the home of the turntable

Tonearm Rewiring

snap, crackle and pop

Tonearm Rewiring

Postby ondesmartenot » 06 Jun 2011 03:09

Hi All
I just bought an early 70's Pioneer PL-510 for $5, that has had the tonearm wires cut off at the base, so I am going to try and rewire it. I have a couple of questions that maybe some of you guys can help with. Should I use a Lead-Free or a Lead-Based solder, and should I use a shielded wire or does it matter? Any help is appreciated.

Postby zwarte-romantiek » 06 Jun 2011 10:56

I recently used these ... 1e64077367

for rewiring an vintage ARGONNE tonearm. It was simple and easy. I use it with an ORTOFON high-output cartridge and it sounds nice.

Postby mikeap001 » 06 Jun 2011 22:43

Generally, if you can, get the leaded solder. It's generally not ROHs compliant but it makes a longer, more stable connection. Lead free solder's what's used in Laptop and computer motherboards and that's why so many of them breakdown if you over heat them--- some components get unsoldered. Though for the temperatures used for a turntable, it shouldn't matter.

As for wire, use any from 34 to 28 AWG tinned or untinned copper. You can get this from mouse wire, USB wire, or miniHDMI cable (34-30 AWG). The resistance per yard of those is actually less than than the resistance in 18 inches of Dual or Garrard tonearm wire according to my Radio Shack meter.

Return to Turntables and Tonearms