the home of the turntable

Sony PS-Q7 - fixer-upper help

make believe

Sony PS-Q7 - fixer-upper help

Postby Malemocynt » 18 Jul 2010 00:22

So during my sojourn to the thrift stores along my afternoon commute, I stumbled upon a rather derelict-looking PS-Q7 (automatic, direct drive) amongst the electronics of one Goodwill. Though it was missing its cartridge, it seemed like a fun way to try and bring this little thing up to running, so I bought it.

After cleaning it up, there are three strikes for why it isn't working properly.

1) Obviously, it is missing the cartridge. And this one, the VL-43G (and others in the PS-Q line), is only suited for the tonearm of this turntable, so sticking another P-Mount into it won't work as it won't fit.

2) While the unit does power on and the drive seems to be spinning properly, I wasn't for some reason able to stop it from spinning without actually having to turn the power off.

3) The tonearm doesn't appear to be cueing up correctly to it's assigned positions for 12 and 7 inch records. It also doesn't appear to lower or raise when it does reach a "position" to play with. I'm not sure if that is conditional with the cartridge weight to make it work or not.

I checked the library here and don't see a manual for the PS-Q7 or its similar makes, though I see radiomuseum.org has a schematic and manual on their page for the PS-Q7, but it seems only be accessible to members.

Does anyone know where I could get the VL-43G cartridge (or equivalent), or if anyone has one just sitting around with no turntable?

As for the tonearm, since I'm not the most saavy when it comes to the innards of a machine, it is possible somewhere in that part of the unit there may be some issues, perhaps an old belt or needed lubrication.

Will probably take photos to better illustrate the situation.

Also, when I took off the plastic housing from the base, there was a dry bee carcass inside. So that shows you how well maintained this turntable was!
Malemocynt

Postby Guest » 19 Jul 2010 03:26

Hi,

I've never come across the concept of another P-mount won't fit.
That they all fit is the point of P-mounters, or its not a P-mount.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchan ... ode=STPSQ7

Looks like an Audio Technica to me, but nothing like below :

If P-mounters fit a $25 AT92E from fleabay seems a far better bet.

Try consulting the local cartridge details guru "lini".

Other than making sure all automatic functions are reset to
their default positions I cannot help with your other issues.
/Sreten

Postby flavio81 » 19 Jul 2010 03:45

No, it is NOT a p-mount. P-mount cartridges will NOT fit.

As mentioned, this is a VL-43G which is an Audio-Technica cart, branded as Sony. And as far as i know only the s'ecific needle will fit.
flavio81
long player
long player
contributor

Postby Malemocynt » 19 Jul 2010 07:20

Yeah, from what I've been reading, this turntable and others like it (PS-Q3, and PS-Q5), only have the VL-43G, which is a custom-fit cartridge.

Does it come under any other name, since it was manufactured by Audio Technica?

I noticed in the Library there is a nearly similar cartridge called the VL-43GS which takes the same stylus as the VL-43G, but is that cartridge build the same or is it different since it is made for the PS-LX330, a standard pivot-arm turntable?

It seems strange, but apparently it is common for these turntables to come up with the cartridge missing. Not sure why that is though.
Malemocynt

Postby Beobloke » 19 Jul 2010 13:01

The issue with the deck not switching off and the arm not moving are common ones and they are both down to the belt that drives the arm mechanism stretching.

Unfortunately, this belt is TINY! I do not know of anywhere that sells replacements and in the end, for my PS-Q3, I had to resort to using a 13mm O-ring which just squeezed in the gap. A 12mm one was a better fit but as it was snug and had little give in it, the equally tiny motor would not turn it. The 13mm seems loose but, 4 months later, the PS-Q3 is still working!

I also have a PS-Q7 and this needs similar attention, so I'm hoping the O-ring trick will work here as well.
Beobloke

Great Britain

Postby fscl » 19 Jul 2010 13:03

Malemocynt wrote:Yeah, from what I've been reading, this turntable and others like it (PS-Q3, and PS-Q5), only have the VL-43G, which is a custom-fit cartridge.

Does it come under any other name, since it was manufactured by Audio Technica?

I noticed in the Library there is a nearly similar cartridge called the VL-43GS which takes the same stylus as the VL-43G, but is that cartridge build the same or is it different since it is made for the PS-LX330, a standard pivot-arm turntable?

It seems strange, but apparently it is common for these turntables to come up with the cartridge missing. Not sure why that is though.

As the Japanese manufacturer's were HIGHLY competitive during vinyl's heyday, those with R & D would probably fall on a Hari Kari knife than "give in" to another competitor's design / licensing fees...... :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: #-o #-o ](*,) ](*,) :-k :-k

That along with building a better mouse trap was incentive enough to "one up" and so this Sony and pirca's JVC have non standard P-like mounting.......

