Michael Lim Upgrades

on level ground
bhutton

Post by bhutton » 03 Jun 2011 14:18

I popped the plastic pulley on my P2 with the flat of a screwdriver twisted to exert pressure and it came off fairly easily. When i installed the new Linn pulley had to make sure everything was pushed back down and seated properly.All in all it was fairly easy to do.

plastico
Canada

Post by plastico » 04 Jun 2011 23:30

I got my motor isolation base and double pulley yesterday. Well since I have not received my puller for my pulley yet, I decided to install the isolation base anyway. So far after a couple of hours of play, I can honestly say this ; it is Silent! I can hear more detail, and the music takes on a living, breathing thing! I guess the more silent you can make the table, the greater analog experience it becomes. 8)

Cheers, Plastico :D

Post by Guest » 05 Jun 2011 00:45

Ha, I got the pulley puller today. E Bay and from a place in State so I got it quick. Belt and double pulley on the way.
That puller didn't at first look like it would go around the existing pulley but it will just fit over it. So it should work fine.

I don't think I will mess with the Motor Isolation base. I wasn't planning on spending this much on my table. I bet it sounds good though.

Enjoy!

D

plastico
Canada

Post by plastico » 05 Jun 2011 00:55

The first thing that came to mind was - Damn you Bacobits! on getting that puller! :lol: . On the serious side, if you ever get that base it will make your P5 a GREAT table! :)

Post by Guest » 05 Jun 2011 01:08

LOL!

If you were closer you know I would drive it over and have a listen.

BTW, I didn't know they have grass up in the "Great White North". ??
:oops: We bad!

Don't start with the Motor Isolation. What is it, another $110 I think. I'm getting into P7 territory now as it is, essentially that is what it's going to be without the fancy platter. I bet the GT Sub-platter is better than Rega's own.

Just m-a-y-b-e later WAY later. I know you can hear all these changes too.

D

plastico
Canada

Post by plastico » 05 Jun 2011 01:20

I hear ya. I think I'm into 3 grand territory now! But the way I look at it, all my changes have been gradual since 2005. By the way , my grass is very green and LUSH! :lol:

diviy

Post by diviy » 05 Jun 2011 02:11

I think I'm into 3 grand territory now!
Is that on a p3 out of intrest and if so what have you done in total

here is my spending list
p2 £50.00
p3 £93.00 no arm but a full srm upgrage kit fitted
the p3 then had the rb 250 arm fitted
origin live counter weight £50.00
mike lim sub-platter and new pully £134.00 when they come
So what Ive spent Im a happy man buying used is a great way to save money only things Ive got new are the lim upgrades and the cart
:D :D :D :D

Post by Guest » 05 Jun 2011 18:51

Always buy used. There are always tons of deals out there.
On my p5 I am around the $1900 territory in a little over a years time.
That is cheaper than a P7 retail ($2700).
I'm nuts, but it sounds damn good! It did also as a stock form P5 too.
Everything used in mint condition.

Rega P5 , TTPS >>used 1100
GT Reference Sub-platter/Bearing >>New 250
GT Acrylic Platter >>used 120
GT Counter Weight >>used 100
2 White belts >>new 75
Dual Pulley >>new 45
TT Weights clamp >>new 100
Black Diamond Racing #3 Cones feet and bases >>new 120
Tone Arm Spacers and Bolts >> 85 used came with table

Not counting any Cartridge stuff or Phono Pre.

D

plastico
Canada

Post by plastico » 06 Jun 2011 09:07

Damn, thats one sweet table you got there Bacobits! That is also very good advise! Okay, I listened to the P3 today with the motor isolation base, and here are my findings.
[1] it sounds more human than it has a right to.
[2] the bass goes to subterranian depths like never before
[3] every record that sounded screechy or was on the borderline acceptable is now a pleasure to listen to.
[4] this is besides the subplatter replacement in my view ,the biggest upgrade so far. I'm waiting with baited breath for my pulley remover, so I can get that double pulley on!! :shock: :lol: :D
Hi Diviy. Ya, so far with everything in my profile , I have spent $3400 dollars CAN since 2005 . thats including the table of course! :shock:

mattlynch

Post by mattlynch » 06 Jun 2011 13:04

hi guys,
plastico,thats one hell of a P3 you got there, the bill makes my very scottish wallet tremble
:lol:
any one got there pulley fitted yet? my friend is interested but he has the alloy pulley on his P3 and is wondering if the differences are the same when replacing the alloy one with a limm dual belt pulley?
cheers,
matt

Post by Guest » 06 Jun 2011 18:06

plastico,
yea, that's what we want is "human"!
That is an expensive P3 you have there. Well done over the years.
Please post some picts of that Motor Isolation upgrade and Pulley when you do it.

What are you using for a Phono Pre and a cartridge?
I have gone through too many Phono Pre's in the last 5 years too. All in the pursuit of "human". I have it now but all of the vinyl is not recorded that well.

All of it matters. I had a Basis 1400 all decked out and it did not sound as good as I have it now with the P5. The Basis is made very well and to precision, the price tells, but it just didn't boogie and it was not the rest of my equipment lacking.

D

plastico
Canada

Post by plastico » 07 Jun 2011 06:40

Hi Bacobits. I too have been on a long quest for the perfect synergy whithin my table. It took me awhile but I got here. I am running a Grant Fidelity P307 Preamp with Psvane Reference tubes. My cart is a Dynavector 10x5 with the plastic body removed. It has a 2mm spacer for VTA. I took the three Delrin spacers off my GT reference subplatter and cut two business cards to fit on top of the subplatter. Then I put my GT acrylic platter on top of the cards. This changed my stylus angle for the better. One last thing, I made some resister plugs to load my cart at 1500 ohms. :D

I will take some pics when I get back home; I just arrived at a remote mining camp in Northern Ontario

Cheers, Plastico

Post by Guest » 07 Jun 2011 16:07

Grant Fidelity has some real nice stuff for the prices. I guess Rachel takes real good care of everybody too. Someone else looking for a Phono Pre asked about that P307 on .
I have the Dynavector 10X5 and that is a great cartridge. I presume I would like all the Dynavectors. I like the Denon's too. The DL103R is a bargain.

I didn't look real close at the bearing housing but I think there is room to raise or lower (VTA) the platter there? I'll look more closely when the Pulley arrives. I also ran a 2mm spacer on the 10X5, perfect! I use a 3X5 lined index card to start at level for VTA.

Picts, Picts, picts!

D

gabriel1998

Post by gabriel1998 » 07 Jun 2011 19:14

plastico wrote:Hi Bacobits. I too have been on a long quest for the perfect synergy whithin my table. It took me awhile but I got here. I am running a Grant Fidelity P307 Preamp with Psvane Reference tubes. My cart is a Dynavector 10x5 with the plastic body removed. It has a 2mm spacer for VTA. I took the three Delrin spacers off my GT reference subplatter and cut two business cards to fit on top of the subplatter. Then I put my GT acrylic platter on top of the cards. This changed my stylus angle for the better. One last thing, I made some resister plugs to load my cart at 1500 ohms. :D

I will take some pics when I get back home; I just arrived at a remote mining camp in Northern Ontario

Cheers, Plastico
What the difference betweena GF P307 and a Yaqin MS 12B? I have the yaqin, paid $160 shipped but its heavily modded. How are the Psvane Reference tubes? I know the stock that came with my Yaqin were garbage!

MadMax

Post by MadMax » 09 Jun 2011 17:49

Interesting thread, I have to admit I'd never heard of this Michael Lim before! :oops:

Hmm, now I can see how the isolation base is a worthwhile upgrade, but can someone explain exactly how the double pulley is going to Help things?

If anything I would have thought that a "looser" connection between the pulley and the sub would be desirable, so that any variations in the motor speed are not transmitted. Isn't that the point of a heavy platter? Acting as a flywheel?