the home of the turntable

Fisher Speakers From The 60s?

radio, tape, stands and accessories

Fisher Speakers From The 60s?

Postby ThunderingTyphoons » 02 Sep 2011 03:28

I ask this everywhere I go at these boards.but is there anybody else here who has any love for Fisher speakers,especially the XP series from the 60s.

Like a lot of people I have an X-101,one of the earliest models,from 1959,and I love it to death.In fact,all but one of my components are from 1959-63,and unmodified.I have yet to find speakers,that I think compliment them.Some of you may know just what I mean,by how wrong and mismatched speakers from the 1980s onward can sound when hooked up to an otherwise older system.I also have a TD135,and a Philips 9022,something else a lot of audio snobs look down on,but people who hear them see their charms.

I would love to own a pair of old movie theatre Jensens or Altecs from the 50s,or similar such vintage monsters,but the cost is w-a-a-a-y too prohibitive for me.I saw some Stan Whites from the late 50s,that were a steal,$75.00,I think,on eBay a few months ago,but the guy all the way on the other side of the country from me,and would not ship them.

Has anyone else noticed this about 50s and 60s equipment,and modern speakers?

Has anyone else listened to 1960s Fisher XP's,and liked them,or the way they sound "right" with "golden age" equipment?I have a pair of XP7s,I bought for all of $5.99,that I have been able to date to 1966,or '67.I love them.I may have just lucked out on an especially "sweet" pair,but again,I see a lot of people who hear them like them.

I realize people pass these over,mainly because of the garbage Fisher put out,after Avery sold the company to Emerson,in the early 70s.I have also heard there are later XPs,of lightweight plywood,not the heavy walnut ones,like I have,that sound like crap.

Any opinions?
ThunderingTyphoons

Postby Whitneyville » 02 Sep 2011 04:07

I helped a friend disassemble 4 sets of Altec-Lansing 24" woofer Voice of the Theaters from an old movie theater up in a small town in Kansas. One of them was ruined beyond repair (water damage) , but he has two in his living room powered by 12 Altec 866 tube type amplifiers we salvaged (tri-amped) so I understand your feelings. Some people will "look down their noses", but I won't. The Fisher's don't sound like "modern" speakers, but what's wrong with that? I can write a very long list of very expensive "modern" speakers I don't like the sound of, personally. I'd rather have my old '58 Chrysler Imperial "runstored" than any new car sold today (since you could park 85% of all the new cars in it's trunk!) and it got better fuel economy than cars 1/4 it's size do. The only people I have to make happy are me and the Guinea Pig that owns me. But she's exceptional. :wink:
Ricky-Pooh
Whitneyville
long player
long player

United States of America

Fisher Speakers

Postby josephazannieri » 02 Sep 2011 04:11

Yo Thundering Typhoons:

Fisher made some pretty good equipment. They also made some stuff that wasn't so hot. They turned out a lot of consoles with open back speaker systems that varied like crazy. A lot of consoles like Fisher and Hoffman and Pilot had bad speaker systems, even though the amps and tuners were pretty good.

The component Fisher gear, including the speakers, was pretty good, and will work well with Fisher amps. Certainly wouldn't reject them out of hand, but there are also speaker systems that might be better, like the old AR's. The problem with the old AR's is that they need big amps to work right. MC 275's etc. Even Dyna ST-70 is marginal with AR-3's.

As far as I am concerned, the Fisher speakers you describe don't stink at all, and may be just what you need with X-101 so long as it has power enough to drive them. Sure wouldn't reject them if in good shape and working well.

And good luck from that old refugee from the '60's,

Joe Z.
josephazannieri
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby JoeE SP9 » 03 Sep 2011 05:44

For those who are infatuated with vintage gear and speakers there is http://www.audiokarma.org . You will find plenty of kindred spirits who collect and revere Fisher and other vintage gear. Fisher speakers also have their followers there.

FWIW my first piece of gear was a Fisher KX-90. I bought it as a kit in 1967. I've come a long way since then. It is however the only piece of gear I regret selling, only for sentimental reasons of course.

I'm interested in good sound. When or where something is made makes no difference to me.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird front: Acoustat Spectra 22, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. Behringer CX2310, DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Paradigm X-30, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby LPfan » 03 Sep 2011 12:34

Hallo Typhoons,

I have a pair of KS1a in storage. I had hooked them up briefly to my Dynaco SCA35 but did not find them as clear and and open as my Akai OB speakers driven by the same amp. I now plan to do some mods like new tweets and Xovers. Go through this thread on AK, especially Fisherdude's comments soyou can get the picture in a nutshell.

If you are looking for vintage speakers, look out for Electro
voice 12TRXB. I have no experience myself, but have heard good comments about them.

Regards,

LPfan
Music is a universal language.
LPfan
long player
long player

India

Postby Lazarus Short » 03 Sep 2011 17:29

I have a pair of Fisher 104's which a friend modded. The only thing original are the cabinets, grilles, and terminals. He gave them to me when he moved overseas. They sound good enough that I don't feel the need for anything more, but my Mission 70's sound almost as good
Lazarus Short

United States of America

Ev 12trxb

Postby josephazannieri » 04 Sep 2011 03:35

Yo Thundering Typhoons:

Responding to LPfan's comments, I have some experience with the Electro-Voice 12 TRX B. !2 TRX B was sold as a raw speaker. You had to build your own enclosure for it. EV suggested a group of designs that were suitable.

Many years ago, I built a set of Club Sandwich bass reflex enclosures that used 12TRXB Elecro-Voice speakers. This was a system designed by Dave Weems in his Popular Electronics days. BIG, over 6 cubic feet. (170 litres for LPfan) I used them from 1971 to 1974 when I sold them and replaced them with a pair of 12 cubic foot bass reflex enclosures that used Altec A7 components that I also built. The 12 TRXB's are very efficient and have a nice tight bass, but they have an Fs of 55 Hz, and a relatively low Qts, so they don't go that low, about 50 Hz in a bass reflex cabinet, which they need for maximum low frequency response. They make a lot of sound with not much ampifier power, and if you pick the right enclosure they will sound full enough, but they won't hammer you with a big bottom end.

Not the speakers for a fat low end and rap records, but I easily filled a 1000 seat hall with them driven with a Dyna St-70. Also, not for big amps due to limited power handling capability, about 50 watts max. But LOTS OF SOUND with limited power requirements.

And good luck from that loud old guy,

Joe Z.
josephazannieri
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Return to Other Stuff