Pre mixed or DIY record cleaning fluid?

how clean is your house
NeilTheDruid

Pre mixed or DIY record cleaning fluid?

Post by NeilTheDruid » 27 Jan 2011 21:30

Hi guys,

I need some advice about cleaning fluid for my RCM. I was wondering is it cheaper to buy pre mixed fluid from a supplier (like I have been doing for around £18 per litre) or to make my own? Also, what would your "recipe" suggestions be for DIY cleaning fluid?

Cheers :D

Bebé Tonto

Post by Bebé Tonto » 28 Jan 2011 02:34

DIY.

Lots of DIY cleaning solutions in this forum. Use the search.

Ron M

Lots of good feedback on

Post by Ron M » 28 Jan 2011 04:34

Hey there, I bought L'Art du Son cleaning fluid based on numerous articles and feedback from others. I'm not sure of whats in it but no alcohol. The cost was $45 us dollars that makes 1 gallon. I would make 1 quart or 32 ounces at a time and that is suppose to clean like 100 records or just measure a smaller amount and use as needed. So I guess that costs about 12cents per Lp. I guess if you can figure out how to make the same quality yourself you'd save quite a bit. Let us all know if you do. Good luck

cheers
Ron

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 28 Jan 2011 04:46

Distilled water, 80%
Isopropyl alcohol, 20%
Photo-flo, 1%

Rinse, distilled water.

Proportions are non-critical.

Cheers,
Alec

Whitneyville
long player
long player

Post by Whitneyville » 29 Jan 2011 05:24

Alec, between time zone differences and me "working" part time Thurs,Fri,Sat, you take "thu wurd's rat outta ma' mouth"! I sure would like to analyze L'Art du Son with a mass spectrometer and gas chromatagraph, and find out it's "Magic ingredients". I know it can be "brewed" for less than $45 to make a gallon. Way, way too many of the first mono "Hi-Fi" guys used window cleaner on their LP's for over half a century, and some I've snagged at estate sales sound better than recent $25+ pressings. Funny most of those people had Zenith and Magnavox consoles or top-end Garrard, Elac TT's and MacIntosh mono 35watt tube amps (talking early 50's here) and I have a Gogi Grant (Columbia's answer to Patti Page) mono older than me, that sound great after 60 years of glass cleaner and a raw silk cloth. I'll entertain the idea that they may have produced better quality LP's back then. I know during the 70's production volume beat quality everyday.

NeilTheDruid

Post by NeilTheDruid » 07 Feb 2011 22:21

Righty. I'm going with the 80% distilled water, 20% isopropyl alcohol. My next question is what sort of percentage alcohol should I get? I was looking at this stuff. Would this be ok or would it melt my records? :)

PatP

Post by PatP » 07 Feb 2011 23:14

That's the stuff, but remember to rinse with just water straight after.

tommy6206

Post by tommy6206 » 07 Feb 2011 23:33

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 08 Feb 2011 02:52

I really don't think it makes much difference if you use 99%, 91%, or 70% isopropyl alcohol, just as long as you avoid "rubbing compound."
Frankly, I don't measure it, I just pour some into the container, eyeballing about a fifth of the volume, top up with distilled water, and put in some Photo-Flo, which I do measure, roughly.
The effectiveness is in the using of it, not in the precise proportions.

Cheers,
Alec

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 08 Feb 2011 07:35

NeilTheDruid wrote:Righty. I'm going with the 80% distilled water, 20% isopropyl alcohol. My next question is what sort of percentage alcohol should I get? I was looking at this stuff. Would this be ok or would it melt my records? :)

99% pure Isopropyl alchohol is usually recommended for cleaning records, many of the cleaning machine's manufacturers' cleaning fluids contain drying ingredients that leave a sticky residue, a well placed electric fan does the drying job well enough .

I usually use a two thirds water / one third alchohol mix for most cleaning, but have a 50/50 mix put by for really dirty discs which are rinsed off after cleaning, the alchohol really gets into the grooves.

As an experiment last year i cleaned a particularly dirty record with neat isopropyl alchohol (outside may i add...) , luckily it came out looking like new, i checked it yesterday and no apparent ill effects, plays fine, but would not recommend it for normal cleaning :roll:

kelvinMunson
long player
long player

Post by kelvinMunson » 08 Feb 2011 08:32

Biostain are probably the cheapest source in UK for 99.9% isoprop, including delivery; they sell through ebay and will deliver in whatever qty you prefer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

NeilTheDruid

Post by NeilTheDruid » 08 Feb 2011 23:24

Thanks for the advice guys. I was looking to make up around 5 liters of solution, so my method is going to be: buy a 5 litre bottle of distilled water and a 1 litre bottle of isopropyl alcohol, pour out 1 litre of the distilled water into my currently empty 1 litre cleaning fluid bottle and then just dump the isopropyl into the distilled water bottle. POW!

Any other recommendations for detergent? Here in the UK I can't get photo-flo, which seems to be the popular choice in the forum.

ezg60_AU

DIY Cleaning Fluid

Post by ezg60_AU » 09 Feb 2011 03:35

There are a few different versions but basic formula seems to be

70% Technical Grade Iospropyl Alcohol 99% pure
30% Distilled Water, 99% Pure

1-2 Drops of a Surfactant to act as a wetting agent, yeh yeh what is a surfactant? seems like there is a lot, try the Rinse Aid for your dishwasher
but only a couple of drops.

Put in a 4oz bottle.

Rinse with Distilled Water, Air Dry

I came across one formula that said use a couple of drops of Cascade Rinse Aid, so tongue in cheek, any Dishwasher Rinse Aid, a couple of drops. The real recommendation was to use a Surfactant called Triton X-114 or Monolan 2000. Go to chemical Outlet to get that I guess, too hard, try the rinse aid from the local Supermarket, in the meantime or buy the good stuff.

Put in a 4oz bottle.

nabil

Post by nabil » 09 Feb 2011 14:49

ezg60_AU, I think you have the percentages switched: most recommend a mix of 20% to 30% of 91% isopropyl alcohol (or 99% isopropyl if you can get it) with distilled water. Personally, I'm using a mix of 30% of 91% isopropyl 70% distilled water and one drop of Triton-114.

brianmch

Post by brianmch » 17 Feb 2011 14:12

Why is distilled water recommended over "clean" water, RO or something?

Distilled water is re-condensed boiled water that retains all impurities (TDS, chems, etc). RO/water has all the impurities removed through various multi-filtration processes. Wouldn't that be better as there is less junk in it?

(I just scored a great VPI 16.5 RCM and am SOOO stoked! YAY!!)