Postby diviy » 23 May 2011 15:38

Anyone tried his upgrades for the rega thinking of getting the following

1 pc dual 50Hz pulley
Sub-platter (aluminium)
counter-weight upgrade
motor isolation base upgrade.
diviy

Postby Erocka2000 » 24 May 2011 19:31

Not to bash Michael Lim's products as I've never used them, but as I mentioned in your last post, the general consensus is that the Groovetracer Subplatters are the way to go. I suggest you take a look at them. They also sell acrylic platters and counterweights, though I haven't tried either of those.
Erocka2000

Postby Mike-h » 25 May 2011 00:41

Erocka2000 wrote:Not to bash Michael Lim's products as I've never used them, but as I mentioned in your last post, the general consensus is that the Groovetracer Subplatters are the way to go. I suggest you take a look at them. They also sell acrylic platters and counterweights, though I haven't tried either of those.

The trouble there is that $250 = £150, but with postage and duty a groovetracer sub comes in at about £250 in the uk. I haven't seen any reports that say that a groovetracer improves the sound pro rata. It may be very well made, it may look the mutts nuts, but it's sound we're after.
Mike-h

Great Britain

Postby wobbleu » 25 May 2011 14:03

If you look back in this section I think you'll find quite a few people (including me) saying that the Groovetracer sub made the biggest improvement to their deck(s) - over PSU's, counterweights etc.

Fortunately the exchange rate hasn't always been this high...mine was a bit cheaper all in.

I've probably spent just under a grand (including the deck, platter, sub, psu, arm etc) and I reckon the sound I get now is probably not far off a P7 so price wise it's in keeping - I prefer the simplicity, design and sound of the Rega's ( I have 2 other springy decks - if I feel the urge to 'fettle').

I've followed Michael Lim's products and enquired about them with a view to purchase but haven't so far - they look very good, and I'd like to listen to them but other things always get in the way.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has had a go with them.
wobbleu

Postby nabil » 25 May 2011 16:15

I've just contacted him via email and if his very fast response time is any indication his products will be impressive. I'm going to order one of the 60Hz double belt metal pulleys ($45.00 delivered) so I'll let you all know what I think. I too am inclined to order the Groovetracer sub-platter over the others out there.
nabil

United States of America

Postby diviy » 25 May 2011 17:01

Ive bitten the bullet and ordered a sub platter and new pulley so I shall let you know how it sounds when they come.
diviy

Postby Torero » 27 May 2011 13:46

I have asked for the double pulley too. In my case for my Rega P3-24.

I'm already looking forward.

The next upgrade probably will be the isolation vibration motor base but i have to make holes in the plinth.
Torero

Postby Guest » 27 May 2011 23:26

How did you order from Michael Lim?
E Mail?
What was the cost on the dual pulley?

D

Postby nabil » 28 May 2011 00:16

bacobits wrote:How did you order from Michael Lim?
E Mail?
What was the cost on the dual pulley?

D

I emailed him, and the cost delivered to the US was $45.00. He has a Paypal account and asked that I pay him that way.
nabil

United States of America

Postby mattlynch » 28 May 2011 12:59

hi all , my dual pulley arrived this morning, quality is exeptional and a very very precise fit on the motor shaft , start up time is less than half an rpm, almost as fast as the Technics 1200/1210 !!
will give my thoughts on any effects on sound after i have given a few LP's a spin.
all the best,
matt
mattlynch

Postby diviy » 28 May 2011 13:28

Matt how long did your pulley take to come I am waiting for mine ?
My daughters also got me a origin live counter weight and stub for my birthday so I will have loads of upgrades to fit soon :lol: :lol: :lol:
diviy

Postby mattlynch » 28 May 2011 13:37

diviy wrote:Matt how long did your pulley take to come I am waiting for mine ?
My daughters also got me a origin live counter weight and stub for my birthday so I will have loads of upgrades to fit soon :lol: :lol: :lol:

hi diviy,
from making payment to it dropping through the mail box was 18 days, Michael kept me updated at every stage and is a real pleasure to deal with,
i have listened to the first side of inxs kick and already there is some very nice differences ,all for the better! ,i am still using black belts too ,so when i get round to a pair of white belts it may be even better still.
more in my final review in a few days,
the OL counterweight mod will make you smile BTW , especially if its going on a 250 but still brings improvement to the 300, please give us your thoughts on each mod as you fit them, it all helps others.
all the best,
matt
mattlynch

Postby diviy » 28 May 2011 14:41

My p3 has a rb250 arm fitted its also got a srm upgrade kit fitted.I will fit one upgrade at a time and report what I hear.Time to dig my tnt triple t speaker cables back out as well I think I can now hide them so mrs can`t complain about them being ugly any more :lol: :lol: :lol:
diviy

Postby Torero » 28 May 2011 17:27

I had already a white belt, but i bought one more for the new pulley. And it arrived this week. Now i hope that the double pulley arrive soon for prove it.

Please mattlynch , more impressions!! =P~
Torero

Postby mattlynch » 28 May 2011 18:25

hi all,
i havent had much time free today but what i have done is a speed check and played two lps,
first the speed, my rega has always ran at 33.4rpm and 45.2 rpm even after fitting the GT sub platter and fitting a Hercules II power supply,it was still the same,, with the new pulley i get 33.3 and 45 rpm, so straight away that is an improvement,.
before i fitted the new pulley i played inxs kick and the gorillaz the fall ,then played them again with the pulley,
immediate impressions are of a cleaner presentation, on one of the inxs tracks there is piano at both left and right extremes of the sound stage, previously these pianos were coming from a long way behind the speakers, with the new pulley those same piano's are brought forward and extended farther out to the left and right of the sound stage, bass on the gorillaz lp seems faster even though the deck is actually playing slower than before!
more soon,
all the best,
matt
mattlynch

Next

Return to Rega