the home of the turntable

Garrard Sp4 Rear Jacks Are For External Speakers?

the jewel in the crown

Garrard SP4 rear jacks are for external speakers?

Postby linop » 26 Feb 2011 20:08

Hi guys, I've got a Garrard model SP4 record player which has two jacks on its back. Does anyone know if those are for connecting external speakers? If so, which connector they require?

I've been searching the web like crazy after this, but can't find much information on the model itself.

Thanks a lot!
linop

Still researching

Postby linop » 10 Apr 2011 13:27

Hi all,

I'm still trying to hook up the Garrard 4SP (wrongly named on my previous post) record player to an external amplifier and have found this image on the internet, stating it is from "electricity plug and signal bananas" of a Garrard 4SP model:

Does anyone know how is that connector called? Is there any modern cable that replaces it?

Many thanks for any help!
linop

Postby LPfan » 10 Apr 2011 20:10

Hi!

Those connectors in the photo are known as banana pins. If your turntable has the same type pins, then you have a mono player. You can remove the two banana pins and replace with a single RCA connector.

The player shall probably have an old crystal cartridge. Do not play any modern stereo records on it as the cartridge is not suitable for them and the records shall be damaged.

Regards.

LPfan
Music is a universal language.
LPfan
long player
long player

India

Postby linop » 22 Apr 2011 12:55

Thanks LPfan!

I was aware that some turntables cannot be used with stereo records, but didn't know this one would be like that.

Do you know if it's possible to make a cable with these banana connectors in one end, to plug on the turntable, and RCA on the other end, to plug in a modern amplifier?

Thanks again!
linop

Re: Garrard Sp4 Rear Jacks Are For External Speakers?

Postby nobby6 » 07 Mar 2012 22:17

Hi Linop the two single plugs i believe are used to plug into vintage radio as line in to pick up sound. I have an sp4 and used this back in fifties whilst in the army in Cyprus. I also have two pin connector as power plug and this can be used via 2pin adaptor.I am interested to know if crystal gc2 cartridge is still available for both 78 and lp stylus and where should i try to obtain these from .O how should i maintain this old cartridge to see if it will work again .
Nobby 6
nobby6

Postby LPfan » 08 Mar 2012 03:16

nobby6 wrote:I am interested to know if crystal gc2 cartridge is still available for both 78 and lp stylus and where should i try to obtain these from .O how should i maintain this old cartridge to see if it will work again .
Nobby 6

Hallo nobby6,

welcome to VE,

GC2 cartridge is no longer manufactured. Any old stock item would not be reliable as crystals tend to deteriorate with age. You can use a modern ceramic cartridge with with a turnover stylus.

HTH

LPfan
Music is a universal language.
LPfan
long player
long player

India

Postby Steerpike_jhb » 08 Mar 2012 03:25

Many of the radios and record players from England in the 1960s had plugs similar to modern banana plugs but NOT the commonly encountered 4mm size used now.
Krone still offer that size - it's probably some imperial dimension around 3.2mm
Steerpike_jhb
long player
long player
contributor

Postby nobby6 » 08 Mar 2012 18:27

LPfan wrote:
nobby6 wrote:I am interested to know if crystal gc2 cartridge is still available for both 78 and lp stylus and where should i try to obtain these from .O how should i maintain this old cartridge to see if it will work again .
Nobby 6

Hallo nobby6,

welcome to VE,

GC2 cartridge is no longer manufactured. Any old stock item would not be reliable as crystals tend to deteriorate with age. You can use a modern ceramic cartridge with with a turnover stylus.
Hi LPfan thanks for advising on crystal cartidge . Can you advise as to what ceramic cartridge i should obtain in order to fit orignal arm on the Garrard 4 SP deck.
LPfan

LPfan wrote:
Nobby 6

Hallo nobby6,

welcome to VE,

HTH

LPfan
nobby6

Postby nobby6 » 19 Mar 2012 22:41

Hi LPFAN thanks for your reply to my previous question re cartidge change . Can you advise what type of ceramic cartridge i should fit into existing arm on my Garrarard 4sp . Also would the original wiring remain the same for re connection to ceramic cartridge. Nobby6
nobby6

Return to Garrard Forum

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising