the home of the turntable

Thorens Td-160, Tp16 Cartridge Mounting

music box

Postby RED_One » 16 Feb 2010 17:50

that sounds odd as there is only around 3.5mm between the Thorens protractor & the baerwald

I'm starting to think that the arm can be set to be longer in the gimbal - another explanation as to how some people have no probs with the baerwald

if he used another protractor gauge I guess it could be midway but who is to know what it sounds like (& there's no chance of hearing it) when the Thorens itself shows a fair bit of distortion
RED_One

Postby RED_One » 16 Feb 2010 17:57

bastlnut wrote:hallo,

i just reinstalled a Denon DL160 onto a TD 145 with original big heavy TP16 tonearm.
i used the stupid protractor and the Baerwald points.
the cartridge is all the way forward and the front twisted just a little bit towards the spindle.
i twisted the cartridge just enough to line it up with the inner grid only and sounds great.
you will need to lower the arm a bit to get the VTA right.

regards,
bastlnut

Hello Bastnut
Can you provide the info on the Stupid protactor overhang / offset angle ? - it would be interesting to gauge the result on Sebs calculator to compare
RED_One

Postby bastlnut » 16 Feb 2010 21:13

RED_One wrote:........(& there's no chance of hearing it) when the Thorens itself shows a fair bit of distortion

hallo,

if set up right, the thorens should not be distorting at all.
there must be something else wrong.

i use this stupid protractor...
http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-al ... tors.shtml

regards,
bastlnut
bastlnut
long player
long player
contributor

Switzerland

Postby RED_One » 16 Feb 2010 21:26

bastlnut wrote:
RED_One wrote:........(& there's no chance of hearing it) when the Thorens itself shows a fair bit of distortion

hallo,

if set up right, the thorens should not be distorting at all.
there must be something else wrong.
regards,
bastlnut

I was referring to the graph read out from Seb's calculator the original Thorens protractor is not as good as Baerwald & shows more distortion (in comparison) - I'll try & see how the stupid compares

Edit - no way to determine measurement off the Stupid without setting the stylus to it & measuring backwards & I don't want to do that just yet.
RED_One

Postby seventy1 » 16 Feb 2010 22:15

philltubes, I did not remove the sliding nut plate from the headshell. My headshell came without the Thorens badge, so I have a good view of where the nut plate is and how far it can move. Sounds like the difference is in where the Grado stylus to mounting screws are compared to the Denon?
seventy1

Postby Alec124c41 » 17 Feb 2010 06:05

Use of 2-point protractor:
Align the cartridge to the inner point.
Move to outer point, and look:
- If the cartridge has moved through too much angle, it needs to move forward.
- If the cartridge has not turned enough, it needs to move back in the headshell.
Repeat until you can align it at both points.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby seventhedition » 15 Sep 2010 15:47

bastlnut wrote:hallo,

i just reinstalled a Denon DL160 onto a TD 145 with original big heavy TP16 tonearm.
i used the stupid protractor and the Baerwald points.
the cartridge is all the way forward and the front twisted just a little bit towards the spindle.
i twisted the cartridge just enough to line it up with the inner grid only and sounds great.
you will need to lower the arm a bit to get the VTA right.

regards,
bastlnut

How do I know when the VTA is set correctly for the DL-160 on a TP-16? Should the bottom of the cartridge be parallel with record surface?

Thanks,

Adam
seventhedition

Postby Guest » 19 Sep 2010 06:17

I have just installed a Denon DL160 to my Thorens TD160 with original arm and had no problem using the Thorens Baerwald Protractor.
The sliding mount is all the way forward and the cartridge twisted very slightly towards the spindle to align with the grid.
To get the correct VTA I dropped the arm mount all the way down to make the arm parallel with the record.
Sounds sweet.
Graham. :D

Postby seventhedition » 08 Oct 2010 18:27

I've received my replacement DL-160 (long story...) and am wondering if I should use the little metal spacer provided. I can't seem to get the VTA just right on the TP-16 even when adjusting the arm, it just wont go low enough. Will the spacer negatively affect the setup considering arm and cartridge weights?
seventhedition

Postby rkay5 » 09 Oct 2010 01:36

I've received my replacement DL-160 (long story...) and am wondering if I should use the little metal spacer provided

Give it a try you can always take it off if you don't like how it sounds.
Robert
Thorens TD150/Sole sub-chassis/Mose+Hercules/Rokan NIMA Unipivot/Denon DL-S1/Jolida JD9/Cambridge Audio Azur 851A/Mytek Stereo 192DSD DAC
rkay5
contributor

United States of America

Postby Guest » 12 Oct 2010 08:49

If you can't get the arm mount low enough for correct VTA, try a thicker platter mat.
It will achieve the same end result, ie arm parallel with record surface.
I didn't use the spacer but my DIY cork 'spotmat' is 4mm thick.
Graham.

Postby rkay5 » 18 Oct 2010 04:48

Have look it this
[album]11768[/album]
Robert
Thorens TD150/Sole sub-chassis/Mose+Hercules/Rokan NIMA Unipivot/Denon DL-S1/Jolida JD9/Cambridge Audio Azur 851A/Mytek Stereo 192DSD DAC
rkay5
contributor

United States of America

Postby John195 » 19 Nov 2010 07:45

I have a Thorens TD160 mk1 with TP16 mk1 and Denon DL110 cartridge, I removed the thorens plate & sliding sled from the headshell and used the denon bolts & nuts, this will let you turn the cartridge more for the baerwald arc protractor, and arm mass will be 2 grams less BTW (14 grams). Also I DO NOT use the spring VTF, I set to 0 and slide the counterwieght for VTF ONLY as It sounds best. I remove the plastic cap on top of arm piller and I spray the arm top bearings with CRC then put the cap back on.

All the Best. :)
John195

Postby John195 » 11 Sep 2011 07:47

To use the Thorens sliding sled, use a 2.5mm drill bit to make the holes bigger (I find this is works best). :)
John195

Postby david 62 » 22 Sep 2011 14:54

I used a two point protractor to mount my Signet TK7E cartridge in the head shell of my TP-16 tone arm.Is there a general rule as to the over hang,or how far the stylus tip should be from the front of the head shell?Thanks,
Dave
david 62

PreviousNext

Return to Thorens