the home of the turntable

Stanton 681 EEE

the thin end of the wedge

Stanton 681 EEE

Postby jalexa3088 » 29 Oct 2009 19:51

What replacement stylus would you suggest for a Stanton 681 EEE? Thank you.
jalexa3088

Postby bucolicbuffalo » 29 Oct 2009 21:24

The stock stylus should be fine. Nice and warm. I think that's a D6800EEE.

If you can find one of the now rare stereohedron styli, grab them. KAB had a bunch of Pickering D11S, but they look like they are all sold now. I bought a number of those for myself.

(I see another poster beat me with the good info. :) Busy on the phone here.)
bucolicbuffalo

Postby VinylIsTheBest » 29 Oct 2009 22:03

Here is a great replacement stylus for your Stanton. It's a JICO Shibata Stylus. This stylus would be a better replacement because of the Shibata shape instead of the original elliptical tip. It will track much better and will give you greater details.

http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/s ... ts_id=1361

Regards.
VinylIsTheBest
contributor

United States of America

Postby flavio81 » 30 Oct 2009 00:27

VinylIsTheBest wrote:Here is a great replacement stylus for your Stanton. It's a JICO Shibata Stylus. This stylus would be a better replacement because of the Shibata shape instead of the original elliptical tip. It will track much better and will give you greater details.

http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/s ... ts_id=1361

Regards.

I second that opinion too.
flavio81
long player
long player
contributor

Postby ssportclay » 30 Oct 2009 13:24

A shibata stylus will properly track and extract information from CD-4 recordings where a stereohedron stylus will not so in theory the shibata tip should be the better one for extracting high frequency detail. I bought a new Stanton 681EEE a couple years ago. I generally liked the sound and I especially liked it's magical sound stage. The problem with this unit is that it's stylus was a dog. It didn't track very well when new. It did smooth up after a very long break in period but it never did straighten itself out completely. I then purchased a generic shibata stylus from LPgear hoping for improvement. This stylus sounded better than the original stylus when it tracked and worse when it didn't. I never experienced a stylus that seemed so recording dependent. I finally gave up on this cartridge and moved on at least for the time being. I have also read in many cases where the original stereohedron stylus can be very good or very bad depending on luck of the draw. Tracking seems to remain the problem. I am very curious about the JICO shabata stylus but am a little apprehensive about spending more money on this cartridge.
ssportclay

Postby flavio81 » 30 Oct 2009 16:49

ssportclay wrote:This stylus sounded better than the original stylus when it tracked and worse when it didn't. I never experienced a stylus that seemed so recording dependent.

I have a different explanation, and i can bet my money on that:

You were trying to play records that were cut using tracing distortion compensation (ex: Dynagroove). Google it.

Those records will only sound good with a spherical stylus. Any better stylus will give distortion, that will sound exactly like tracing distortion. The better the stylus, the more clear that distortion effect will be.

For example i have a "QUEEN Greatest Hits" vinyl in perfect shape that sounds horrible with my HyperElliptical needle and sounds good with the spherical. But the HE is a far better needle.

BLAME THE CUTTING ENGINEER!
flavio81
long player
long player
contributor

Postby ssportclay » 30 Oct 2009 18:02

flavio81 wrote:
ssportclay wrote:This stylus sounded better than the original stylus when it tracked and worse when it didn't. I never experienced a stylus that seemed so recording dependent.

I have a different explanation, and i can bet my money on that:

You were trying to play records that were cut using tracing distortion compensation (ex: Dynagroove). Google it.

Those records will only sound good with a spherical stylus. Any better stylus will give distortion, that will sound exactly like tracing distortion. The better the stylus, the more clear that distortion effect will be.

For example i have a "QUEEN Greatest Hits" vinyl in perfect shape that sounds horrible with my HyperElliptical needle and sounds good with the spherical. But the HE is a far better needle.

BLAME THE CUTTING ENGINEER!

The problem with the logic is that all of the recordings that didn't track with the generic shibata, tracked just fine with the fine line stylus of the AT-OC9. This is the cartridge I am running now. In fact, it is sounding so wonderful that I am kind of afraid to touch it. The only thing it doesn't have is the unique sound stage of the 681EEE.
ssportclay

Postby flavio81 » 30 Oct 2009 18:22

ssportclay wrote:The problem with the logic is that all of the recordings that didn't track with the generic shibata, tracked just fine with the fine line stylus of the AT-OC9. This is the cartridge I am running now. In fact, it is sounding so wonderful that I am kind of afraid to touch it. The only thing it doesn't have is the unique sound stage of the 681EEE.

Ooops... i lost my money then.

Then the problem is simply that the trackability of the cart with that stylus (&cantilever and rubber) is lower than that of the AT-OC9, or than the cartridge with original stylus(&cantilever&rubber).

It's not the stylus shape's fault but the cantilever and rubber.
flavio81
long player
long player
contributor

Postby ssportclay » 31 Oct 2009 16:33

flavio81 wrote:
ssportclay wrote:The problem with the logic is that all of the recordings that didn't track with the generic shibata, tracked just fine with the fine line stylus of the AT-OC9. This is the cartridge I am running now. In fact, it is sounding so wonderful that I am kind of afraid to touch it. The only thing it doesn't have is the unique sound stage of the 681EEE.

Ooops... i lost my money then.

Then the problem is simply that the trackability of the cart with that stylus (&cantilever and rubber) is lower than that of the AT-OC9, or than the cartridge with original stylus(&cantilever&rubber).

It's not the stylus shape's fault but the cantilever and rubber.

Trackability can become a very complicated issue. I would bet that the older Stanton 681 cartridges made in New York on the whole track better than the newer 681 cartridges made in Florida regardless of any tonearm in question. I am still curious about the JICO shibata stylus.
ssportclay

Shibata stylus for Stanton 681 EEE

Postby Dualist701 » 05 Nov 2009 05:37

I'm enjoying the sound of LP Gear's Shibata stylus on my Stanton 681, which apparently was originally a "EE" (silver ellipse):

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchan ... D6800EEE2S

I use the Stanton _without_ the brush, at about 1.25 grams.

It may not track quite as well as my Shure V15-V, but I prefer the sound.

Some day I may try the JICO Super Analogue Stylus on my V15-V; supposedly betters the original needle.

Interesting web page:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchan ... SHVN5MRSAS

SAS is also available as a replacement stylus for the Shure M97xe.
Dualist701

Re: Shibata stylus for Stanton 681 EEE

Postby ssportclay » 05 Nov 2009 15:05

Dualist701 wrote:I'm enjoying the sound of LP Gear's Shibata stylus on my Stanton 681, which apparently was originally a "EE" (silver ellipse):

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchan ... D6800EEE2S

I use the Stanton _without_ the brush, at about 1.25 grams.

It may not track quite as well as my Shure V15-V, but I prefer the sound.

Some day I may try the JICO Super Analogue Stylus on my V15-V; supposedly betters the original needle.

Interesting web page:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchan ... SHVN5MRSAS

SAS is also available as a replacement stylus for the Shure M97xe.

Ya, that's the same stylus I have. I ran it at 1.5 grams and 1.25 grams without the brush. It sounded great whenever it tracked but it proved to be unacceptable. Had I to do it over again, I would have spent more money on the JICO shibata stylus. Few people seem to own this particular stylus so there is very little information available about it. We need some reports.
ssportclay

Postby flavio81 » 05 Nov 2009 15:21

ssportclay wrote:I would have spent more money on the JICO shibata stylus. Few people seem to own this particular stylus so there is very little information available about it. We need some reports.

I think you mean the JICO "SAS" stylus. It is not a shibata. Jico also sells shibatas.

These are the stylus profiles sold by JICO:

1. Spherical
2. Elliptical
3. Shibata, a Line Contact shape.
4. Hyper Elliptical, a Line Contact shape.
5. SAS (Super Analogue Stylus), a type of Micro Ridge
flavio81
long player
long player
contributor

Postby 1200y3 » 05 Nov 2009 20:06

If you look at the Stanton web page they state te 681 EEE will accept three stylus sizes, their specs describe two different sizes so possibly their styli are "choosey" or discriminating. Stanton is reviewed as being an excellent tracker on the inside grooves. I would always recommend the original when the manufacterer still boasts about their quality (Stanton uses jewel quality diamonds.) That way you'll know the original design. Stanton was also using cone or tapered cantilevers, which are not always on affordable styli today.
1200y3
long player
long player

Postby ssportclay » 05 Nov 2009 22:04

flavio81 wrote:
ssportclay wrote:I would have spent more money on the JICO shibata stylus. Few people seem to own this particular stylus so there is very little information available about it. We need some reports.

I think you mean the JICO "SAS" stylus. It is not a shibata. Jico also sells shibatas.

These are the stylus profiles sold by JICO:

1. Spherical
2. Elliptical
3. Shibata, a Line Contact shape.
4. Hyper Elliptical, a Line Contact shape.
5. SAS (Super Analogue Stylus), a type of Micro Ridge

It would be nice if JICO offered an "SAS" stylus for the Stanton 681 but they don't. The best stylus they offer is the 681EEE-S Shibata Stylus (Quadraphonic). This seems like it should be a good stylus. I wonder who has heard it.
ssportclay

Which stylus for a Stanton?

Postby 1200y3 » 06 Nov 2009 12:37

If you are going to be playing worn records, depending on the type of stylus that caused the wear, you simply have to playback with the size or shape that sounds the best. Or use an MR or SAS to be compatible with all types of wear. (I have no experience with a JICO SAS, but the conical or elliptical will have a bigger and fuller sound and stereo image.) Choosing a shape not previously used on the record will track untouched grooves. If you are considering the original, get a 4x7. You will notice that most manufacturers state thet their 3x7 is high polished, and that is because that size needs to be. Plan for one of each size to familiarize yourself with the reasons for different styli.
1200y3
long player
long player

Next

Return to Cartridges and Preamps