the home of the turntable

Technics Sl-Qd33 / Slqd33 Blinking Start/Stop Red Led

turning japanese

Postby true_blue » 28 Aug 2011 21:35

August 26th, 2011, just bought a broken sl-qd33 for $10. Powers-on, no tt rotation, tone arm is locked in cueing-up position. Speed selector leds toggle ok. No led lights-up when toggling REPEAT or CUEING buttons. Does not smell from burn-out. Opened it and looks ok to me - no burned spots on boards or components - no obvious caps bulging. Tonearm only moves to center only about half its range and then gives resistance that I won't force against lest I break the broken tt more.

August 28th, 2011, Moved my query from the SL-QD33 library to this forum in hopes of a reply. Got bold and manually rotated tonearm motor which lowered the cueing mechanism. Now when powered on the START/STOP red led is off. Pressing the START/STOP button causes the led to light-up and the tonearm raises in cueing-up position, but tt does not spin. REPEAT and CUEING buttons leds light on and off when pressed.
Again I manually rotated tonearm motor which lowered the cueing mechanism. Powered on but not pressing START/STOP, I move the tonearm in to center and the tt spins, but the tonearm gives resistance that I won't force against past the edge of the LP. Dropping the tonearm on the LP and it stays on the LP for aout 2 seconds then falls off the edge. Returning the tonearm to its rest and the tt stops spinning. With tone arm at its rest, CUEING button led lights on and off and tonearm raises and lowers as normal when pressed. Is there any way to 'reset' this tt?
true_blue

Postby true_blue » 29 Aug 2011 05:56

August 28th, 2011, UPDATE. My sl-qd33 is back in sync. I fiddled blindly with the tonearm motor and record size detecting mechanism while powered-up.

I pressed the START/STOP button and the tonearm moved to cueing-up position and stops. The platter does not turn an inch. So, I reached in underneath and moved the record size detecting mechanism to a 'mid-way' detent position (I think). Then I start to rotate the tonearm motor by rubbing the worm gear and suddenly the motor and mechanicals start moving under own power. I remove my hand gently, and slowly lower the top half of plinth as I joyfully see the tonearm move over the LP and lower itself as it should. :o Then I pickup the tonearm and move it to the last few grooves of the last track and in a few seconds the tonearm picks itself up, moves to its rest, lowers, and the platter stops. I am able to repeat this numerous times and I belive its back in service.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this site for their determination to keep these great old machines from the landfills and finding good homes - an inspiration to me too. :idea:
true_blue

Re: Technics Sl-Qd33 / Slqd33 Blinking Start/Stop Red Led

Postby adhoc1977 » 26 Oct 2011 17:06

Same model, same problem, same solution.
Found mine on the street with a bum stylus and no power cord.
$40 dollars later and some turns of the screw, she purrs.
Dunno if it would without this forum.
Thanks true blue
adhoc1977

Postby dstavrianos » 24 Nov 2011 16:27

true_blue wrote:August 28th, 2011, UPDATE. My sl-qd33 is back in sync. I fiddled blindly with the tonearm motor and record size detecting mechanism while powered-up.

I pressed the START/STOP button and the tonearm moved to cueing-up position and stops. The platter does not turn an inch. So, I reached in underneath and moved the record size detecting mechanism to a 'mid-way' detent position (I think). Then I start to rotate the tonearm motor by rubbing the worm gear and suddenly the motor and mechanicals start moving under own power. I remove my hand gently, and slowly lower the top half of plinth as I joyfully see the tonearm move over the LP and lower itself as it should. :o Then I pickup the tonearm and move it to the last few grooves of the last track and in a few seconds the tonearm picks itself up, moves to its rest, lowers, and the platter stops. I am able to repeat this numerous times and I belive its back in service.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this site for their determination to keep these great old machines from the landfills and finding good homes - an inspiration to me too. :idea:

Hi True Blue. I have the same problem, but I bought this one brand new abouyt 28 years ago and woked fine till today, and I have the same symptoms. Arm frozen in the upper cue position and satrt/stop light blinking. Now I read what you wrote and how you solved the problem, but...when you say reached under you mean unscrew the whole bottom and take the bottom cover off? Your help and advise would be greatly appreciated.
dstavrianos

Postby dstavrianos » 24 Nov 2011 16:28

adhoc1977 wrote:Same model, same problem, same solution.
Found mine on the street with a bum stylus and no power cord.
$40 dollars later and some turns of the screw, she purrs.
Dunno if it would without this forum.
Thanks true blue

Are you talking about the screww that is in the back of the tone arm?
dstavrianos

Postby true_blue » 11 Dec 2011 17:01

To dstavrianos

I think that adhoc1977 was referring to rotating the worm gear on the tonearm mechanism motor when he wrote, "turns of the screw."

I'll try to remember this incident as best as I can.
I dismantled the cover and set it aside. I moved each corner of the tt to edge of workbench and I unscrewed the screws that are holding the 4 rubber pads on bottom. You might remove the screws without removing the pads but yours may want to come off which is ok, just remove all the pads in that case to keep things even. These screws hold the base onto the plinth(?). There might've been other fasteners to deal with but I don't recall any now.
Separating the 2 halves here is a tricky balancing act. From this forum you can search and read that some rig the plinth to be supported by what they have handy while working on the guts. Please be carefull since delicate wiring, circuit boards, and mechanicals can be damaged. I referred to the excellent library here of other Technics manuals close to my model since at the time the exact one was not available and still might not be now.
true_blue

Postby praffel » 07 Jul 2013 23:43

Thank-you for the blog! Pulled the turntable out of the closet, my son wanted to know what this strange thing was. Hooked it up and I had the blinking light, thought it was done. Now it is alive and well!!! I think the blinking light means the tone arm is not in the right position or where the turntable wants it to be. Took the back cover off (scary) "fiddled" with the worm drive on the tone arm mechanism and everything started to work again. Jamin to my old vinyl as I write....
praffel

United States of America

Postby true_blue » 11 Jul 2013 07:56

Ah nostalgia! Wonderful to hear you're hearing again.
Now encourage your son to make the joy his own. He needs to be gettting some 21st century vinyl he will want to jam to.
Carry on, listen to some Fun.
true_blue

Return to Technics Forum

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising