the home of the turntable

Onkyo CP-1260F Help Needed!!

snap, crackle and pop

Onkyo CP-1260F Help Needed!!

Postby leeno » 04 Sep 2009 17:14

Hi, I have an Onkyo CP1260F and my problems is that when playing a record the speakers move a lot, in and out(not hum), just moving and they move even more when I slowly tap the turntable or increase the volume.

Any suggestion or solution?. Thanks
leeno

Postby fscl » 05 Sep 2009 17:32

Hmmmm..........

Does the movement produce sound? that is interfering with the listening experience? Do you have a subsonic filter on your electronics? receiver, preamp?

Have you lubricated the spindle bearing? Is your belt sloppy? Incorrect? or non dusted?

Can you isolate the TT from the speakers? from the room dynamics?

How is your cartridge? condition?

You are witnessing rumble visually through the speakers. A combination of any and all of the above will / can cause the motion of the speaker cones. When this is loud enough you can set up some standing wave feedback through the TT and perhaps simulate an earthquake.

Good luck.

Fred and used to live in CA.....
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....WFUV Fan.
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby leeno » 07 Sep 2009 05:06

Hi Fred and thank you for responding to this topic. This is a direct drive and looks like it is running very smooth. The speaker movement doesn’t produce any sound, the cartridge is not the best(AT13Ea), it is old, but is sounds ok, however, I will need one better soon(I have to decide which one).

I didn’t want to do it, but I order a FMOD Crossover(30Hz High pass Filter) and use it as a subsonic filter to get rid of the unwanted low frequency. Because this TT don’t have a pre-amp I had to use one of my receivers as a pre-amp in order to use the FMOD. After that it got rid of 80% of the rumble. I wasn’t completely happy and I decided to run the signal through an equalizer, only after that it got rid of almost all of it, at least 98%. I have to still close the plastic cover, if not it will produce some hum.

I will lubricate the bearing if I can and get a new cartridge, but for now I am happy with the result. Thanks Again
leeno

Return to Turntables and Tonearms