the home of the turntable

dual 506 vs. 510

twice the fun

dual 506 vs. 510

Postby ludlow » 01 Jun 2010 23:01

Hi folks,

I have just joined the forum after having resurrected my vinyl collection and turntables from the basement after some time (both of which unfortunately took some beatings through a couple of moves). One of the tables is an Acoustic Resarch XA, on which I am planning to do some work, including a new cartridge and stylus.

To the point, I am looking at buying an affordable and durable turntable for the time being. Aside from a general lack of funds, basically I have a couple of young kids (hence the lack of funds) and I can predict that my girls will likely touch daddy's turntable even though he asks them not to do so. I don't want to freak out too much when this inevitably happens.

I am currently looking at a dual 510 through a private sale in my hometown with a stanton cartridge (original cartridge maybe?) for about $130 (it has been for sale for some time and I will therefore offer less). I am also looking at a dual 506 being sold on ebay and serviced by the senior tech at All in One Electronics in Toronto (Dual distribution for Canada I think) for about $150 (this one has a lightly used dual sylus - doesn't mention the cartridge).

Any thoughts / comments / advice would be most appreciated regarding the relative merits of these two tables. Although I have been listening to vinyl for years I am very much a novice in buying and servicing good turntables.

Many thanks.
ludlow

Postby Alec124c41 » 02 Jun 2010 05:32

I have had a 510 for many years, and it is a solid performer. That being said, the 506 is probably the better turntable, being the next model group, and if it has been serviced by Rob, you can be sure it is in perfect shape.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Thanks

Postby ludlow » 02 Jun 2010 16:09

Alec124c41 wrote:I have had a 510 for many years, and it is a solid performer. That being said, the 506 is probably the better turntable, being the next model group, and if it has been serviced by Rob, you can be sure it is in perfect shape.

Cheers,
Alec

Thanks very much for your sage comments Alec. I read many of the dual topics in the forum prior to posting, thus reading many of your postings, and I really value your opinion. Cheers

Craig
ludlow

Postby Smoke Screen » 02 Jun 2010 18:42

I would choose the 510 over the 506 because the older model
is better in every aspect: It has the better motor and a higher
platter-mass,the tonearm is a universal medium mass type while
the 506 has a ultra lightweight arm. Also the 510 only needs the
available TK24 subheadshell for mounting standart carts while for
the 506 a special adapter is needed.
I dont say the 506 is bad,but in the long run its the more limited
and limiting model. The 510 leaves you more freedom in choosing
a cart and runs satisfying with a larger spectrum of carts.
The 510 came original with the Shure M95E-D cart, the 506 with
Dual TKS45E which origins from Ortofon.
Replacement-needles are avail for both carts. For the TKS45E
there are still original Dual replacement needles avail,but a bit
to pricey imho.
Smoke Screen

Germany

Postby steely » 02 Jun 2010 21:25

I have no experience with the 506 but I can make a strong case for the 510. I bought it new back in the mid or late '70s, used (and maybe abused) it frequently, dragged it around with me over the decades from apartment to apartment and house to house, and (I'm embarrassed to say) NEVER serviced it, lubricated it or took care of it as I should have. Guess what? After nearly 35 years, that marvel of German engineering still performs like it did the day I got it...with perhaps the ONLY exception being RCA plugs which are starting to go bad (if I grasp the back of the plugs where the cables enter and wiggle them, I can induce a hum).

If I have any regrets at all it's that I didn't outfit it with one of the nicer optional REAL wood bases which were available at the time, but even with the plastic faux wood-grain base, the 510 turned out to be one of the smartest purchases I've ever made!

BTW, it came new with a Pickering XSV/3000 cartridge (dealer option?) which I changed out only last year for an Audio Technica AT-15XE cartridge body and ATN-20SS Shibata stylus. It all works and sounds great!

Good luck with your decision! :o
steely

Postby ludlow » 03 Jun 2010 03:41

Thanks Steely and smokescreen for the helpful advice.

I purchased the 510 this evening and am currently listening to some very sweet curtis mayfield while I type this.

The nice gentleman selling it turned out to be quite an audiophile who rebuilds duals (I spotted about 20 different dual tables) and other tables. The turntable looks well-cared for and sounds great.

Hopefully I love it as long as everyone else seems to enjoy the 510!

Cheers eh.

Craig
ludlow

Postby steely » 03 Jun 2010 04:37

ludlow wrote:I purchased the 510 this evening....

Wow, that was fast! ;-)

I think you made a very good decision and I wish you many years of happiness with your "new" Dual. :D
steely

Postby Alec124c41 » 03 Jun 2010 05:54

When I found a Rega Planar 2 at a yard sale years ago, and cleaned it up, it sounded no better than my old 510. The 510 will go on forever.
It takes a Grado well.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Return to Dual