the home of the turntable

New Cartridge for Dual 1214

twice the fun

New Cartridge for Dual 1214

Postby wbyeats74 » 16 May 2010 21:15

Hi guys,

I'm a complete newby with vinyl. I got a Grundig Studio 12 (see it here: http://digilander.libero.it/commerciale ... y/8871.jpg) that mount a Dual 1214 turntable and some Lps and 78 rpms. As I already have a Nad 3120 amplifier and I didn't want to use the grundig speakers, I made a hole in the grundig box and get the signal cable of the dual out of it. I mount a pair of RCA plug and I connected it to my amplifier. It sounds!

Well it's really not a pretty sound in my opinion. Its' very high and with high distortion. The first thing I noticed is that I don't connect it to the phono input of the Nad but another input. Should be a problem of the cartridge?

Now I would like to try a different cartridge to see if it solves the problem.
As I don't think that the dual has a quickly changeable headshell I would prefer to find a cartridge with a double stylus, one for Lps and one for 78 rpms. Do you know if there is any of good quality I can use with the dual?
Otherwhise what would you suggest me?
Can I use a 78 rpm cartridge with Lps? As I have another turntable I would use this mainly for 78rpms and other very old lps.

Hope you can help me
Thank you very much in advance!
wbyeats74

Postby Alec124c41 » 17 May 2010 06:14

If you are taking the signal from the turntable, you must plug into the phono inputs of your NAD.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby marinsig » 17 May 2010 09:48

Don't use a 78rpm cartridge for 33s if you love your records! You may destroy them... You must use two different stylus. I suggest you a grado presitge 78 rpm.
marinsig

Postby wbyeats74 » 17 May 2010 13:08

Alec124c41 wrote:If you are taking the signal from the turntable, you must plug into the phono inputs of your NAD.

No, that's not true. I found out that the Dual is using a CDS 650 cartridge that is ceramic piezoelectric. This type of cartridge doesn't need to be plugged in the phono input. Unfortuantely it seems that magnetic cartridge can only be used with 4-pole motor and mine is 2-pole (I looked in the bottom of the plate).
So I think I'm stuck with this cartridge that sound pretty bad. Someone told me that it's just this type of cartridge that should be plugged to a specifici type of pre-amp that handle ceramic cartridge to get better result. But I cannot find any on the net.
Maybe I should just give a try changing stylus and getting a double 33/78 stylus (https://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-171_p_906.html).
Any other hint?
wbyeats74

Postby wbyeats74 » 17 May 2010 13:10

marinsig wrote:Don't use a 78rpm cartridge for 33s if you love your records! You may destroy them... You must use two different stylus. I suggest you a grado presitge 78 rpm.

As I worte above, unfortunately it seems I cannot use a MM cartridge and I'm stuck with ceramic type. Do you know any good (if good is possible with this type) ceramic cartridge?
Otherwhise I will give a try buying a new stylus that have both the 33 and 78
(https://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-171_p_906.html).
Any other hint would be appreciated
wbyeats74

Return to Dual