As far as these turn up missing, after the original owners frustration at bringing home the first P-mount replacement and not fitting.... probably extracted the cartridge to bring into dealers to find a suitable replacement, found none except for Sony, abandoned the tt and never mated the cartridge & tt again......

As Sony called on AT for cartridge, this may be a candidate for paladin / lini / fantasia franken cartridge adapatation......

MUUUUUUHHHHHAAAAAA HHHHHHAAAAA HHHHHAAAAA, he / she is alive..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Upload a picture of the cartridge and needle receptacle.... and one of our resident Dr.s can make a recommendation and salvage the tt.

Fred and as consumer hate being caught in format wars.... Elcassette, Beta, LD etc at least it's BlueRay now though I haven't bought into yet..... and who knew Sony would be called on to supply replacement cartridges after 3 decades....... :evil: :evil: :cry:
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....WFUV Fan.
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby fscl » 19 Jul 2010 13:47

fscl recommends:
As Sony called on AT for cartridge, this may be a candidate for paladin / lini / fantasia franken cartridge adapatation......

MUUUUUUHHHHHAAAAAA HHHHHHAAAAA HHHHHAAAAA, he / she is alive.....

Upload a picture of the cartridge and needle receptacle.... and one of our resident Dr.s can make a recommendation and salvage the tt.

Sorry, my bad..... :oops: :?

This tt is cartridge less...... looks like an adapter is more in order....

Wow, lots of work, slightly bent pins to go from P-mount--->Sony pin orientation, cutting / shaping / adding to the male Sony socket-->P-mount dimensions... etc.....

Fred and not reading and realizing you don't have the cartridge body....
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....WFUV Fan.
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Re: Sony PS-Q7 - fixer-upper help

Postby keiko5 » 25 Oct 2011 18:40

Apologies for resurecting an old thread. My curiosity got the better of me and I recently bought a PS-Q7 in nice condition. After spending a few evenings sorting it out, cleaning the contacts and making some adjustments to the lead-in, I hooked it up to my system. I was fully expecting to be underwhelmed. After all, based on conventional wisdom this turntable has alot working against it. Its direct drive, but it has such a small platter that any flywheel effect is virtually non-existent. The tonearm is very short, with a pivot to stylus length of about 175mm. It has an inexpensive cartridge with a conical stylus. Tracking force is applied by spring. And yet, it is suprisingly pleasant to listen to. The speed stability is good in spite of the tiny motor and platter. I couldn't detect any significant distortion or sibilance, which to me was the most surprising.

Listening through its built in headphone amp is quite relaxing. Of course it lacks a bit of detail, but balance and separation is good as is the dynamic range. And most importantly, it is very quiet. It won't replace any of my turntables, but I bought it for listening to my records via headphones next to the fireplace where I don't have a stereo system, and for that it should work perfectly.
keiko5
contributor

United States of America

Re: Sony PS-Q7 - fixer-upper help

Postby Grant173 » 17 Jun 2012 04:35

Sorry to bring this thread up yet again. I have just repaired an old PS-Q3, which may have similar parts to the PS-Q7. And sharing the parts I used may help others.

These are -

For the tone arm:
Square Belt, Reel 1.55 Inch
.028 Inch / 0.7mm Thick and Wide;
1.55 Inch / 3.9cm Inside Circumference (total Length).

The two belts for the turntable -
Square Belt, Small 3.7 Inch
.046 Inch / 1.2mm Thick & Wide
3.7 Inch / 9.4cm Inside Circumference (total length)

Square Belt, Small 10.3 Inch
.046 Inch / 1.2mm Thick & Wide
10.3 Inch / 26.2cm Inside Circumference (total length)

And for the cartridge I bought a needle -
Needle 747-D7 (ND-143G type needle for built-in non-replaceable Sony cartridge VL-43G). 747-D7 might be a stock list number. I got them all from Turntableneedles.com . It took a little time for one of the belts to be in stock, the others came quickly.

As with others on this thread, I adjusted where the needle dropped onto the record, and where it lifted at the end of the disc using the adjustable screws at the rear. (i.e. dp adj: Drop-Point Adjust: Point of start. end adj: Where to stop on the inside of the disc.) And turned an internal screw a little to make the tone arm lift higher, so the needle clears the disc. So far it's going very well.

The owner's manual is on this site here -
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-q3.shtml

I hope this is useful. It's my first attempt at fixing a turntable. I am interested in looking for another.
Grant173

New Zealand

Return to Sony