the home of the turntable

VPI TNT Super Platter On a VPI HW-19 Mk 2 or Mk 3

made in usa

VPI TNT Super Platter On a VPI HW-19 Mk 2 or Mk 3

Postby rbwinterlink » 02 Feb 2011 23:51

Good evening everyone,

I have a VPI HW-19 Mk2 turntable. I just purchased a VPI TNT super platter as an upgrade path. The original platter weighed 8.8 pounds. The TNT acrylic platter weighs a little more. My concern has to do with whether the original motor can drive this added weight. This super platter was used on a VPI Mk 3. so am I assuming correctly that the same motor was used on the Mk 2 as well as the Mk 3? If that is the case I should not have a problem.

My one other concern is where to obtain the rubber washer that goes directy on the platter under the record. I plan to use a VPI record screw down clamp. Presently, I don't have this rubber washer. Is it possible to order it or can I pick one up from Home Depot? What is the correct size I should be looking for?

As soon as I get my SME tone arm back from Canada and my Magnapan speakers from Peter Gunn I plan to set up the system and take some photos. I hope to post a few here. Thanks all for your help. Thanks again for all comments.

bob
rbwinterlink

Postby sturgus » 04 Feb 2011 04:19

Sounds like you are almost ready for the big party. I hope everything goes together smoothly. As far as the motor goes it should work just fine. I have a TNT platter on my HW19 and have no problems at all. I don't know the exact size of the washer but if you contact this site they can help you. What will the rest of your system consist of? Would love to see pics.
Sturgus
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/washers.htm
sturgus

United States of America

TNT SUPER PLATTER ON A VPI HW-19 Mk 2 turntable

Postby rbwinterlink » 04 Feb 2011 04:47

Hello Sturgus,

Thank you for getting back to me. I am very pleased that you can vouch for the fact the TNT super platter works on my turntable. I do plan to post photos as soon as I get my Maggies back from Peter Gunn in PA. This will ba a very unusual pair of speakers in design. I will post components in my entire system. Thanks for the link which I will go to right now.

bob
rbwinterlink

Postby Tedrick » 07 Feb 2011 00:22

Yes, it will work just fine. All models of the HW-19 use the same high-torque motors that mate well with a wide variety of platters. Since the TNT Superplatter is so much heavier, you'll for sure want to use the TNT's bearing assembly.

One thing to consider, however, is does your Superplatter accept the periphery ring clamp. If yes, it's a different diameter than the Mk 2/3 platter, and you'll need to get a different drive pulley from VPI to get the right platter speed (unless you use an SDS).

A word of advice, and if you have not already done so...to take your 'table to an even higher level of performance, upgrade to the stand alone motor assembly (SAMA). This upgrade takes the motor off the frame and eliminates any possible way for motor vibration to get into the plinth, bearing, or tonearm. Doing that upgrade will essentially take your 'table to a Mk IV-Improved level.

RE: the rubber washer, yes, you want to use one. Size is 1/8" (3.2mm) thick; 7mm ID; 1.25" OD. You can get them from VPI. I highly recommend the Grungebuster washer from Herbie's Audio Lab. Check near the bottom of the page here: http://herbiesaudiolab.net/washers.htm.

Good luck with the upgrade.
Tedrick
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Return to VPi Industries