the home of the turntable

Geo-disc

the thin end of the wedge

Geo-disc

Postby ovalmarc » 27 Apr 2010 19:29

Just received my sound lab geo-disc, i think its great. Just wondering if anyone else has one or used one and what they think. :)
ovalmarc

Postby ovalmarc » 27 Apr 2010 19:36

Is that needed? mine sounds a lot better with just the geo-disc.
ovalmarc

MoFidelity Geodisc

Postby rayr0683 » 27 Apr 2010 21:48

I have the Geodisc in my MoFi Beatles Box Set LP's....I always use it after I do all the tedious work with my DB Systems Protractor.....and it is all always right on. I sometimes wonder if I could just use the Geodisc and save alot of time and aggravation.....Ray

ovalmarc wrote:Is that needed? mine sounds a lot better with just the geo-disc.
rayr0683

Postby starterwiz » 28 Apr 2010 06:40

What's a geo-disc?
I have printed out a whack of different protracters, and I'm not able to tell by eye if it's better aligned at one point or another within a few millimeters of radius.
While I can appreciate the science of the difference between the various alignments, I still just use a hole-punched business card, with one line from the centre of the hole out, and some 90 degree lines drawn across. Sometimes I'll draw another line parallel to the centre line that aligns with the end of the headshell, so I don't have to keep bending over to check the tip.
If anyone can get it more precise by eye, given the tolerance of tip construction, then kudos. If it looks straight at every point across the record then I'm happy.
Ear only after on the inner grooves and don't ever look again or I'm sure to "fix it" wrong.
I suppose with a 'scope and some mono sign waves I could see the errors, but once you have the overhang correct for the arm length, it just a matter of twisting to set it right. I suppose that on the outer groove there is a difference, but it's very vague. The tiny inner grooves are where it counts for things like VTA, azimuth, and alignment IMO.
And the best sounds are usually in the last grooves of a side grrr.
starterwiz

Re: Geo-disc

Postby andyr » 28 Apr 2010 11:54

ovalmarc wrote:Just received my sound lab geo-disc, i think its great. Just wondering if anyone else has one or used one and what they think. :)

The Geo-Disc is a good "starter" alignment tool, IMO.

But I've "graduated" to a Wallytractor (an arc protractor). These are probably hard to get, nowadays ... but Ken Willis has a good arc protractor for 1/2 the price (the AccuTrak). :D

Regards

Andy
andyr

Re: Geo-disc

Postby ovalmarc » 28 Apr 2010 19:18

The Geo-Disc is a good "starter" alignment tool, IMO.

But I've "graduated" to a Wallytractor (an arc protractor). These are probably hard to get, nowadays ... but Ken Willis has a good arc protractor for 1/2 the price (the AccuTrak). :D

Regards

Andy[/quote]
This is my first aligment tool i've used so i'm glad its a good starter!
I've always got a friend to sort this kind of stuff out for me, but i thought it was about time i started to do everything myself. :)
ovalmarc

Postby Guest » 28 Apr 2010 22:20

Don't expect the Geo-disc to get spot on alignment, it will only get you close. It may sound great after you have used it but until you have heard the diff between nearly accurate and absolute accurate you will know what i mean. Sorry to be a party pooper! regards, dom.

Postby EdAInWestOC » 28 Apr 2010 22:38

I have to chime in also. The GeoDisc is OK but a better protractor is a better idea.

Is a single point thing that you have to point at the exact pivot point of your tonearm. It is much easier than a comparative two point protractor but you don't get the same results.

IMO you should spend the money and take the time to learn to use a good two point protractor. It is worth both the money and time.

Ed
We don't shush around here!
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
EdAInWestOC
contributor

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps