the home of the turntable

Ideal Tonearm Resonance Frequency

snap, crackle and pop

Ideal Tonearm Resonance Frequency

Postby TNTTNT » 17 Nov 2009 23:34

I am getting a Rega RB250 soon, hopefully on Friday.

I was thinking of getting an Ortofon 2M Red for it. This is because: -

- It is high compliance of 20, so I can use with my SME Series III if I wish

- It has good reviews from dealer and web users

- It is at a good price


I reckon the resonance frequency will be around 8hz. Is this ok? I have heard it said that 10-12hz is perfect, but I don't know how sensitive this ideal is to deviation from this range.

A bit greedy asking two questions, but is there a better match for the Rega? If you said SME SIII, I would reply Shure V15 without hesitation. Is there an equivalent natural partner for the RB250?
User avatar
TNTTNT
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 488
Joined: 21 Sep 2009 09:50
Location: Kent

Postby audioorigami » 18 Nov 2009 00:31

its maybe not ideal for your sme hard to say for sure...but should work perfect on rega

and yes you can play it on both

try it on both and enjoy the results :D
let us know what works best ...im sure it will be close

the hifi news test record has resonce bands to check the ideal resonance rate of 10hz if you want to double check
User avatar
audioorigami
long player
long player
 
Posts: 1177
Images: 105
Joined: 29 Jan 2005 13:53
Location: scotland

Great Britain

Postby TNTTNT » 19 Nov 2009 11:12

audioorigami wrote:its maybe not ideal for your sme hard to say for sure...but should work perfect on rega

and yes you can play it on both

try it on both and enjoy the results :D
let us know what works best ...im sure it will be close

the hifi news test record has resonce bands to check the ideal resonance rate of 10hz if you want to double check


Really appreciate the kind advice, so thanks.

The one thing that surprised me was I would have thought the 2M Red would have suited the SME Series III more than the Rega. The mass of the SME is 4.5g and compliance of the 2M is 20, so the resonance would be 10hz.
User avatar
TNTTNT
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 488
Joined: 21 Sep 2009 09:50
Location: Kent

Postby TNTTNT » 19 Nov 2009 19:06

I got the used RB250 a day earlier than expected. It is 16 years old and had a Denon 110 on it. I say had, I played it once, then the second time and noticed the needle was almost vertical and had no bounce. It was very distorted, and through gentle prodding fell off. Do MC Denon's perish with age after 16 years?

I swapped for a spare AT95e i had to hand. It sounded really good. I bet with a top cartridge, it would be better.The Denon sounded good the first time. Would a Denon 110 be ok for a Cambridge Audio 640P Amp on MC connection?

When balancing the arm, I set anti-skate to zero. I noticed when weightless, the arm keeps swing to the right, back to arm rest. I was surprised, given there is no anti-skate is it normal for the arm to gently swing to the right?


Please could someone advise.

Just to summarise the need for help

- Is it ok for a Rega RB250 to keep gently swinging to the arm rest when weightless?

- Can I use a Denon 110 MC into a Cambridge Audio 640P's MC connection with no issues?

- Does the needle on a 16 year old Denon perish with this age?

Many thanks
User avatar
TNTTNT
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 488
Joined: 21 Sep 2009 09:50
Location: Kent

Postby audioorigami » 19 Nov 2009 19:13

the cantilever on these dl110 is very thin alloy...and it oxidises with any water in stylis cleaner etc

ive had a couple snap on me as well
User avatar
audioorigami
long player
long player
 
Posts: 1177
Images: 105
Joined: 29 Jan 2005 13:53
Location: scotland

Great Britain

Postby TNTTNT » 19 Nov 2009 19:34

TNTTNT wrote:I got the used RB250 a day earlier than expected. It is 16 years old and had a Denon 110 on it. I say had, I played it once, then the second time and noticed the needle was almost vertical and had no bounce. It was very distorted, and through gentle prodding fell off. Do MC Denon's perish with age after 16 years?

I swapped for a spare AT95e i had to hand. It sounded really good. I bet with a top cartridge, it would be better.The Denon sounded good the first time. Would a Denon 110 be ok for a Cambridge Audio 640P Amp on MC connection?

When balancing the arm, I set anti-skate to zero. I noticed when weightless, the arm keeps swing to the right, back to arm rest. I was surprised, given there is no anti-skate is it normal for the arm to gently swing to the right?


Please could someone advise.

Just to summarise the need for help

- Is it ok for a Rega RB250 to keep gently swinging to the arm rest when weightless?
- Can I use a Denon 110 MC into a Cambridge Audio 640P's MC connection with no issues?

- Does the needle on a 16 year old Denon perish with this age?

Many thanks


It shouldn't...........first thought is the bias, even though set to "zero" still has some tension on the arm pillar.......second thought would be the arm wires are influencing the movement.......third, the arm is not 90ยบ to gravity....ie mounted perfectly vertical or the table isn't leveled.


,

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about the arm not being horizontally level, and did check for this. If there is still tension in the spring, is there anything I can do about, and do I need to worry about it?

Also, I thought about plugging a Denon 110 or 160 into the MM input of the 640P, having just looked at it's output. Is this better than into a MC input?
User avatar
TNTTNT
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 488
Joined: 21 Sep 2009 09:50
Location: Kent

Postby lensmanMK2 » 20 Nov 2009 02:06

- Does the needle on a 16 year old Denon perish with this age?

the needle wont but the rubber will! .. ive had a few NOS stylii top themselves after a few plays, and that is the only reason i can think of
lensmanMK2
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 841
Images: 19
Joined: 02 Aug 2008 19:00
Location: liverpool, uk

Postby Alec124c41 » 20 Nov 2009 04:50

You can usr a DL-110 0r 160 into the Cambridge MM. I can feed them into the MC section of my Yamaha ok, but don't remember if I had any overloading to the 640 MC.
If you want something really nice, try the DL-301 II LOMC with that arm and the 640.

Cheers,
Alec
User avatar
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
 
Posts: 15277
Images: 56
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 04:24
Location: Toronto, Canada

Canada

Postby JaS » 20 Nov 2009 09:13

audioorigami wrote:the cantilever on these dl110 is very thin alloy...and it oxidises with any water in stylis cleaner etc

ive had a couple snap on me as well

To be fair, the climate up your way would eat it's way through an inch thick steel plate in no time. A cantilever doesn't stand a chance :wink:

Regards,
JaS
User avatar
JaS
engine room
engine room
 
Posts: 9802
Images: 190
Joined: 12 Feb 2002 17:32
Location: Dark Peak

Great Britain

Postby TNTTNT » 20 Nov 2009 09:49

audioorigami, , lensmanMK2, Alec124c41 and JaS,

Once again I am indebted. I was really saddened that the needle on the Denon snapped. I played it by dropping it by hand all was fine. I then used the cueing lever, and it dropped really slowly, after which the distortion was unbearable. Looking at it it was at a funny angle.

Do you think I need to worry about the arm gently drifting to the arm rest when weightless? It make it harder to balance, because rather than hang in free space, it is contacted by the arm rest.
User avatar
TNTTNT
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 488
Joined: 21 Sep 2009 09:50
Location: Kent

Postby JaS » 20 Nov 2009 10:04

TNTTNT wrote:Do you think I need to worry about the arm gently drifting to the arm rest when weightless? It make it harder to balance, because rather than hang in free space, it is contacted by the arm rest.

It's not a major problem, just a result of the magnetic, no-contact anti-skate on Regas not having a true zero/off position. I just press a finger against the base to stop it rotating while checking balance, and when aligning a cartridge the tracking force stops the thing drifting once on the protractor.

Regards,
JaS
User avatar
JaS
engine room
engine room
 
Posts: 9802
Images: 190
Joined: 12 Feb 2002 17:32
Location: Dark Peak

Great Britain

Return to Turntables and Tonearms