the home of the turntable

Systemdek/Mission 774/EEI700 Set Up

snap, crackle and pop

Systemdek/Mission 774/EEI700 Set Up

Postby kiwijet » 26 Jan 2011 07:49

I hope you're not thinking, "not another thread asking the same old thing".
Well maybe but I've been trolling through the threads and there is probably too much information for a newbie that has just scored an original Systemdek with an original 774 arm fitted with an EEI700 MM cartridge. I'm pretty excited as it's been decades since I last had an audiophile TT, but this TT has been in storage awhile and not sure how this 774 should be set up with this combination...so here's my initial questions:

1: Trough is empty and has only what looks like the thin paddle. What oil for this combo (30?)and do I need a different paddle or no paddle? How do you change the paddle?

2: Bias weights - have read the Mission instructions but am confused by the measurements for the one or two weights. Any simple explanation? When arm is at rest, the weights just rest on the deck surface - is this correct?

3. Oiling the main bearing on the Systemdek. Heard it's a 90 weight gear oil, but do you just remove the platter and put a bit down the centre part?

Any help greatly appreciated.
kiwijet

Postby SteveM » 26 Jan 2011 11:02

Welcome to VE!

Can't help you much with the arm but....

2. That doesn't sound right at all. 2 possibilities come to mind (my S'dek is in storage); most likely the TT suspension isn't adjusted properly (level and/or height) or less likely the arm is mounted too low (the arm should be level, or parallel to the record, when playing a record).

3. Remove platter, belt & sub-platter. Clean shaft, ball bearing and well with solvent and dry thoroughly. Inspect ball & replace if pitted/scored. IIRC there might be a plate under the ball as well, if it is dented flip it over or replace.
SteveM
contributor

Canada

Postby Rob998 » 26 Jan 2011 11:07

Can only answer #3. Yes, it's 90W and 0.5ml of it according to the instruction card, although while searching the interweb I've seen the figure 0.8ml bandied about. Follow SteveMs instructions and put the correct amount in. I had a 5ml syringe that came with some kids medicine to do that. I bought the oil from a local motor spares place. 1 litre of generic 90w Gear Oil cost about £3.50, and I now have about 5 lifetimes supply.... :roll:
Rob998
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby abril » 26 Jan 2011 16:50

Hi and welcome

The Mission 774

1: Trough is empty and has only what looks like the thin paddle. What oil for this combo (30?)and do I need a different paddle or no paddle? How do you change the paddle?

You need silicone diff oil for RC cars (that's the easiest place to get it from,really heavy gloopy stuff) but don't worry about it at the moment - just make sure it works OK

You can see the fixing grub screw buried in the hole to the left of the paddle in this pic

Bias weights - have read the Mission instructions but am confused by the measurements for the one or two weights. Any simple explanation? When arm is at rest, the weights just rest on the deck surface - is this correct?

For instance if you have 2g downforce set if you have one bias weight it should be 43mm from pivot if two weights they should be 22mm from pivot.
Take the left pair of columns for 1 weight
and the right pair of columns for 2 weights

sorry don't know the cartridge
and yes the bias stub does usually just rest on the TT top surface when the arm is at rest,but be sure the 'fishing line' goes around both guide vees properly.

Excellent TT and arm you have there.
abril
long player
long player
contributor

Postby kiwijet » 27 Jan 2011 10:53

Thanks very much for all your help. I'll give the unit a good look over on the weekend. All going well I'll hook it up the the other components, the NAD 3020 amp and Mission 700 speakers. Components have been in the family since new, which is going back a long way now!
kiwijet

Postby Rob998 » 27 Jan 2011 13:22

The NAD 3020 is a nice bit of kit. My brother has one that he's had for at least 20 years and it's had more or less daily use in that time, still going strong. He's also got some Mission 700 series floorstanders (702e's?), and they are still doing the business too.

My Systemdek/Roksan Tabriz zi combo has been a revelation to me, coming from a cheap fully auto Marantz deck. The only upgrades I'll be making to it are progressively better cartridges.
Rob998
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby rhmbus » 28 Jan 2011 10:43

i use a Mission 774 with EEI800 and it works a treat for me. damping is a trial and error art and can be frustrating but well worth the effort.
ray
cd !the curse of the listening classes
(thanks MR N Rockwell)
rhmbus
contributor

Great Britain

Postby kiwijet » 29 Jan 2011 10:19

I believe it's no longer possible to buy a genuine replacement stylus for the EEI 700. If this is true it's a shame to to have to replace the cartridge. After there any other aftermarket replacements - if not is there a reasonably priced cartridge that anyone recommends?
kiwijet

Postby rhmbus » 29 Jan 2011 11:00

sontra/excel and eei all the same cartridge try mantra audio or musonic for styli or carts
ray
(thanks MR N Rockwell)
rhmbus
contributor

Great Britain

Postby kiwijet » 29 Jan 2011 11:43

Thanks for the info!

Mantra Audio show this:

"Elite EEI 500 Stylus Ref 618E
Replacement Diamond Extended Elliptical Stylus Ref 618 suitable for Elite EEI 500/700 Cartridge".

This was about £22 UK but the original EEI 700 was a parabolic stylus and wondered what the difference in performance would be if any.

Is "extended elliptical" the same as parabolic which
sounds cheap compared to Musonic at £240.00 for the following!

"EEI: 700+GUARD BLACK ORIGINAL NUDE SHIBATA STYLUS
Replacement original nude parabolic stereo/mono stylus".

£22 sounds way better than £240.00 unless there's an overwhelming reason to go the dearer route?
kiwijet

Postby rhmbus » 29 Jan 2011 13:25

i have used the mantra offering in my 800 and it gives a good idea of what the cartridge is capable of. search musonic for excel
all the best ray
(thanks MR N Rockwell)
rhmbus
contributor

Great Britain

Postby kiwijet » 29 Jan 2011 21:46

Rhmbus,

I had a look at the excel range they offered but couldn't tell which one was the equivalent to the EEI-700.

Cheers for you help.
kiwijet

Return to Turntables and Tonearms