the home of the turntable

Fisher MT-6225

snap, crackle and pop

Fisher MT-6225

Postby vexorgtr » 04 Mar 2011 07:02

Wow... I look at my two turntables... which are pretty impressive mid-fi.. Sony PS-X5 and the Fisher MT-6225 and realize I have only a few favors and 10$ wrapped up in them... Carts are a different deal.

The Fisher was a huge improvement for me as the rumble just disappeared with the linear drive. No motor hum could be heard... silence where there should be silence.. what a concept. I have found tons on the Sony, but not too much on the Fisher. Hoping someone had a spec sheet or something.

The original Ortofon OEM (I think) cart that came on the Fisher had a failed stylus, and wasn't worth much to me... so I put it away and went all hell with a v15Vxmr.. that's now Migrated to the Sony, and the Fisher currently wears a M97xE. I really love these direct drive units. They are so quiet and W/F is minimal... two of my worst sonic demons are gone.

The arms on these are neat too... big and bulky by most standards, but very precision, and they ride well.

Anyone have any insight on the Fisher? Top shelf from them? Nothing special?? It works great for me as an alternate.
vexorgtr

Postby rhomanski » 07 Mar 2011 18:11

I bought an entire Fisher system back in '84'. At the time it seemed great. But then I was coming from boombox audio. Today I consider it a good first step.

It's pretty much a gutless wonder. The turntable didn't last very long at all and I had to throw it away. It came with a Fisher cartridge as I imagine yours did too. As far as I know, Fisher didn't make any good equipment in the '80's. They were more about looks and marketing than quality.

Having said that, it's a good first step and you got it for the right price. Enjoy it as long as it lasts,but don't spend anything on it when it goes. Get a better one. Don't mean to sound too negative, just telling it like I see it. Good luck with it and enjoy the music.

Regards,

Ron.
rhomanski

Postby vexorgtr » 08 Mar 2011 03:45

I believe this one is circa 1978.... It's a direct drive with the linear poll system
vexorgtr

Postby vexorgtr » 08 Mar 2011 06:33

I pulled it out and took it for a spin... on a record with some obvious pressing defects... this cart works better on the im-per-fekt record.

I believe it to be a '78 It's fitted with a Shure M97xE I find the arm to be quite nice, it has good torque.. not quite that of other DD's, but good platter mass keeps the record running smooth.

Should have dusted it off before hand... oops... Cleaned the stylus, platter, and LP... that's what counts I guess.
vexorgtr

Postby mrow2 » 21 Mar 2011 17:11

It's my impression from ones I've worked on that Fisher units are Sanyos, and some can be very nice indeed; Sanyo built some real nice bulletproof models especially in the S-arm style. I believe Sanyo took over the Fisher name. I had to throw one linear unit away, sorry I did that but the arm-drive motor was leaking some goo and I didn't now how to fix.
mrow2
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby vexorgtr » 24 Mar 2011 02:18

I see someone just posted the user manual for one... FUN! It's been a good alternate table... With these vintage pieces, when one needs serviced and you need some tunes, it's nice to have a second.
vexorgtr

Fisher

Postby Mark Edson » 01 Apr 2011 01:18

Hi there fisher is a part of sanyo they made the same systems in the units but you paid an extra £100 on top just for the fisher name I had a problem with my fisher set up when playing a record I found out that amp would just cut out when playing a LP on the record deck I sent the amp and the record deck back to be fixed time and time again they it just came back with the same problem until I told them to play a record then they knew what I was talking about but said the full HiFi had to go back after that I didn't get another fisher HiFi I will say the build was ok the sound was so so but not the best I paid £649.99 for the HiFi in 1987 that was for the amp tuner cassette & record deck & a set of fisher speakers that all came in a glass unit
Mark Edson

Re: Fisher MT-6225

Postby markshan » 26 May 2013 22:55

Nobody who answered this thread has any experience with that model. They all just hear "Fisher" and poo-poo it. That is a really nice table. I bought several that were supposed to be upgrades and ended up flipping them because the Fisher sounded better. It wasn't until I got to the JVC QL-A7 that I finally put the 6225 in reserves, and that comparison was still relatively close. I feel if analog hadn't declined in popularity, that the "platter as motor" design would have been refined and become a preferred drive choice.

The current Brinkmann Audio Bardo model seems to be a variation on that design concept, and it is a $10,000 table. That is the table I would want if I hit the lottery or something.
markshan

Postby Emref » 27 May 2013 20:16

markshan wrote:Nobody who answered this thread has any experience with that model. They all just hear "Fisher" and poo-poo it. That is a really nice table. I bought several that were supposed to be upgrades and ended up flipping them because the Fisher sounded better. It wasn't until I got to the JVC QL-A7 that I finally put the 6225 in reserves, and that comparison was still relatively close. I feel if analog hadn't declined in popularity, that the "platter as motor" design would have been refined and become a preferred drive choice.

The current Brinkmann Audio Bardo model seems to be a variation on that design concept, and it is a $10,000 table. That is the table I would want if I hit the lottery or something.

Hi: I own a Fisher 6335, (120 pole linear motor etc) not so nice to view as the 6225 but the same principle, I bought it new in 1980 aprox, and it is running flawless today, only "Service" was last year to put some drops of oil in the main shaft/spinde (there is a little screw that covers a hole where it is allocated, you can see it if you take out the entire bottom of the TT)
With a ShureV15IV the original Shure stilus and now a JicoSAS it outperforms all the tracking tests of the Shure ERA IV Test vinyl...

I´m very happy with it..

Sorry my english

Regards
Alberto
Emref
contributor

Argentina

Postby mrtim » 28 May 2013 22:58

tt1.JPG
My MT-6225 Spinning some Moody Blue's
(81.34 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
I own the Fisher MT-6225 and is my main turntable running a Shure V15 III on it. It is indeed a quite running turntable and the speed is rock steady. It replaced my Technics SLD-3 which was not a bad TT I just like the Fisher better. Most of the build is on a very heavy steel plate and the tone arm movement is free with no discern-able play (looseness in the vertical plane).
mrtim

Return to Turntables and Tonearms

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising