the home of the turntable

Handed Down Garrard A70

the jewel in the crown

Handed down Garrard A70

Postby pcglaw » 21 Aug 2010 14:27

Hi. my father gave me a garrard turntable (A70) along with a Sherwood Amp and amplifier. Unfortunately, the turntable would not turn and the Sherwood amplifier only gets a few radio stations. Also unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined. Does anyone know anyone in the New Jersey area that would be able to repair these items and if so, about how much should I be expected to pay? (when I run my finger over the needle it does make sound, but the turntable wont turn unless I push it. Is it worth trying to fix these things? Your advice please. Thanks.
pcglaw

Postby Alec124c41 » 22 Aug 2010 02:47

The turntable needs cleaning and lubrication, and the receiver needs a piece of wire attached to the terminal on the back, marked FM Antenna.
Is this yours? Service manual here:
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/garr ... l-70.shtml

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Garrard A70 turntable

Postby pcglaw » 22 Aug 2010 03:26

thanks for your reply but the link for the service manual does not seem to work. When I try to open the pdf in an open window, I get this:

System Message

Empty referer - no referring page. That means the file has been called directly or you are using software that prevents passing the HTTP referer (browser, firewall, proxy server).

If you are using 3rd party firewall (ie Norton Internet Security) or download manager please disable these and try the link again. For further information please check the download FAQ in the forum.

Anyway, I thought it might need a new belt, but when I tried to get the plastic piece (the "turntable mat") off of the turntable it broke in several pieces. does the service manual download for you or is the link broken? Do you know where I can get a new turntable mat? thanks
pcglaw

Postby Alec124c41 » 22 Aug 2010 03:37

Try again. The link works for me, and I downloaded the service manual.
This nor a belt-drive deck. It is idler driven.
To remove the platter, you will have to undo the clip in the center of the top of the platter.
You can replace the mat with a circle of cork.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Garrard A70 turntable

Postby pcglaw » 22 Aug 2010 04:08

Thanks Alec. I had to change my browser and turn off my Norton to get it to work, but I downloaded it. I am going to see if I can get the turntable to work again. You wouldn't know anyone in NJ who can help, would you?
pcglaw

A70

Postby Shackhead » 06 Feb 2011 16:49

I have a restored A70 and love it. I know someone in the Toms River Area who works on them. Very good service.
Shackhead

Toms River repairer

Postby pcglaw » 06 Feb 2011 18:54

can you supply me with the name address and phone number of the guy in Toms River? Do you know how much he would charge? Please email me at pcglaw@msn.com. Thanks
pcglaw

Postby GP49 » 04 Jun 2011 08:12

Kind of late now, but that link is for the wrong Garrard model. It's for the Model 70, which was the upgraded version of their 1970s low-priced record changer chassis.

The TYPE A70 was the upgraded Type A and was a much superior unit. Unfortunately Vinyl Engine does not have a service manual for the Type A or Type A70 (or the identical, two-years newer 70 Mk II) in the library. In fact they don't have the owner's manual for the Type A70/70 Mk II. Maybe I should scan mine and send it to them!

At their age, most Type A70s don't work well any more because the rubber on the idler has aged and has lost its grippiness; and the lube grease in their mechanisms has dried out and hardened. On the worst of them the main cycling gear has frozen onto its shaft. Extensive disassembly is needed to get the gear off the shaft so that dried out grease can be washed out. Cleaning and lubrication of pretty much the entire mechanism gets done during this disassembly. The idler drive linkages get stiff or frozen due to dried out grease, too. Also the motor probably needs at least a relubrication by now. It seems like a lot of work (and it is) but anything mechanical needs this kind of service after all this time...the Type A70 was sold in 1964-1966, so they have been out there a LONG time.

Once you're all done and it's working as designed, you will have a very nice record changer...if you do wish to stack records, its changer mechanism is the gentlest ever made. I have a Garrard Type A70 in my bedroom system (and a Garrard 301 in the main system) and I like mine, very much. Right now, I've even got another one on the kitchen table being reconditioned...and yes, it does have the main cycling gear frozen to its shaft!
GP49
banned

Return to Garrard