the home of the turntable

What Stylus is on this Pickering XV-15?

the thin end of the wedge

What Stylus is on this Pickering XV-15?

Postby ChadHahn » 25 Aug 2010 19:39

I have this old XV-15 that I pulled out of a box. I can't find a number on the stylus and it doesn't look like any of the photos I can find. Does anyone know what it is? Is it a Pickering stylus or aftermarket?

Thanks,

Chad
ChadHahn

Postby ChadHahn » 25 Aug 2010 20:31

I decided to replace the D350 that came with the xv-15/625e cartridge that was on the Thorens TD145 that I recently bought with this stylus.

I am very impressed. I was pleased with the sound I was getting from Thorens before but now everything is more. Things seem louder with more bass than they did before.

I have the tracking and the anti-skate both set at 2 grams.

Chad
ChadHahn

Postby fscl » 25 Aug 2010 23:02

ChadHahn wrote:I decided to replace the D350 that came with the xv-15/625e cartridge that was on the Thorens TD145 that I recently bought with this stylus.

I am very impressed. I was pleased with the sound I was getting from Thorens before but now everything is more. Things seem louder with more bass than they did before.

I have the tracking and the anti-skate both set at 2 grams.

Chad

That's with the Dustmatic Brush, correct?

Instructions are here in the VE library:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pick ... v-15.shtml

See pages 2 and 3 for recommended tracking weight and setting the VTF with brush.

Good luck.

Fred also enjoying the heck out of my XV-15 / 625E and hesitating throwing the Grado in for a spin......and wondering if those stickers were lifted and stuck on the cartridge in the pictures above as it does not look anything like an XV-15..... :shock:
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....WFUV Fan.
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Whitneyville » 25 Aug 2010 23:08

Chad, that appears to be an aftermarket stylus. The color is wrong and the design of the brush pivot for OEM Pickering XV-15's. It might be an SAS or other brand (and could be a good stylus for that matter), but it appears to be rather old. I think it's a re-pop conical, and the Stanton stylus should be a big improvement. My Pickering XV-15 with an aftermarket .4 x .7 ellipitical is a "Rock-and Roll" cartridge; great bass and "bright" on the top on a Dual 1226 automatic TT. I like the combo for CCR, Heart, The Eagles, Queen, Hank Williams Sr. and lots more.
Ricky-Pooh
Whitneyville
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby ChadHahn » 26 Aug 2010 00:18

Thanks for the replies. Yes the cartridge and I imagine the stylus are both old But it is a Pickering. Here is a picture of a similar one from Flickr
Flickr XV-15

After doing lots of searching I have to agree that it is probably an aftermarket stylus. Since I can't find any markings on it it will probably be hard to track it down.

Chad
ChadHahn

Postby sreten » 26 Aug 2010 23:17

ChadHahn wrote:I have the tracking and the anti-skate both set at 2 grams.
Chad

Hi,

That is one of the chunkiest cantilevers I've ever seen.
No way IMO is around 2g right, I'd say 3g to 5g.

If you want to look after your records :
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=29885
Should be superior it all respects and it will track well at 2g.
A good cartridge for heavyish arms at a very silly price.

rgds, sreten.
sreten

Postby stpa » 27 Aug 2010 05:40

It seems seems to be a V-15 stylus with a DIY brush!

See, I said V-15, not XV-15.

In the pictures, the plastic handler is clearly wider than the XV-15 cartridge body, where it fits on the cart; it seems to fit on a wider cart like the V-15.

The original and also the non-Pickering replacement styli has the brush assembly made of a metal foil, not a wire as in the pictures. It is mounted by small protrusions that fit in small lateral bushings on the plastic handler; not in a perforation that crosses all the plastic handler.
stpa
contributor

Postby ChadHahn » 27 Aug 2010 06:56

I'm not sure that the brush is DIY. It curves nicely to allow it to swivel over the plastic tube. It sure doesn't look home made.

Chad
ChadHahn

Postby stpa » 29 Aug 2010 05:52

Yes, it may not be a DIY, but it is definitively anything else rather than a Pickering stylus and even a Pfanstiehl, Jico and other traditional manufacturers. Also, DIY does not necessarily mean crudely made.

You can see by yourself the thing in the Pickering brush patent here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=15515

And how it should looks like at those on-line shops with pictures, as turntableneedles.com or garage-a-records.com
stpa
contributor

Return to Cartridges and Preamps