » 05 Sep 2011 20:04

Hi Victor,

LOL! Yeah, you are right. I have been turning to vinyl since a 2 month and I am searching for the best deck since then. I picked up a few already, but somehow I always think I could to better. I am looking in the under $500 segment, so there is a lot to choose from. Right now, I am listening to some Grateful Dead on my newly required Pioneer PL12D. To be honest, I am amazed how good this budget table sounds. Amazing. I have also heard the new "High-End" decks, but they don't do it for me. I am all into vintage, I just love the nostalgia. But like you said, I have to take time and actually enjoy the vinyl sound. Cause even with a modest deck, it still smokes cd!

Kindest regards, Grendel.
grendel

Return to Turntables and Tonearms

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising