the home of the turntable

AT-LP60.. Just bought.. Utter garbage...

snap, crackle and pop

AT-LP60.. Just bought.. Utter garbage...

Postby missthedudeman » 09 Feb 2011 03:05

Hello all... Just bought an AT-LP60 turntable and no sound is coming out of it... Old player hooked up and had no problems, but it just broke.. Also... put on a brand new record and the thing is already skipping... You've gotta be kidding me!... Is there any record player that is affordable and good out there? I don't make a lot of money, as I go to college and work a horrible minimum wage job. This is my third player and I'm really getting tired of never having any luck. :x
missthedudeman

Postby bubba45 » 09 Feb 2011 05:29

Would you consider 2nd hand? And whats your budget?
bubba45
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby twowheelin » 09 Feb 2011 05:36

If there is no sound coming out, it is likely either a cable problem or possibly there is no stylus on the needle. You mentioned it's skipping, but I'm not sure how you can tell if you can't hear it. (?) If it's visibly skipping without getting bumped or jostled, that would also indicate that there's no needle. Check the very tip of the needle with a strong magnifying glass or a stylus scope if you can find one. You should see a small v shaped stone on the bottom of the needle. Gallery Pic This is supposed to glide in the record groove. No stylus, no sound and the arm will not track the record grooves. You may also want to verify that the arm moves completely free and smooth over the normal travel path from the rest to label area of a record.
Revolver refit w/Rega RB301->Denon 301-Mk2->MF Pre->Marantz->PSB
twowheelin

United States of America

Postby Mark E Smith's Dentist » 09 Feb 2011 09:42

Are you sure it's set up correctly? Not saying some things aren't just DOA but it's got to be worth picking through the manual and checking everything twice. I'm sure everyone here could tell you instances of thinking something didn't work until they wiggled a connector, flicked a switch or removed a transit bolt and then suddenly everything was fine. It's not just me? Guys? :oops: :oops:

As for good and cheap it depends on your definitions of both "good" and "cheap". Your best bet is, as previously suggested, an astute/lucky secondhand purchase.

JT
Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby missthedudeman » 09 Feb 2011 14:45

The needle is perfectly new. I tried connecting it a bunch of different ways. It has a phono/line switch for a preamp on the back. Tried both of those. No luck. It was on a completely even surface. I even have an ArtCessories DJ Pro Amp II that I hooked it up to. No luck. Tried adjusting the weight of the tone arm and it only made things worse. Bottom line is -- the thing just feels cheap. My turntable before this was purchased off eBay and it's a goner now. I just feel like I am cursed or something.

The reason I could hear sound... Not sure... It was very quiet, like when you don't have the turntable plugged into something, but louder than that even. It was very strange.

I guess my budget would be $100-250. I know that's not much, but once again... If I wanted anything more expensive than that, I would have to save for a while and I want to listen to my records sooner than later. I just feel afraid of getting a secondhand one because of what just happened. I feel I am cursed or something.

And, also, I am completely stupid when it comes to the mechanics of turntables, etc. I know how to hook them up to my stereo unit, just don't know about cartridges, how to attach them, etc. I am sorry :cry: I feel kind of inadequate asking a ridiculous question like this, but feel like is the only place I can go for help.

I already printed a return label and am awaiting UPS to pick the thing up so I can get my money back. Seems like I always get the lemon out of the bunch.
missthedudeman

Postby fscl » 09 Feb 2011 15:37

Came across this which I find greatly interesting, a 3D rendering of the AT illustrating parts, assembly and operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QBfZ_0yZZY

Here's one in proper function along with hookup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhyrbITXZf0&feature=related

Another video for troubleshooting, make sure the AT is switched to Line Output:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-4W1aFVLt0&feature=related

If there's still no sound return it especially since you are new to vinyl. Also, in this era of globalization, the only way to feedback to the manufacturer is return of defective units so a reject rate can be established and / or any implementation to make corrections to the assembly line.

Good luck.

Fred
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....WFUV Fan.
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby missthedudeman » 09 Feb 2011 16:13

Thank you so much for going to that trouble, Fred. My friend said he could give me a Technics SL-QD33R on the cheap, so I think I'm going to do that. However, he said the sound is distorted but the thing runs fine. I'm guessing if I get a new needle and cartridge, it will fix the problem. Any suggestions on a good cartridge and needle? I also think I am going to upgrade from just plugging into the back of a Sony 3 Disc Changer's inputs to an actual receiver. Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive one? Say, between $100-150... Thank you all so much for your help.
missthedudeman

Postby lini » 09 Feb 2011 17:51

mtdm: The SL-QD33 was a pretty nice, little direct drive model. Seeing that you're in the US, your best inexpensive cartridge choice probably would be the Audio Technica AT92E(CD), which you should be able to find for ca. 25 bucks.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
long player
long player

Germany

Postby analogaudio » 10 Feb 2011 00:49

If you are in the USA there are two Yamaha receivers that have phono input, one is straight stereo with no frills, the other has an IPod facility, both are deeply discounted at dealers

Yamaha RX397 is the basic model

Yamaha R-S300 has the Ipod interface option and subwoofer output.

both have enough power for small to medium size speakers and include remote control, nice to have.

Ted
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms