the home of the turntable

Thorens Td 280 Mk Iv Manual

snap, crackle and pop

Thorens TD 280 MK IV

Postby Coltazz » 13 Apr 2010 18:02

Hi there

Need manual for the Thorens TD 280 MK IV with original tonearm TP 35.

Hope someone can help.

Best regards

Poul
Coltazz

Thorens Td-280 Mkiv Manual

Postby astagumby » 29 May 2011 12:23

Hi there,

If you're still looking for the manual for the TD-280 MkIV - I got one. It came with the TT that I bought on ebay last week, and that arrived yesterday. I'll scan it in the coming week and upload it to Vinylengine.

- Asta (first ever post on this forum, which he recently joined after becoming vinyl addicted again recently after 30 years)
astagumby
contributor

Re: Thorens Td-280 Mkiv Manual

Postby fscl » 30 Jun 2011 18:29

astagumby wrote:Hi there,

If you're still looking for the manual for the TD-280 MkIV - I got one. It came with the TT that I bought on ebay last week, and that arrived yesterday. I'll scan it in the coming week and upload it to Vinylengine.

- Asta (first ever post on this forum, which he recently joined after becoming vinyl addicted again recently after 30 years)

Would appreciate this too! The tone arm is unique and this would help with setup.

TIA

Fred
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....WFUV Fan.
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby astagumby » 08 Jul 2011 00:26

I'm sorry for not uploading the manual like I promised to, but my scanner has recently deceased. As soon as I get another one, I will scan the whole manual as promised. In the meantime, I made some pictures (not very good ones though...) of the pages about tonearm and cartridge setup. I hope you'll find them useful :

astagumby
contributor

Re: Thorens Td-280 Mkiv Manual

Postby astagumby » 08 Jul 2011 00:41

fscl wrote:Would appreciate this too! The tone arm is unique and this would help with setup.

TIA

Fred

It's not all that unique. I recently acquired a Thorens TD-150 with the TP13a tonearm: built in the mid 1960's I believe, but the tonearm setup and antiskating device seems to be very similar to that of the later 280MkIV :

--- BTW, sorry about the size of the pictures, haven't yet got around to adjusting them ---
astagumby
contributor

Postby fscl » 08 Jul 2011 15:39

This site rocks...... or is populated by classics..... people that is...... :) :) =D> =D>

Civilized, polite, agree to disagree and most importantly willing to help......... :) :) =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/

astagumby, thanks so much..... couldn't figure how to adjust the lateral balance.... Thorens.....by lifting the front of the turntable..... #-o ](*,). All other lit in the VE library reads / shows the adjustment by lifting the rear of the tt..... :oops: #-o I feel stupid.

Unique in the sense that there is only one tonearm used on one model turntable:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_tonearms.htm

Looks like the TP-13A is in itself unique used only on the TD-150 II. If the instruction manual does not exist in the VE library, I try to find a similar tt / tonearm for reference.

Anyway, thanks for the pictures of the instruction manual.

Fred and lifting the front of my tt and as I surmised, arm must be rebalanced everytime the lateral adjustment is moved..... :shock:
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Re: Thorens Td 280 Mk Iv Manual

Postby Cassian » 20 Jul 2012 14:54

Hello. Not sure if the original contributors are still around, but I am very interested in this thread. I've just taken my old Thorens td 280 mk iv out of storage and the anti-skating weight is missing.

I see that it is possible to make your own out of fishing line/weights. What I didn't get from this is the mass of the fishing weight I need to use. Can anyone help ? Thx
Cassian

Great Britain

Postby astagumby » 20 Jul 2012 21:45

Hello Cassian,

Your post reminded me that I hadn't yet uploaded the manual to the VE Library - so I finally did that just now. Unfortunately, the mass of the counterweight isn't mentioned in the manual. I'll try and weigh it myself (kitchen scale, 1 gram accuracy), but if I can't get an accurate result, I'll take it to a pharmacist nearby, and ask him to weigh it for me.

Asta
astagumby
contributor

Postby astagumby » 20 Jul 2012 22:55

I managed to get a pretty accurate result: 3.7 grams. But of course, that includes some margin of error, because I don't have professional equipment to weigh small quantities. I think you'll be safe if you settle for 3.7 grams or thereabouts, but if you want more accuracy, just let me know.
astagumby
contributor

Postby fscl » 26 Jul 2013 02:23

Recently noticed the addition of the TD 280 Mk IV service manual in the library...... =D>

As a heads up, wanted to post that my TD 280 is a hybrid - with a modified Mk II platter, subplatter and well bearing (and not exactly as shown in the Mk II manual); mated to the TP 35 tonearm.

So lubrication of the subplatter bearing is with oil in the bearing well in lieu of grease.

Fred
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby rowboatcop » 12 Aug 2013 22:16

=D>
rowboatcop

Denmark

Postby astagumby » 12 Aug 2013 23:02

Thank you very much for showing your appreciation, I hope you found this thread useful !

astagumby
astagumby
contributor

Postby The120872 » 24 May 2014 15:34

Any that Can help me with a manual fore td 150 mk II also?
The120872

Denmark

Postby fscl » 25 May 2014 15:21

The120872 wrote:Any that Can help me with a manual fore td 150 mk II also?

Welcome to VE..... :)

Manuals can be downloaded here from the VE library:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/thorens/td150.shtml

There's no service manual however, from the owners manuals, it seems that this tt is quite simple, most likely using an AC synchronous motor w/ applicable pulley driving a belt. The Thorens twist knob / lever cue control diagrams can probably be found in Models numbered closeby..... :-k :-k

Typing in "TD 150 II" in the VE searchbox to the right of "HFE" will return specific topics on VE about this tt.

Good luck.

Fred
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms