the home of the turntable

Turntable Mat With Acrylic Platter?

snap, crackle and pop

Turntable Mat With Acrylic Platter?

Postby Rob998 » 31 May 2011 21:03

I have a Systemdek 900 XII E with the acrylic platter (with a recess for the label). I currently play my records placed straight onto the platter, with no mat. The sound is good so I'm not too worried about playing them like this. My concern is when I use a brush/pad to dust the records sometimes they slip on the platter under the pressure of the brush. Even if I'm just using a carbon fibre brush with very little pressure it seems as if the drag from the brush is enough to cause the record to slip. This only really happens with quite thin records and I'm concerned that I might damage the records.

I've searched around & opinion seems split on whether or not to use a mat on an acrylic platter.

So I'd welcome your opinions, and suggestions for a suitable mat (cheap or DIY would be brilliant!) please!
Rob998
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby 13oots2 » 31 May 2011 21:13

I was under the impression that the idea that with acrylic that the acrylic was as close to a sonic match as the vinyl. You might find a mat dulls the sound, although I can see Alec124c41 sneeking up on some poor unsuspecting bovine with a pair of scissors, to make yet another leather mat.

The other solution is to clean your vinyl off the platter.
13oots2
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby mattlynch » 31 May 2011 21:50

13oots2 wrote:, although I can see Alec124c41 sneeking up on some poor unsuspecting bovine with a pair of scissors, to make yet another leather mat..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ,

how about using a weight or clamp, thats what i use on my rega with acrylic platter as i got the same issue when brushing , you will have to use it all the time and adjust suspension to suit but its an option,
all the best,
matt
mattlynch

Postby Tedrick » 01 Jun 2011 04:09

I'll second a record clamp or weight. TTWeights makes some real nice ones. There are also numerous cheap and effective DIY options.
Tedrick
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby satanfriendly » 01 Jun 2011 05:00

I thought about using a tight fitting rubber washer over the spindle. Might help hold the record in place sufficiently.

Bit cheap skate but might work.

Otherwise I'll second a clamp and especially those by TT weights (http://www.ttweights.com/). Made in Canada, but excellent at delivering quickly. They have a weight or clamp for every conceivable type of deck.
................................................................................2972.58734590245 = 28
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby Audie » 01 Jun 2011 06:13

A mat is likely to compromise performance on an acrylic platter, so I suggest it is not worth the effort or expense of experimenting with it.

To prevent slippage a clamp would be the better option. Clamps do not rely on weight for effectiveness and therefore usually weigh less, and so will not effect suspensions as much.

Audie.
Audie
contributor

Postby BigE » 01 Jun 2011 21:56

The clearaudio twister is on my table. It's made of Delrin, so it's supposed to help absorb some vibration. I like it because I can add a mat and the clamp will still reach the spindle. And, it's lightweight, so it works on an Ariston.
BigE

Return to Turntables and Tonearms