the home of the turntable

Advice About Technics Sl-Dl 1 Turntable

snap, crackle and pop

Advice About Technics Sl-Dl 1 Turntable

Postby ClaireRensonnet » 22 Aug 2011 08:26

hi,
I'm Claire, from Belgium.
I have the opportunity to buy a Technics SL-DL 1 turntable and I would like to know what you think about it.
Is it a good turntable ?

The seller told me that everything is ok, he made a test. Price is correct (70 euros, 100 USD)

I just want to listen to my good old and new vinyls and don't need a "dj turntable".

thanks a lot for your advices

Claire
ClaireRensonnet

Postby dlaloum » 22 Aug 2011 09:00

Hi Claire,

it is an excellent turntable, high quality, simple and easy to use...

The DJ turntables are not good for high quality listening - they are instead used as "musical instruments" - very different.

The one thing you may need is a replacement cartridge and/or needle

If the seller is not providing a brand new needle - you should assume that the needle is worn out and may damage your records - so allow some euros for a replacement stylus as a minimum, and/or perhaps a replacement cartridge and stylus.

The type of cartridge mounted on this turntable is a P-Mount or T4P.

It would be worthwhile to find out what cartridge is on the table now (then we could help you with finding the right/best possible) stylus.

A Bientot

David
dlaloum
long player
long player
contributor

Postby ClaireRensonnet » 22 Aug 2011 09:13

dlaloum wrote:Hi Claire,

it is an excellent turntable, high quality, simple and easy to use...

The DJ turntables are not good for high quality listening - they are instead used as "musical instruments" - very different.

The one thing you may need is a replacement cartridge and/or needle

If the seller is not providing a brand new needle - you should assume that the needle is worn out and may damage your records - so allow some euros for a replacement stylus as a minimum, and/or perhaps a replacement cartridge and stylus.

The type of cartridge mounted on this turntable is a P-Mount or T4P.

It would be worthwhile to find out what cartridge is on the table now (then we could help you with finding the right/best possible) stylus.

A Bientot

David

Hi David,

thank you very much for your answer. It was very useful. I will certainly need your help for finding cartridge or stylus.

see you
claire
ClaireRensonnet

Postby fscl » 23 Aug 2011 14:46

Instruction manual for the SL-DL1 can be downloaded here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/tech ... -dl1.shtml

Familiarize yourself with the operation of the tt and put the unit to the test using the manual. If you have a 12", 7" vinyl bring it and play and put the DL1 through it's paces, auto play, cue left and right to particular tracks and cue near the end to see auto return.... etc.

I agree with David, this is a good unit to start, no fuss, no muss and will provide good sounds from vinyl. If you do experience problems there is enough expertise here to help troubleshoot in the future.

Good luck and welcome to VE...... :)

Fred
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....WFUV Fan.
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Finally Not...

Postby ClaireRensonnet » 25 Aug 2011 16:00

hi !

well finally I didn't had the sl-dl1 (lost the bidding).
I'm looking for another one but didn't find one.

But there's a Technics sl-q3 on sale. Do you know this turntable ? is it a good one?

as before, I just want to listen to music, no scratching.

thanks !

claire
ClaireRensonnet

Postby Zebbo » 25 Aug 2011 18:47

Hi Claire
Where are you looking, E-bay?
What other equipment do you have?
What is your maximum budget?

Pete
Zebbo

Great Britain

Postby ClaireRensonnet » 25 Aug 2011 18:54

hi Pete,

yes, I've seen it on ebay ; here's the link :

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/32074732964 ... 1426.l2649

and I've also seen these ones :

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/27080533883 ... 1423.l2649

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/17068529210 ... 1423.l2649

I have no equipment actually; just an old turntable plugged on my guitar amp (using the input);

My budget would be max 100/150 euros for the turntable.

thanks a lot
Claire
ClaireRensonnet

Postby dlaloum » 26 Aug 2011 01:36

Hi Claire,

do you have an amplifier with a Phono input?

What guitar amp do you have and what input are you using?

bye for now

David
dlaloum
long player
long player
contributor

Re: Finally Not...

Postby charliewhite » 26 Aug 2011 01:52

ClaireRensonnet wrote:hi !

well finally I didn't had the sl-dl1 (lost the bidding).
I'm looking for another one but didn't find one.

But there's a Technics sl-q3 on sale. Do you know this turntable ? is it a good one?

as before, I just want to listen to music, no scratching.

thanks !

claire

I like the SL-Q3, good TT. I own one myself. I currently an lending it to a friend until they get their TT fixed
charliewhite
contributor

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 26 Aug 2011 06:53

Note that a phono pre-amp is a necessity to get the correct tonal balance, as well as balance, once you get past an old ceramic cartridge. You can get a separate one at a reasonable price.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby ClaireRensonnet » 26 Aug 2011 14:11

dlaloum wrote:Hi Claire,

do you have an amplifier with a Phono input?

What guitar amp do you have and what input are you using?

bye for now

David

Wow, I feel so ignorant... :(

my turntable is a very very basic one ; a kind of toy, with tuner and speakers incorporated (!). On the back side, there is an output for an audio cable (RCA ?).

