the home of the turntable

Turntable diagnosis needed...

snap, crackle and pop

Turntable diagnosis needed...

Postby sblarkin82 » 03 Feb 2011 11:32

Hi,

This is my first post so apologies if it is in the wrong forum and if I sound a little clueless, I’m new to the world of record players.

I was recently given a Sherwood PM-8550 turntable which appears to be in great nick. I have hooked it up to my amp, phono sockets in place and ground wire to the GND screw. The turntable seems to be working fine and when I play a record I can hear the track very faintly from the stylus but nothing through my speakers. I have downloaded a copy of the manual for the turntable and have set everything up (what looks to be) correctly. Is this likely to be a problem with the connecting wires or the turntable itself? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Sean.
sblarkin82

Postby kelvinMunson » 03 Feb 2011 11:54

Hi,

What cartridge do you have fitted and does yor amplifier have an Phono input with suitable gain and RIAA equalisation ?

If it's a modern amplifier it may only have line level inputs (Aux, CD, Tuner etc) and my not have the required sensitivity for a phono cartridge; in which case you will need a suitable pre-amplifier.

Alternatively it could be that you don't have the wires on your cartridge connected in the correct sequence; have you changed them since it was last used and working ?

kelvin
kelvinMunson
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby bubba45 » 03 Feb 2011 11:57

Could be one of a number of things:

1. is there definitely a stylus on the cantilever of the cartridge?

2. is the cartridghe itself still working?

3. Could be the wires inside the arm / TT have snapped / become loose.

Did the person who gave you the TT have it working before?

With the amp what make, model & age is it? Have you or anyone else ever plugged a TT into it before?

I know some amps have sockets for a phono connection but don't have the phono stage circuitry actually installed unless you ask for it.

E.g. Cambridge Audio amps have the sockets but you have to pay an extra £20 or so for the circuit to be installed.

Without it you get little or no sound at all from a TT.
bubba45
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby sblarkin82 » 03 Feb 2011 13:56

Thanks for the replies.

The amp is a Technics SU-X502 and is what's left of a separates system that did have a turntable. I presumed this would be ok for connecting a different turntable to it.

Regarding the cartridge and stylus, there is definetly a stylus but is there a way of telling whether that or the cartridge need replacing? The wires on the cartridge are connected and I haven't changed them since it was last used.

The connecting wires from the TT do appear a little loose. If the problem is the loose wiring, is it worth getting somebody to repair it or should I begin to look for a new TT, considering this one didn't cost me anything?

Thanks again, Sean.
sblarkin82

Postby kelvinMunson » 03 Feb 2011 14:16

Hello Sean

I wouldn't rush into buying a new TT just yet, the hanbdbook for your Sherwood PM-8550 is in the library..........

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sher ... 8550.shtml

I have checked out your Technics SU-X502 amplifier on HFE and it is certainly designed for use with a MM cartridge.

Best would be to first simply to check that you have good electrical continuity at all your connections (hopefully you have access to a test meter ?); particularly you should ensure that the phono plugs are a good fit..... and that the outer contacts are not loose.
kelvinMunson
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby kelvinMunson » 03 Feb 2011 14:21

Hi Sean

In case you need it; the manual for your amplifier is here.............

http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/techn ... x502.shtml

You may need to register with HFE to access it :D
kelvinMunson
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby sblarkin82 » 07 Feb 2011 11:18

Thanks for your help Kelvin, I've registered with HFE. The phono plugs seem to fit fine, think I'll treat myself to a test meter though.

Sean
sblarkin82

Return to Turntables and Tonearms