the home of the turntable

linn lp12 isolation (picture added!!)

separated at birth

linn lp12 isolation (picture added!!)

Postby Apokalypse » 27 Feb 2005 10:47

I just bought a second hand lp12. Unfortunately it's going to be placed on the second floor of a rented house (this means no wall shelves) on a very light steel stand. Not the greatest setup for isolating vibration.

Anyway I'm going to be making some sort of isolation device and I'm not certain which way to head down... a stone (granite?, marble?) slab on spikes, a box filled with sand, tyre tubes etc... then should the box be on spikes or does this defeat the purpose of the box's weight/tyre tubes.

I ordered some brightstar isonodes with my cartridge and I've since read these don't work so well with suspended turntables. Could I use them under any isolation box/platform or would spikes be better.

Does anyone have any pictures or faq's I can read on isolation? I'm keen to learn more.
Apokalypse

Postby Apokalypse » 27 Feb 2005 11:05

Forgot to mention my soft wooly carpet :(
Apokalypse

Postby audioorigami » 27 Feb 2005 12:55

some rigid wood table with extra wieght like marble/bricks/sand maybe on a shelf in the table..will help
be worth trying spikes and or rubber feet for the table

i suspect you will have to walk on your tip toes tho :roll:
audioorigami
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby Apokalypse » 27 Feb 2005 14:56

Thanks for the response and yes I've done some reading and it seems like a lightweight rigid set up seems to be the go. Footsteps won't be a huge problem as I don't move around too much while listening to records.

Anyone recommend any cheap spikes? With using the spikes it's best to use 3 I've gathered, does this go for speakers too?

What type of wood is best for this kind of application?
Apokalypse

Postby Apokalypse » 28 Feb 2005 09:20

I've made an image of what I want to do. I'm not sure if I should use spikes instead of the isonodes on the shelf and I'm not sure what material I should be using for the shelves.

Anyone care to comment?

Apokalypse

Postby audioorigami » 28 Feb 2005 18:28

looks fantastic....could be a winner :roll:
audioorigami
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby Seb » 28 Feb 2005 22:58

what about a sandbox ?

regards

Seb
Seb
modérateur

Postby Apokalypse » 01 Mar 2005 00:29

Would a sandbox under the TT be a good idea though? Doesn't really keep with the recurring light/rigid theme that seems to be so popular with the lp12. I'm going to put some bricks on the lower shelf of the rack and I'm going to spike the bottom of the rack as well for stability.

The main thing I'm not sure about is whether to use the isonodes or spikes on the shelf under the spiked TT. On one hand the isonodes will damp the vibration from the TT letting it release energy, but on the other hand they may interact with the suspension in the TT... so I'm not sure which way to go.
Apokalypse

Postby Gerard » 01 Mar 2005 14:32

The Sondek was a funny one....very choosy about it's support.
Light metal frame, with spiked MDF top was the best I seem to remember.The Sound Organisation used to make one specifically for it.
Gerard
Gerard
contributor

Postby Apokalypse » 01 Mar 2005 14:56

That suits me perfectly then.

I have some questions about the physics of this stand though....

If I put the isonodes underneath my CD player on the lowest shelf or amplifier on the middle shelf will it affect the turntable at all? Is there any point isolation your amplifier as it has no moving parts?

Also, while it will benefit stabilisation, will putting some bricks on the bottom level of the stand compromise the idea of a 'light' stand?
Apokalypse

what do i put my tt on

Postby bastlnut » 02 Mar 2005 23:59

Also, while it will benefit stabilisation, will putting some bricks on the bottom level of the stand compromise the idea of a 'light' stand?

well, if your stand doesn't touch floor through the carpet (via spikes) then your whole project is for nothing.

If I put the isonodes underneath my CD player on the lowest shelf or amplifier on the middle shelf will it affect the turntable at all? Is there any point isolation your amplifier as it has no moving parts?

which component on which level in your stand? top heavy things wobble! heavy things should be close to the floor as to keep the center of gravity low. if i may be presumptuous; you are probably wanting to keep the lead from your tt as short as possible, so put the cd on top of a granit plate on the bottom shelf killing 2 birds with one stone. better would be to have a dedicated stand just for your turntable.
amplifiers need isolation too, even without moving parts or tubes. look at all the money, material and research put into an amp to damp the prints and transformers.

just try out the different ways to isolate unit, spikes or isonodes or whatever else you may find. there are a lot of finished tables you can buy for a linn. it seems that multiple bases supported by cones work best. also the cones should line-up one on top of the other.

hope this all helps.
bastlnut
long player
long player
contributor

Switzerland

Footfall

Postby rreynolds » 04 Mar 2005 02:23

You guys have it all wrong. You do not want to couple the turntable to the floor. That will make the problem much worse. Hear me out.
I have been listening to a Logic with the Grace 707 and a Supex for many years. I also live on the second floor and foot fall is a problem. Here is my story.
I bought one of those fine tubular steel equipment racks and filled it with sand and put this on a granite inertia base - same idea as you. Once I had this bad boy set up I couldn't Crawl to the table without skipping. Hell, if I moved on the couch I could hear it!
Sooo.. I bought one of those cheap particle board TV stands on castors that you can buy from the home improvement stores. The castors give it a smaller footprint and the flimsiness of the whole setup works Great.
The lesson is you want to couple your equipment to Solid Substrates only.
If you give it a good think I believe you will agree.
Anyone want to buy a nice $1,000 rack?
rreynolds

Return to Ariston / Linn