the home of the turntable

Turntable Spikes inplace of feet ?

snap, crackle and pop

Turntable Spikes inplace of feet ?

Postby taephono » 13 Jan 2010 21:08

Anyone here replace the feet on their turntable with metal spikes...?
I know PartsExpress sells spikes for speakers, but I'm not sure if the
threaded end would be similar to the feet thread? Looking for info on how to add spikes in place of feet.. :?

Cheers...Clint
taephono
contributor

Postby Bigears » 13 Jan 2010 22:09

I fitted coned spikes to the newly made base of my Garrard plinth, but to be honest, its not as effective as you might think unless what its spiked to is also partly isolated. After much experimenting, I've found that the best thing to do if spiking TT plinths is to spike them to a heavy slate base (or a paving slab which does just as good a job) and place some of those Sorbothane pads beneath the slab onto the furniture you sit your TT on. Result is pretty effective damping. It doesn't work as well if the TT is placed directlyon the slab, and without the slab the spikes aren't that effective...go figure.
Bigears

Postby Bigears » 13 Jan 2010 22:11

Sorry...just re-read your thread. Fitting spikes is easy. Just buy some of those adjustable spiked cones with the self adhesive backing and stick them to the underside of your TT. The spikes can be supplied with matching cups which also have self adhesive backing. Mine were from the 3Bay priced at £25 for a pack of four (Gold plated). Tip...don't use four though, use three as its much easier to level your deck. Buy the screw-adjustable cones and levelling is easy.
Bigears

Postby Conrad Hoffman » 13 Jan 2010 23:30

Spikes are solid feet. They might couple a bit better to the supporting surface and that's the rub. The "suspension" now includes that supporting surface, so you have to pay a lot more attention to how it's suspended. Just slapping some spikes on a tt without a lot of thought about the entire suspension probably isn't a good idea. Use stick-on, or use the screw holes from the original feet without damaging them, but don't do anything to modify the tt if you ever intend to sell it.
Conrad Hoffman

United States of America

Postby mysticfred » 14 Jan 2010 07:59

I use Oak cone feet on one turntable, it is remarkably solid, though only use three points as four would be almost impossible to level without some micro-rocking.

mysticfred
long player
long player

Brass cones + Aurios

Postby 213Cobra » 06 Feb 2010 22:18

I replaced the adjustable, sprung, compliant stock feet on both my Luxman PD444 turntables with brass cones, points down, resting on brass indent receptors that then rest on Aurios media bearings. This system rests on 3-1/2" of rock maple tabletop. The table also has large brass cones as feet. The brass cones under the turntable are attached to it via double-side-adhesive Herbie's 2" Grungebuster dots.

I arrived at this combination after experimentation with several types of contemporary coupling/isolation/resonance control options, including magnetic levitation, hard balls in silicone cups, stock feet, cones alone and Aurios augmenting all other footers tried. I also tried maple blocks under the turntable.

The Luxman PD444 is a fairly heavy turntable, over 50lbs. with one or two tonearms, dustcover, mat, etc. Magnetic levitation (I used Yeil Spike Sound Will 40kg version) was the pre-game favorite but came in 2nd when it was all over. Mag-lev had advantages in its light, fast, ethereal sound but has some impractical downsides when handling a table with a thick acrylic dustcover. Still, if that had sounded best, I would put up with the handling issues.

Cones alone were competitive. I am using BBC Large Brass Cones, which are gold-plated. They are height-adjustable and each one weighs 13.5 ounces. Cones grounded the sound, stabilized the soundstage, and made large improvements to transient impact and bass depth & clarity. Aurios however, were essential to completing the picture of dynamic life while enchancing tone density and restoring some of the ephemeral qualities delivered by mag-lev but lost with cones alone. The addition of Herbie's Grungbuster slivers between the iron underside of the Luxman and the brass cones was a final tweak for neutral presentation.

My turntables reside in a California slab house, wood flooring over plywood over thick concrete slab., so footfalls are not a problem. But we have constant tiny tremors throughout any given week, the planet contributing its own sound to analog. The Aurios help clean that up as well.

One more thing: Mag-Lev is the best single improvement I've heard in digital. Trying mag-lev on a variety of disc players at several price levels, the effect was uniform -- more dynamic life and clarity, sharp reduction in digital fatigue, more tone, more spatial presentation. The effect isn't small. Adding $200 worth of Yeil mag-lev is like moving up three or four levels of upgrade in digital playback.

Phil
213Cobra

Return to Turntables and Tonearms

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising