the home of the turntable

SP10 MK2 vs SL1200

turning japanese

SP10 MK2 vs SL1200

Postby c3conv » 13 Jan 2005 15:43

Just wondering these two TT are very precise in turning th platter that is practically very constant in speed. With the same high end tonearm would these two sound almost the same? What are the factors that will make these two sound different?
c3conv

Postby Ron-C » 24 Feb 2005 16:46

I have both tables but not the same tone arm on both. My SP10MKII has a 10" M2 SME and the 1200 the stock arm. Using the Shure MXR V on both the SP 10 had better bass extension and sounded more open and dynamic.
I have since installed the KAB dampener and outboard power supply on the 1200 and now it is very close. Just as adding the tone arm dampener was a big improvement on the 1200 as the installation of the SME dampener on the M2 SME also improves that arm.
Conclusion, the KAB modded 1200 is very close and a big value for the money.

Ron-C
Ron-C

Postby cgb » 28 Feb 2005 06:02

I would say SL-1200 Mk2 is the poor man's SP-10 - if you want constant speed and high torque in a well insulated plinth, the SL-1200 is sufficient for decent record playback.
If you want to combine this with a tonearm of your choice & by this radically improve the sound, why not go for a used SL-150 Mk2.
These (and even the SL-120 Mk2) were delivered without tonearm.
Technics even provided blank & pre-drilled armboards for various arms.
(You can make them yourself). Even with the "armed" SL-1200 Mk2 to SL-1500 Mk2 it is not too difficult to unmount the arm and install a new one.
These models all feature the same drive system as the SL-1200 Mk2, but they are much cheaper and most often in a better condition - being the living room version. Slightly less insulated, but still very good.

With a SP-10 Mk2 being only a motor unit, you have to build your own plinth. When that sounds good, then the SP-10 Mk2 is as good as it can get.
The speed accuracy and the torque are much higher than with the SL's of course.

Depends on your budget and the amount of time you want to spend with getting ready to play records.

Best,

cgb
cgb

Germany

Postby Ron-C » 28 Feb 2005 18:00

The SL150 and SL120 are very rare in the US. We did have a lot of the SP25 and SP15 motor assemblies sold for broadcast DJ use and they both use the same motor assembly as the SL1200 Mk II.
The arm and arm board of the SL1200 II can be removed to mount a custom arm. The stock arm is very good when used with the KAB damper and retains the on the fly height adjustment for setting VTA. The molded, heavy base of the MKII is very good and I prefer it to the Technics base used on the SP15 and SP25. If you have not used the MKII arm with the dampener I would withhold your judgment. It is very good compared to my other tables that use a SME3012 (SP15), SME M2-10 (SP10- MKII), SAEC WE-308 (SP10 MKII), and a QL-10 JVC.
The original question was more about the motor and yes the 1200 MKII does have the same -78 DB noise spec as the SP10 although the mass of the platter is smaller as is the motor when compared to the SP10 series. All of these will plainly reveal the rumble of the cutting lathe the record was made on.
Ron-C
Ron-C

Postby cgb » 28 Feb 2005 19:20

Hi,

The SL150 and SL120 are very rare in the US. We did have a lot of the SP25 and SP15 motor assemblies sold for broadcast DJ use

maybe that the SP-15/25 are much more common in the US and you can get them for a low price. Though most of them that show up on ebay look really scruffy & abused. Here in Europe they are much rarer and really expensive.
and they both use the same motor assembly as the SL1200 Mk II.

This is only partly true: the SP-25 does use the same motor assy, but the SP-15 does not. Different electronics, different motor, different specs.
The stock arm is very good when used with the KAB damper and retains the on the fly height adjustment for setting VTA. The molded, heavy base of the MKII is very good and I prefer it to the Technics base used on the SP15 and SP25. If you have not used the MKII arm with the dampener I would withhold your judgment.

I know the stock arm only without damping, and I didn't say it was no good - i said it's reasonable. Fact is, it works much better with a high compliance HiFi cart than with a hard DJ-cart due to it relatively low effective mass. Guess with the damping it improves on DJ-carts too.
The original question was more about the motor and yes the 1200 MKII does have the same -78 DB noise spec as the SP10 although the mass of the platter is smaller as is the motor when compared to the SP10 series.

It's not only the size. it's the speed accuracy and the torque that makes the SP-10 Mk2 by far superior to the SL-1200 Mk2. That said, I rate the SL-1200 Mk2 as one of the best decks ever made, especially regarding it's price.
All of these will plainly reveal the rumble of the cutting lathe the record was made on.

Well, hm, not on the records we cut, because our lathes are driven: YES - by Technics motors. The legendary SP-02 disk cutting lathe drive unit!
Compared to that the SP-10 Mk2 looks like a toy, specs are incredible. No wonder, the platter it has to drive weighs approx. 40 kg.

Best,

cgb
cgb

Germany

Technics SP10MKII and SL1200MKII

Postby herringboy47 » 08 Mar 2005 07:20

Well I am going to brag here and say I just picked up 2 sp10's used with power supply and a 1200MKII never used in a box for no cost!

Also with them were a couple of tone arms (5 actually) that were mounted in a radio studio. Ihave no idea what these are and will post pics soon to help with identification.

My questions are about the plinths for SP10's and tone arms.
What is suitable or the best match for these. They run so well I am amazed at the smoothness. also didn't Technics make a plinth for them?

The SL1200MKII - what is a good cartrdige for this (it is missing a headshell)

I have a Thorens TD150 and an SL120 both with sme3009's and have a spare sme3009 as well.

The SL120 is good but there is no noise coming from the SP10 at all.
Anyway I landed on my feet with this lot I just don't know waht to do with it all?
Cheers
Carl
herringboy47

Australia

Postby cgb » 09 Mar 2005 03:15

Hi,

Anyway I landed on my feet with this lot I just don't know waht to do with it all?

Just shove it over to me :)

Many radiostation SP-10s were equipped with Audio Technica Arms, mostly model ATP-12T, which is rather good.
It has no anti-skating device, at the usual broadcast VTA of more than 3 grams they didn't find it neccessary.

I am also just in the final stages of laying-out and then soon actually build a very heavy plinth for the SP-10 to accommodate two arms.

Best,

cgb
cgb

Germany

Postby herringboy47 » 18 Mar 2005 04:16

Well I just bought 2 more SP10's for $100au each and the tone arms I have are 2 x EMT929's no headshells as yet (for picture see http://www.stefanopasini.it/EMT%20929-standard.htm) and some Australian made Syntec s220 tone arms.

The next task is to make plinths and arm boards up.

Any chance of a copy of your plinth design for 2 arms??
happy tweaking
Carl 8) [/quote]
herringboy47

Australia

Return to Technics