the home of the turntable

Carbon fibre brushes.....

how clean is your house

Carbon fibre brushes.....

Postby Bright Spark. » 08 Feb 2010 17:46

I know there's been a lot of posts on here regarding the advantages of carbon fibre brushes for cleaning off the record before playing ..... but looking at ones for sale ( ebay )..... the prices vary from a few pounds, to much greater sums.

Is there a great difference in quality to justify the higher priced ones ?

Can anyone recommend a good one ? It doesn't matter where it is or the cost ( within ) reason..... just so long as it's justified. !

Thanks again all ....
Bright Spark.

Postby pivot » 08 Feb 2010 18:27

I use and am happy with the Audioquest. Here is one USA based supplier but I am sure you can find something nearer to home.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/72883

I also tried a lower priced version that looked exactly the same if one did not look to close. The bristles were more coarse and tended to shead. I tossed it out. Look out for cheesy junky copies.

Do keep in mind the carbon brush is just to remove the loose dust just before playing an already clean record. A CF brush is not going to clean a really dirty record.
Kevin R-M

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1
pivot
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Blue Angel » 08 Feb 2010 18:29

My free, unrequired opinion: I think they all come out of the same kitchen and methinks they're pretty useless, if you're enquiring about the well-known record brushes.

I have these brushes branded Decca, Goldring and Audioquest and they're all identical except for the branding.

ba
"If you don't like my principles, I have others" - Groucho Marx
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Postby pivot » 08 Feb 2010 18:36

Blue Angel wrote:My free, unrequired opinion: I think they all come out of the same kitchen and methinks they're pretty useless, if you're enquiring about the well-known record brushes.

I think you are correct on the brand name units but I did have one cheapy that was clearly inferior.

As far as "useless" I don't agree, but the use is limited to just the final dusting.
Kevin R-M

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1
pivot
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Blue Angel » 08 Feb 2010 19:58

Well, OK, Kev :D Final dusting's the ticket.

ba
"If you don't like my principles, I have others" - Groucho Marx
Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Postby v1nn1e » 23 Feb 2010 19:05

I have one of the regular carbon fibre brushes that I use before I play.

I also earth myself by touching the earth terminal on my phono amp with my other hand whilst I'm holding the aluminium back of the brush as it is against the record.

Just wondered if anyone else does that? Never had a particular problem with static, but then again its very damp in the UK most of the time! :roll:
v1nn1e

Great Britain

Postby Dadimo » 05 Mar 2010 15:01

I never had a problem with static.
I keep an audioquest carbon fiber brush next to the Dual to dust records that had a good cleaning on the RCM, but might need some dusting before playing.
Dadimo

United States of America

Re: Carbon fibre brushes.....

Postby Singlemania45 » 05 Mar 2010 19:02

Bright Spark. wrote:I know there's been a lot of posts on here regarding the advantages of carbon fibre brushes for cleaning off the record before playing ..... but looking at ones for sale ( ebay )..... the prices vary from a few pounds, to much greater sums.

Is there a great difference in quality to justify the higher priced ones ?

Can anyone recommend a good one ? It doesn't matter where it is or the cost ( within ) reason..... just so long as it's justified. !

Thanks again all ....

I have 2 brushes. The cheap and cheerful HMV carbon fibre brush (looks identical to that Audioquest one linked earlier) cleans well and doesn't generate much static. The Super Exstatic by Goldring was more costly using a combination of two carbon brushes and a velvet pad. The Goldring generates so much static that my hair (what little I have) starts to levitate :-s and as you transfer the record to the sleeve you can see the airborn dust particles flying in the direction of the record :roll:
Singlemania45
long player
long player
contributor

Postby Vulcan Viewer » 06 Mar 2010 06:22

Use an earthed one, that tracks like a dustbug, and can be grounded.
Vulcan Viewer

Postby Audio_Man » 07 Mar 2010 09:18

I would second the cheap HMV brush or similar. Works as well if better than Hunt (which sounds like its now the Goldring). The old 'Decca' type has its uses with reversable hard and soft bristles rather than carbon. In the end they just brush of loose dust. Mainly use them for removing loose debris prior cleaning with RCM.
Audio_Man

Postby timspell » 15 Mar 2010 04:51

I use and am happy with the Audioquest.

DITTO
timspell
long player
long player

Static Master Brush

Postby ronzeman » 27 Mar 2010 19:16

Anyone remember the Staticmaster brush? It had a strip of polonium under the retractable soft bristles. The " radiation" was for ionization. I'm sure the "half life" has clocked several times over in mine, ( vintage 1977) but the bristles are still in good shape. Does a good job of cleaning just prior to playing. I also use my "vintage" Discwasher. This oldie has "directional" nap. Also a good performer.
ronzeman

Re: Static Master Brush

Postby Alec124c41 » 28 Mar 2010 06:23

ronzeman wrote:Anyone remember the Staticmaster brush? It had a strip of polonium under the retractable soft bristles. The " radiation" was for ionization. I'm sure the "half life" has clocked several times over in mine, ( vintage 1977) but the bristles are still in good shape. Does a good job of cleaning just prior to playing. I also use my "vintage" Discwasher. This oldie has "directional" nap. Also a good performer.

As a photographer, I had a couple of Staticmasters. I found that the camel hair brush created far too much static, and that the polonium strip was pretty useless. For negatives, the best solution was a Zerostat and a can of compressed air. The Ilford cloth was next best.
I use a carbon fibre brush to remove dust from my records, just before playing, or a misted Diskwasher brush for the dirtier ones.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby ronzeman » 28 Mar 2010 16:01

Thanks for your insight. I just ordered a carbon fiber brush and I'm looking forward to trying it.
ronzeman

Postby davidsss » 29 Mar 2010 09:19

I just bought one of the ones with a strip of velvet between the carbon fibres and it seems to do a better job than just carbon fibre.

DS
Micro Seiki BL51 TT, Stax UA7 Tonearm, RCM Sensor Prelude Phono Stage, Dynavector XX-2 MkII Cart, Rotel RCD865BX Cd Player, Melody I34R amp and Osborn Epitome Speakers.
davidsss
long player
long player
contributor

Australia

Next

Return to Record Cleaning and Storage