I too had this problem. It was a bad solder at a PCB connector—P3 or P4, I don't remember.
Have a look at them with a magnifying glass.
Another clue is to adjust the screws underneath the control panel.
To realize its full potential, you will also need a new stylus or a new cartridge. I bought one from Soundsmith in the USA.
hi Chartz, thanks for your timely reply - with pictures too! Appreciated
I'd considered this - but the problem turned out to be with the new belt i installed. it was too heavy, a thinner one sorted out the problem.
BUT.... yesterday was supposed to be one of celebration - my connector arrived in the mail, the restoration finished. I sat down to about 1/2 an hours worth of pleasure, which was cut short when a fuse blew in the Beogram. i would have thought any problems i may have introduced with my cap replacing would have shown up a bit sooner than that.
Anyhoo, here i am again on the 'net - trying to hunt down some answers
I'm currently looking into the transformer housing, where i've found a big electrolytic, and a fuse that seems to be fine.
The brief musical interlude i had was extremely promising, though!
"Music, being identical with heaven, isn't a thing of momentary thrills, or even hourly ones. It's a condition of eternity... " Gustav Holst