As the sound was horrible, I've just had the idea to plug the turntable to my guitar ampli, using the rca cable and the input on the amp (the same where I plugged the guitar, on the front).
The guitar amp is a Ibanez troubadour (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... -amplifier )

well, I suppose it 's not a good solution, but now the sound is a little better

that's why I was thinking of buying a new turntable; and I suppose that later I should buy an ampli and a pair of speakers. But don't have enough money for all at the same time :lol: :?

by the way, thanks for all for your answers; this forum seems to be very welcoming !
ClaireRensonnet

Postby Zebbo » 26 Aug 2011 14:42

No problem we're a very helpful bunch here.
You won't be able to plug your new TT straight into your guitar amp as the output from a TT is VERY low. When you plug your little player into your amp the output from the TT has already been amplified. If you are wanting to get a reasonable sound you'll need an Integrated Amplifier with a "Phono" input or a Reciever will give you radio too. It doesn't have to cost loads, something like this would do ok: http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/Kenwood-KR-6400-vintage-receiver-/260838280779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_123&hash=item3cbb2c4e4b#ht_500wt_1156
Then buy yourself some little speakers and your away.

The Technics Q3 looks fine.
Last edited by Zebbo on 26 Aug 2011 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Zebbo

Great Britain

Postby dlaloum » 26 Aug 2011 14:56

Hi Claire....

OK in that case we must start at the beginning...

first the explanations.

The simplest cartridges (the bit on the end of the arm of the turntable, which turns the movement of the needle into sound) are what are known generically as Moving Magnet cartridges. (Strictly speaking some of them are moving iron, but that is getting technical...)

Moving magnet cartridges put out only around 5mV - and a normal RCA input require between 50 and 100 times that at around 250 to 500mV.

Also because of limitations in the vinyl medium, records are recorded with the bass frequencies reduced and the high frequencies increased - so when playing them back you need to lower the bass and raise the highs in precisely the same proportions used when recording the LP... This is known as the RIAA Equalisation standard (Recording Industry Association of America - there are other international standards but they are the same - or very close to it - and this is the most common term used for it).

So you need to take the signal from the cartridge, amplify it, equalise it, and then feed it to your amplifier - where you can control the volume and in turn power your speakers.

The in between step before your amplifier is called the Phono Stage, or the Phono Pre-amp....

Some amplifiers have this built in - in which case you will see a set of RCA inputs at the back labelled "Phono" - many current amplifiers do not have this as most people no longer own turntables!

Any amplifier or receiver sold before 1985 is pretty much guaranteed to have a phono stage in it.
Often the best way to get started is to find a nice old amplifier that someone is throwing out (it is 30 years old... it must be junk.... if you pay me a few eu. I will help you by carrying it away for you...).

Of course then you will need speakers.... same thing - the good speakers of 30 or 40 years ago are still good speakers today.... as long as they have not been mistreated or suffered from specific aging problems ... (speaker surrounds - rubber - can deteriorate with age, capacitors can also deteriorate).

So what you need to start looking at is how to setup a new(/old) music system.

It will need to have speakers, an integrated amplifier or receiver, and a turntable....

Sometimes the best way to start is with something like this:
http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/Chaine-Hifi-/12 ... 500wt_1156

or
http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/Chaine-HIFI-JVC ... 500wt_1156
(but you still need speakers)

or
http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/Teac-Reference- ... 500wt_1156
(very nice compact system - but you still need speakers and turntable - nice little amp though)

or
http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/TOP-HIFI-SYSTEM ... 195wt_1139
No magic here - everything is basic, but the system is modular - you can replace parts of it when you can afford to.... and it does include everything - the amplifier has a phono input for the turntable....

Most of the previous advice was based on us assuming that you already have a "HiFi System"....

Given that this is not the case... we need to step back, and readjust expectations - with only 150eu to spend on an entire system.... something much more basic is required.

Another alternative could be to skip the speakers and use headphones.... - that depends on how you like to listen!

You need to keep an eye on ebay or whatever local places people sell their "junk" / "old" gear at... and try to pick up a complete system that is 30 years old..... that will be the most economical way to get started.....

bye for now

David
dlaloum
long player
long player
contributor

Postby 13oots2 » 26 Aug 2011 15:23

You need to keep an eye on ebay or whatever local places people sell their "junk" / "old" gear at... and try to pick up a complete system that is 30 years old..... that will be the most economical way to get started.....

In the UK we have something called Freecycle, basically people advertise for items to be taken away for free. Perhaps you have something similar in Belgium.

Just because something in HiFi is 30 years old doesn't mean it is rubbish, amplifier technology has not changed too much in that time and many amplifiers back then were built to last, rather than the plastic mass produced rubbish available today for similar prices. Nearly all my gear is about 30 years old and would cost me a small fortune to get something as good these days, they don't build them like they used to.

Even a trip round charity shops may yield turntables, amplifiers and speakers of this era.
13oots2
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby ClaireRensonnet » 26 Aug 2011 16:36

a big big thank you for all your advice

maybe I'm gonna start with this one
http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/Chaine.....500wt_1156

if I have the chance for bidding !

and after I'll buy a good turntable and some other elements if necessary

:)
ClaireRensonnet