the home of the turntable

Sony 2251 runs too fast

make believe

Sony 2251 runs too fast

Postby duficity » 24 Dec 2010 01:23

My Sony 2251 direct drive table started running way too fast all of a sudden. I am talking about twice the speed it should. Is there some simple fix, like a resistor or something similar that I should be looking for. I really like the table and would hate to scrap it over something fairly simple.
duficity
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby crofk » 24 Dec 2010 21:41

Although I haven't seen a schematic for the 2250, I have a 4750 which started running to fast (held the platter from turning). I had burned out a transistor which regulates the speed. As I recall it was very easy to replace and very acessable (had to be if I did it).

If this happened all at once (or someone held the platter still) I would sure look into it. I ordered the transistor from Mouser Electronics, they were really cheap (shipping cost more than it did).

Anyways something to look into.

kc
"Extinct and lovin' it"
crofk
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby crofk » 25 Dec 2010 13:16

I got to thinking.... if this has occured over time, you may need to only clean your speed adjustment pots. There are the ones that you use that show on the deck (fine speed controls) and then there is another set underneath the deck (rough range control). If you turn the deck over you can see them(careful doing this). Get some Deoxit and clean them uup and that may cure it.

kc
"Extinct and lovin' it"
crofk
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby duficity » 25 Dec 2010 22:59

It happened overnight, so I would bet on it being a transistor or resistor. Do you know which one?
duficity
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby crofk » 28 Dec 2010 13:23

Well, on mine, it was the one that is inline on the motor power line. It set out (off the pc board) in the open in the motor harness.

Check in your schematic to be sure. If you don't have one there should surely be one online somewhere.

kc
"Extinct and lovin' it"
crofk
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Return to Sony