the home of the turntable

SH-10EP multi-pin plugs?

turning japanese

SH-10EP multi-pin plugs?

Postby nutbutt » 03 Jul 2004 09:14

Does anyone know if you can still get these multi-pin connecting plugs from anywhere?NB. :?
nutbutt

SH-10EP/SH-10P multi-pin plugs

Postby lungfish108 » 21 Oct 2004 17:22

Have you had any luck in obtaining these?

I've just acquired an SP-10MK2P with the SH-10P rackmount power supply and large remote made by Meridian.

Everything works as it should (except for a couple of burnt-out lights), but the wires that connect the remote to the power supply are falling apart and should be replaced.

I'm wondering if the best thing to do is to have a tech completely rewire the remote including, if necessary, replacing the connectors on the power supply.

To me the connectors look like early 1980s computer connectors, so it may be that more modern ones are available that could be used.

Any thoughts based on your experience?

Cheers,

Joel
lungfish108

Canada

Postby Lug » 27 Oct 2004 12:37

I recently obtained a Technics SL 1000 MK II P, complete with power supply unit SH-10EP, phonoamp and control unit SH-10U (19" rack mont) and tonearm EPA 100P. There is a picture of the complete set at http://de.geocities.com/bc1a69/museum_ger.html (under Technics)

The motor unit runs fine, but the Phono-Amp section SH10U remains silent. I checked the external fuses.

The Phonoamp has not external switches to adapt gain or impedance. There is no indication for MC or MM.

Do I need to access the control unit through the serial ports?

Any help or advice?

Lug
Lug

Switchcraft A4M

Postby howardhudson » 31 Oct 2004 06:40

Howdy All,

I hope this helps...

The connector from the deck/motor assembly of my SP-10MkII into the SH-10E power supply is a Switchcraft A4M, which does look like a DIN 270 Degree 4 pin connector. I assume the power supply side is a mating D4F, but I am still digging in the garage for mine to be sure.

Switchcraft differed from DIN, if I remember, by having a locking tab that was depressed (it's on the power supply side) to release the connector. They are commonly used for microphone connections (in the 3 pin version the A3M and D3F.)

If you would like I can send in a photo of the cable end off the deck. I have no idea of the pinouts, but I think the Matsushita service manual lists them. I do remember they are quite 'hot', like +12, +30 Volts, and ground.

Howard

On edit: I found the SH-10E Power Supply, and the connector is a mating Switchcraft D4F. I can send pix, and if I find the service manual, I'll even look up the pinouts.

If you google Switchcraft A4M you'll find many distributors of Switchcraft and compatible products (e.g. Unicorn and others.) Unicorn calls theirs the XLR connector and that's another term I remember. HH :shock:
howardhudson

Postby euclid » 31 Oct 2004 22:46

I thought you were referring to the connector for rarer versions. If you have one of these life may be tough. It is probably a Japanese connector that may be very hard to get. It has been many years since I have seen that version of an SP-10 so I can't remember how to get one or exactly what it is. A 15 or 25 pin D connector might be a good substitute if you cant get an original.

If your SP10 uses the four pin Switchcraft A4M on the turntable end and D4F on the power supply chassis, you are in luck. It is common. It looks just like the connector used on most professional microphones except it has four smaller pins instead of three pins. These connectors were originally made by Cannon and the part numbers began with XLR. Therefore they are commonly called XLR connectors or Cannon connectors. Four pin XLR connectrors are still used for power on many TV cameras, Camcorders and other gear for broadcast field use. The cannon versions are still available but the Switchcraft and Neutrik versions are much more common. Amphenol and others have also made this type of plug. Some of these other versions are fine and some not so good. The Switchcraft, Neutrick and Cannon (ITT) versions are all fine. Most electronic parts houses sell them.

XLR connectors are available in 3 to 7 pins. I have also encountered 2 and 3 pin mains connectors that are similar but, fortunately, not interchangeable!
euclid

United States of America

Postby JaS » 01 Nov 2004 08:12

On my SP10mkII EP the two cables going from the power supply to the motor unit are:

(1) Power - Switchcraft A4M (as above)
(2) Control - Amphenol DDK 57-30140 (14W + shield)

Amazingly I typed the part number into Google and found places that claim to stock the 14W connector - Amphenol Canada Products SCSI .085" MALE 14P.

If I can find the old cables that used to go to the external control panel I'll post the results here incase its of use to anyone?

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

Postby lungfish108 » 01 Nov 2004 15:14

JaS,

If you can provide any information that would be helpful in replacing the two cables that go from the Meridian remote to the SH-10EP power supply/control panel, I'd be most grateful. The cables on mine still work but are falling apart. But probably what I need here most is someone to redo the wiring to those connectors and back to the remote. That may be rather trickier. . .

Regards and thanks to all for the informative posts.

Joel.
lungfish108

Canada

Postby euclid » 02 Nov 2004 08:32

The Ampenol connector looks like a mini version of the Ampenol Blue Ribbon connectors. The most common of the mini versions was one with 52 pins that was used with 26 pair cable in "key telephone systems" (an old and very common form of multi-line phone in the USA). I just found it on page 165 of the 2005 Allied catalog that I recieved a couple of weeks ago. It describes it as a "micro-blue ribbon" connector.

Do you have any pictures of the other connectors besides th XLR power connector?
euclid

United States of America

Postby JaS » 02 Nov 2004 08:49

I'll try to take some more pictures of mine this week - I'm going to need to find them as I rewired my power supply and no longer use the flying controls. If lungfish108 could do the same then we might get somewhere :)

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

Great Britain

SH-10EP power supply/control centre

Postby lungfish108 » 02 Nov 2004 14:56

JaS,

I do have a picture of the power supply for my SP-10MKIIP; now I just need to figure out how to upload it!

Am working on it.

Joel.
lungfish108

Canada

Return to Technics