the home of the turntable

my record player is too quiet...sorry im a noob

snap, crackle and pop

my record player is too quiet...sorry im a noob

Postby fanofthefloyd » 27 Sep 2009 20:23

ok guys. just started this record thing and just started on this forum so excuse my ignorances. i have my record player hooked up to my reciever. Now when i have my ipod hooked up to it...its loud as crap when its turned up half way. Now when the record player, my pioneer pl514, is hooked up, i have to turn it up all the way. Now when it is turned up all the way it's pretty loud but NO where near as loud as it should be turned all the way up. What is the deal? what should I do? any suggestions?
fanofthefloyd

Postby zenith2134 » 27 Sep 2009 20:50

Hey..... digital recordings tend to " push the envelope " in terms of peak amplitude.....at the price of (sometimes) eliminating all dynamic range and adding clipping to the programme.

Sure redbook CD, as a format, has better dynamic range than vinyl but in practice this is rarely the situation.
zenith2134

Postby analogous » 27 Sep 2009 20:57

I assume your receiver has a phono stage.

The problem, as zenith points out, is that digital formats tend to be recorded much louder than vinyl.

I assume you use a MM cart. You could try a cart with higher output, like Stanton.
analogous

Postby Beltway » 27 Sep 2009 22:15

Just to keep things simple, is it plugged into your receiver's inputs marked "phono"?
Beltway

Postby LousyTourist » 27 Sep 2009 22:34

few if any receivers nowadays have phono inputs. Dollar to donuts yours doesn't, and that's why you can't get any volume out of your turntable.

Go to radio shack, pick up their $30 phono stage, and another set of RCA cables, and insert the phono stage between your turntable and the input jacks you're using on your receiver. The phono stage will probably have a diagram of how it should be used.

You'll get a new phono stage eventually, but you'll be good to go for the next year or so with just about any phono stage.
LousyTourist
contributor

United States of America

Re: my record player is too quiet...sorry im a noob

Postby JoeE SP9 » 28 Sep 2009 00:04

fanofthefloyd wrote:ok guys. just started this record thing and just started on this forum so excuse my ignorances. i have my record player hooked up to my reciever. Now when i have my ipod hooked up to it...its loud as crap when its turned up half way. Now when the record player, my pioneer pl514, is hooked up, i have to turn it up all the way. Now when it is turned up all the way it's pretty loud but NO where near as loud as it should be turned all the way up. What is the deal? what should I do? any suggestions?

What is the brand and model of your receiver. Even better, does your receiver have an input labeled "Phono"?
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird front: Acoustat Spectra 22, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. Behringer CX2310, DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Paradigm X-30, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby fanofthefloyd » 28 Sep 2009 02:07

hey again guys.. it is a yamaha HTR-5730 reciever and i cant find phono anywhere on it. Now i know yall say its natural for digital sound to be recorded much louder but if you saw this you would be like wow this record player is WAY too quiet. I guess i have to go to radioshack?
fanofthefloyd

Postby JoeE SP9 » 28 Sep 2009 02:17

You definately need a phono preamp. It will not only give you more volume but will give the proper equalization to your LP's. They should sound a lot better along with having some volume.

The "Rat Shack unit will work but as already posted there are much better ones at every price from reasonable to unbelievable.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird front: Acoustat Spectra 22, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. Behringer CX2310, DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Paradigm X-30, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

I'm having exactly the same problem !

Postby Yunes » 10 Jan 2011 20:37

I too have a Pioneer PL-514 and it just has too low a volume.

Do you think that this pre-amp would be appropriate?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SKYTEC-MD-PRE-A ... 048&sr=8-3

Thanks ! :)
Yunes

Postby silphium » 10 Jan 2011 22:10

Yeah, if you have no "Phono" inputs on the amp or recevier you won't haer much from a turntable with a magnetic cartridge. You have three options:

1) Get a phono preamplifier, as has been suggested;

2) find an old working amp or receiver with phono inputs; or

3) put a ceramic cartridge on you turntable.

The last suggestion is the worst. A ceramic cartridge would have enough output to play through an amp's "AUX" inputs, but the riaa equalization would be absent.
silphium

Re: I'm having exactly the same problem !

Postby Alec124c41 » 11 Jan 2011 07:38

Yunes wrote:I too have a Pioneer PL-514 and it just has too low a volume.

Do you think that this pre-amp would be appropriate?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SKYTEC-MD-PRE-A ... 048&sr=8-3

Thanks ! :)

You could do a lot better for a little more.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby kelvinMunson » 11 Jan 2011 09:54

silphium wrote: A ceramic cartridge would have enough output to play through an amp's "AUX" inputs, but the riaa equalization would be absent.

Not quite true............. provided it has a high impedance load RIAA equalisation comes automatically for a ceramic cartridge,
kelvinMunson
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby fanofthefloyd » 13 Jan 2011 09:39

haha just so everyone knows...i got a preamplifier last year problem solved thank you but the ensuing conversation is interesting
fanofthefloyd

Postby student_soulie » 13 Jan 2011 10:34

An additional note on this problem: having an amp with an input labelled 'phono' doesn't necessarily mean it contains a phono stage! I bought a second hand budget Cambridge Audio amp which has a 'phono' input; I quickly found out that it didn't (obviously, as the output was extremely quiet, as described in the original post). I think this is because the internal phono stage is optional when buying the amp new. Just thought it was worth mentioning in case any other newbies read this topic and can't figure out why plugging into their phono input isn't solving the problem!
student_soulie

Postby silphium » 16 Jan 2011 03:06

Ceramics -- I did not know any of them included RIAA equalization. I always plugged them into phono inputs. Did I get double RIAA, I wonder.

PHONO inputs on amplifiers that don't include a preamp circuit for magnetic cartridges -- I had one of these, a little 8 watt stereo amp ( 4 per channel) from Olsen Electronics in Chicago, I believe it was. I bought it in about 1969. It worked with a cermic cartridge, but not magnetic. The amp also had a AUX input, too, for a tuner or tape deck.
silphium

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms