I have got my Dual for less then two weeks, but I am still trying to get the best from it
Just after I got it the tracking force and anti-skate were precisely set according to the manual. Then (after 3 days of just enjoying of looking at!) my Monacor SPR-6 preamp arrived and I was able to start listening. It was great to look, sort and finally listen to my vinyls, but after a couple of days I felt that it is not perfect (or maybe just not good enough). The sound a little bit too harsh and the lack of bass generally. On the records with solid bass fundament (The Cure - Faith) it was present, but still it was not what I expected. Today I have decided to check as much as possible. Printed the template for setting tangency, checked and it seems ok. Checked the VTA - it also seemes to be ok (though I do not have any precise instrument to be sure). Next step - azimuth. It was not perfect so I have corrected it a bit. At last set the tracking force once again - this time a bit more - 17,5 Nm.
I have been listening for an hour now and it seems to be a little bit better than before, but it is not enough to be sure about it... The sound is maybe not so harsh, but still there is not enough bass though there might be a little more of the lows... There is a long night coming... I will tell you more details tomorrow. I wonder where is the problem. There might be many of them...
- cartridge? Do not think so...
- stylus? Might be. It is not new, but looks ok. It is the original Dual/Ortofon DN165E
- Preamp? It is a real budget, but it was said to have quite a good bass response.
- cables? Rather not... Original cables from the TT and Helion Ezotech from the phono preamp to my amp. Ezotech is a kind of cable that does not make the input more attractive - it just transfers the sound as it is - with all the goods and bads. Generally worth more than a turntable. Maybe I should try something cheaper like Monster Cable 300? It definitely tends to emphasize low frequencies.
- TT placement? It is not perfect at the moment, but i really do not think it may be the issue. I have same problems while listening gently and loud.
- the vinyls, that spent more than 10 years in the basement with winter temperatures far below 0?
Additionally I would like to ensure myslf as for cartridge/stylus replacement for my Dual 505-3. The original cartridge is Dual ULM 65E and the stylus Dual DN 165 E. Are these exact equivalents (rebranded) to Ortofon OMP 10 and Ortofon 10 stylus? If so, what can I expect from stylus 20? Any chance for a better bass foundation?