the home of the turntable

Monacor SPR-6 phono preamp?

the thin end of the wedge

Monacor SPR-6 phono preamp?

Postby fr0do » 05 Feb 2010 00:22

Hi!

Just waiting for my Dual CS505-3 to arrive ;-) No phono stage in my amplifiers so I had to choose phono preamp quickly to be able to connect and enjoy as fast as it arrives ;-) After a short research I've chosen Monacor SPR-6.

http://www.monacor.de/typo3/index.php?i ... N&typ=full

Well... surely it is not high-end and I do not expect it to be, but some reviews and user experience say it is the value for money. Anybody tried it?
fr0do

Postby Alec124c41 » 05 Feb 2010 02:49

Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby fr0do » 05 Feb 2010 23:27

My Dual has arrived and Monacor is on the way ;-) I will try this duet as fast as possible.

As for TC-750 - have you personally tried it? Any opinions? This is quite popular budget preamp here - almost as cheap as Monacor SPR-6. Have not been able to find any reviews so orderded Monacor at the moment. We will see if it can play decently with my Dual.
fr0do

Postby Alec124c41 » 06 Feb 2010 07:06

I have a TC 754, which has 3 line-ins and a volume pot. Very clean.
Enjoy your Dual.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby fr0do » 08 Feb 2010 00:32

Hi!

Thanks for info. I will definitely take it into consideration if my Monacor fails first tests. Technical data suggests TC-750 should be much better as for S/N ratio), but as we all know it is not technical data we take pleasure from ;-) Definitely there may be to much noise from Monacor... The question is if it is acceptable and may be interesting / real compromise between the price and musicality and stereo stage width or not. Have not had any good info about Dynavox TC-750 here in Poland so I abondoned it at the beginning. Maybe it is a mistake I've made...

Guess nobody knows. Gonna be the first to check ;-)

EDIT

...and after more than 30 hours of listening I still cannot say much. It is due I am generally a little disappointed with the sound that comes from the turntable. It is rather the stylus problem so I am not going to judge too quick ;-) Though the components seems to be cheep it just works. No chip inside, it is based on C1815 transistors. Design is as simple as possible. On the outside it is just ok, solid enough. Between the tracks you can hear some noise in the mids, but this is acceptable for me. It disappears as soon as the music starts playing. The annoying thing is the signal level. It seems to be a little low. I cannot compare it to anything. It is so:
- the volume in my amp set at 10 o'clock - it is acceptable to listen to the vinyls at night, not disturbing neighbors
- volume set at the same level - listening to CDs is quite loud and powerfull. I think there should not be so big difference.

Some photos

Alec, how about the singnal level in your TC 75x?

Regards,

Tomek
fr0do

Return to Cartridges and Preamps