the home of the turntable

Beograms - Bang & Olufsan

snap, crackle and pop

Beograms - Bang & Olufsan

Postby 2772 » 08 Feb 2010 07:32

Hey there,

Just wondering if someone else owns a Beogram? I'm restoring an 8000 at the moment. Totally over-engineered and typically Scandanavian - just like a Volvo or Saab - everything has to be done "differently" :wink: .

One example - of course B&O use DIN plugs - but there seems to be no earth wire. Every other TT has one - why not them? Fill me in! I'm presuming that either the TT earths thru the DIN to a Beocenter, or down the power lead to ground.

Anyhoo, I'd be interested to hear any Beogram experiences.

Cheers, 2772
"Music, being identical with heaven, isn't a thing of momentary thrills, or even hourly ones. It's a condition of eternity... " Gustav Holst

Postby paul401 » 08 Feb 2010 11:41

Hello.
welcome to VE. Welcome to the delights of B&O. And welcome also to the wonderful world of the DIN plug!! It's not all bad, as you say just 'different', and you haven't really lived till you have experience the 'joy' of soldering a DIN plug :roll:

You are correct, the chassis ground connects to the metal casing/inner cover of the DIN plug. the signal ground for both left and right channels is on pin2.

If I may, I'll re-direct you to a recent thread that covers this topic.
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=25264

This thread may also help,
http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ht=#173370

If your looking for an adaptor/connector then these threads should help, without the additional flying earth, ie. using a standard DIN-RCA, you may well get hum problems.

Hope that helps, if not just ask.

Paul
paul401
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby 2772 » 08 Feb 2010 16:16

paul401 wrote:Hello.
welcome to VE. Welcome to the delights of B&O. And welcome also to the wonderful world of the DIN plug!! It's not all bad, as you say just 'different', and you haven't really lived till you have experience the 'joy' of soldering a DIN plug :roll:

You are correct, the chassis ground connects to the metal casing/inner cover of the DIN plug. the signal ground for both left and right channels is on pin2.

If your looking for an adaptor/connector then these threads should help, without the additional flying earth, ie. using a standard DIN-RCA, you may well get hum problems.

Hope that helps, if not just ask.

Paul

Thanks for the quick response, Paul (and your kind offer of advice) - thinking your threads cover all bases - flying earth off the plug itself - now i get it!

Everything will have to wait till i replace the tacho disc and recap the pcb - then i have to hope the stylus is still decent (looks good under magnification - but we'll see :? ) Its all a bit "cross-fingers and pray" - but thats nothing new :P Taking it VERY slow with all that brittle 80's plastic!

Postby paul401 » 09 Feb 2010 01:05

Hi,
happy to advise if I can, but no expert! It's one of those questions/queries that crops up every now and then, quite often when someone encounters their first B&O :D

I was lucky the stylus was fine on my 1100, the only problem was a small crack on one of the hinge lugs on the lid and the turntable wouldn't rotate at 45, turned out to be 'thickened grease'. Still, not bad coming from a skip. Fortunately the 1100 is a more basic, pivoted arm stle deck so no complex electronics, lots of mechanical linkages from the single operating switch though!

Agree, slow and steady is definitely the way to go. worth it though, some may disagree, but I think these decks all exude a certain style that's nice to own. :). good luck with it.

Paul
paul401
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby keiko5 » 09 Feb 2010 02:52

I have owned my Beogram 4002 since the mid 80's, and I have no desire to replace it. It has been a sweatheart, requiring minmal maintenance. These turntables are a study in contrasts; extremely simplified designs require hugely complex mechanical and electronic systems. Even the most ham-fisted and clumsy of us can operate them with a few button presses, but moving them requires a steady hand and a delicate touch.

I love mine, and so does my wife who regards it as nothing more than a pretty record player.
keiko5
contributor

United States of America

Postby 2772 » 09 Feb 2010 04:50

keiko5 wrote:These turntables are a study in contrasts; extremely simplified designs require hugely complex mechanical and electronic systems.

This would make the Beogram a "Rube Goldberg" device - an extremely complex machine to perform a simple operation.

I think this is why i'm attracted to it! :twisted:

Considering the trad. Record Player is an almost-passive electro-mechanical device - only B&O would consider a microprocessor a necessity! :wink:
"Music, being identical with heaven, isn't a thing of momentary thrills, or even hourly ones. It's a condition of eternity... " Gustav Holst

Re: Beograms - Bang & Olufsan

Postby Beobloke » 09 Feb 2010 12:13

2772 wrote:Hey there,

Just wondering if someone else owns a Beogram?

Well, as my username might suggest, I am a fan and, yes I have a few Beograms at the moment, and have owned many more! Currently, I have a 1000, a 6000 (the linear tracking type based on the 4000) and a 5000, with the 5000 being the most regularly used.

Lovely decks!
Beobloke

Great Britain

Re: Beograms - Bang & Olufsan

Postby 2772 » 09 Feb 2010 15:34

Beobloke wrote:
2772 wrote:Hey there,

Just wondering if someone else owns a Beogram?

Well, as my username might suggest, I am a fan and, yes I have a few Beograms at the moment, and have owned many more! Currently, I have a 1000, a 6000 (the linear tracking type based on the 4000) and a 5000, with the 5000 being the most regularly used.

Lovely decks!

Nice to know my thoughts on B&O TT's are being confirmed.

And i'm also relieved that no one has taken me to task for spelling Bang & OLUFSEN incorrectly! :oops: (My spelling is getting progressively worse - the more i use a computer :wink: )

Now i'm getting to grips with the whole MI (Moving Iron) concept.

Postby chartz » 10 Feb 2010 20:44

I do have a Beogram 8000.
It is superb.

See my post: http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ht=beogram
chartz

France

Postby 2772 » 11 Feb 2010 00:54

chartz wrote:I do have a Beogram 8000.
It is superb.

See my post: http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ht=beogram

I'm feeling quietly confident - though, as i keep telling myself, this is all reliant on my repair skills. :shock:

I'm also assuming that you would be aquainted with Dillen (Martin) at Beoworld - lovely guy - and his replacement tacho discs. Should be winging its way here now.

Postby 2772 » 21 Feb 2010 08:34

BEOGRAM 8000 Restoration update

hey there, again.

Just thought i'd quickly update.

Dillens tachodisc and cap pack arrived - and after a long stint of zen-like calm and contemplation - i have got the electronics fully functional again :P

NOTE: Dillen should be recognised by B&O for saving their Beograms for future generations - a true gentleman!

I'm down to cosmetics (lid hinge - arm cover - aluminum tt surround), and one minor quirk - i replaced the belt, and now the stylus wont quite reach the edge of the vinyl - minor, because i can just press << < briefly, then play - then its fine. I'm suspecting that the fresh belt will now require a bit of recalibration of the SO switch? Theories?

Anyhoo, thanks to previous posts here, my new connector is on its way - and in a few days, i might even be able to LISTEN to it!

Postby Beobloke » 24 Feb 2010 16:51

Update!

The Beobloke Beogram collection has recently increased by one, as I picke up a rather nice Beogram 8002 with no less than a mint MMC1 a week or so ago.

Sadly I haven't had time to listen to it yet. :cry:
Beobloke

Great Britain

Postby chartz » 24 Feb 2010 18:56

Hello,

I too had this problem. It was a bad solder at a PCB connector—P3 or P4, I don't remember.
Have a look at them with a magnifying glass.
Another clue is to adjust the screws underneath the control panel.

To realize its full potential, you will also need a new stylus or a new cartridge. I bought one from Soundsmith in the USA.
chartz

France

Postby 2772 » 25 Feb 2010 01:55

chartz wrote:Hello,

I too had this problem. It was a bad solder at a PCB connector—P3 or P4, I don't remember.
Have a look at them with a magnifying glass.
Another clue is to adjust the screws underneath the control panel.

To realize its full potential, you will also need a new stylus or a new cartridge. I bought one from Soundsmith in the USA.

hi Chartz, thanks for your timely reply - with pictures too! Appreciated :wink:

I'd considered this - but the problem turned out to be with the new belt i installed. it was too heavy, a thinner one sorted out the problem.

BUT.... yesterday was supposed to be one of celebration - my connector arrived in the mail, the restoration finished. I sat down to about 1/2 an hours worth of pleasure, which was cut short when a fuse blew in the Beogram. i would have thought any problems i may have introduced with my cap replacing would have shown up a bit sooner than that.

Anyhoo, here i am again on the 'net - trying to hunt down some answers :? I'm currently looking into the transformer housing, where i've found a big electrolytic, and a fuse that seems to be fine.

The brief musical interlude i had was extremely promising, though!

Postby Vulcan Viewer » 25 Feb 2010 02:03

There's an article in a recent Hi Fi News & Record Review about someone's complete B&O system, which he acquired from a restorer in (I think) Norway. Very interesting read.

HiFi News & RR is exclusive to W.H. Smith's, in the UK anyway.
Vulcan Viewer

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms